Nidbane nerf

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Nidbane nerf

Postby Ozzy123 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:39 am

loftar wrote:It should of course be noted, though, that since there can only be one nidbane per crime at one time, you'll have to have committed five separate murders during the corresponding timespan for that to happen, at which point one could begin to argue that you're getting your just deserts.

What if you siege and raid a village? Or have a big fight, where you kill a lot of enemies (happend yesterday) does the fact I killed 3 guys and then a few of naked alts they used to spectate us with mean that I 100% have to lose my char? Its not fair. Going on some killing spree and killing every noob on sight and getting 5 nidbanes cus of that doesnt Sound that unfair, but raiding a village, spending 20hours to get inside and then having no chances for your char to survive nidbanes isnt fair.

I feel like if its all the bigger factions complaining about something you guys should really reconsider it, like you did with combat.
epicbuds wrote:just got this game a bad review on my website and will post on every forum and game page i can think of to tell people to stay away from this site this game is a joke

viruseg wrote:Kill all new players for no reason. Polish scum came running and killed me with a crowd. Suck fuck fucks..
Ozzy123

Postby Beezer12Washingbeard » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:03 am

What if there was a mutual combat option? 1v1 would be easy enough to implement, just add an item to the right-click menu under Spar that says "Duel" or something, and then if the other agrees you can fight, even to the death, without leaving scents since it's mutual. I really have no clue how that would work with groups that go to war though--maybe a box you click and drag over the group to indicate the enemy?

But something along the lines of an affirmative, mutual action would mean actual fights and battles could happen without everyone worrying about being nidbaned, since no actual crimes had been committed. Meanwhile, people who just jump other hearthlings still risk the 'bane. If a person or group refused the fight in bad faith (intending to fight anyway), that screws them too because all parties would leave scents and make them vulnerable to Mr. Spoopy.

Biggest disadvantage is that ambush tactics, or anything besides old-style "meet at an agreed place & time and begin fighting on our command" battles, would still result in leaving scents. But it'd help, at least, for some of the legit instances of fighting that nobody would really agree are crimes.
Beezer12Washingbeard

Postby Granger » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:29 am

spawningmink wrote:
loftar wrote:
Ozzy123 wrote:Im being 100% serious like never before on this forum, it is simply IMPOSSIBLE to not die to 5murder nidbanes. IMPOSSIBLE. If you prove me wrong ill pay subtokens

It should of course be noted, though, that since there can only be one nidbane per crime at one time, you'll have to have committed five separate murders during the corresponding timespan for that to happen, at which point one could begin to argue that you're getting your just deserts.

no you arnt, lol this game has a system where leaving scents is part of the game, 2 factions fight leaving tons of scents, some nab comes along picks up the scents and summons nidbanes on everyone? if you really think the current system is ok and does not need to be fixed you are very very wrong.... ill state it again, look at the feedback from people who are fighting nidbanes rather then from people who are farming in walls all day sending them

What you're asking is to nerf the only available method of retaliation for (likely non-pvp) players that are on the receiving side of the stick wielded by the ones who have to fight the nidbanes. So while you have my sympathy for wanting to have an easier life when it comes to the consequences of leaving scents... I'm not convinced that your feedback on them should be the only side taken into account.

Especially requests to nerf them based on quality of materials used to generate them (so only factions could generate ones that arn't a simple nuisance) sound like a bad idea for Joe Average.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby bmjclark » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:45 am

The fact that it costs 1 bar of metal and 1 wax to possibly end months of work it's pretty silly tbh.
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby Beezer12Washingbeard » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:03 am

Granger wrote:Especially requests to nerf them based on quality of materials used to generate them (so only factions could generate ones that arn't a simple nuisance) sound like a bad idea for Joe Average.

Agreed. For a filthy casual like myself, nidbanes are just about the only practical hope for some kind of retribution that I've got. If I get ganked by even a moderately serious player, without nidbanes as a serious threat there would be literally nothing I could do myself (I'd never be able to catch up), except to try and find someone who's willing to be dragged into my feud and go kill the perp for me.

I have sympathy for the folks who don't wanna get 'baned because of some legit skirmish they took part in. But the criminals and jerks need to suck it up and accept that there will (and should) be consequences for being a jerk.
Beezer12Washingbeard

Postby NOOBY93 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:28 am

Beezer12Washingbeard wrote:But the criminals and jerks need to suck it up and accept that there will (and should) be consequences for being a jerk.

This just smells like "WAAAHH WAAAAAH I KEEP GETTING KILLED BY PEOPLE WHO PLAY MORE THAN ME"

In a sandbox game with leveling, they are supposed to be allowed to do whatever you want, and you should suck it up and get friends/better stats if you don't want to get killed.

It takes a lot of effort to become strong enough so you can go around and kill everyone on sight. It doesn't take nearly as much effort to play extremely casually then whine when you die. But you know what else doesn't take a lot of effort at all? Spawning 5 nidbanes onto the person who spent A LOT of effort working on his character, therefore deleting him.
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby jorb » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:44 am

bmjclark wrote:The fact that it costs 1 bar of metal and 1 wax to possibly end months of work it's pretty silly tbh.

Doesn't cost shit to stomp noobs out of months of work, doe.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby jorb » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:48 am

DDDsDD999 wrote:Killing fresh-spawn alts is spooky as fuck, and murder alts are super useful in fights thanks to nidbanes.

Those are two valid arguments fo sho. Perhaps murder Nidbanes could use some blend or other of the victim's and offenders stats respectively.

I'm left wondering, tho, about the murder alt thing. It seems to me that murder alts become super-useful under any system which allows for successful retaliations, and I'm not sure what to think about that.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby NOOBY93 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:51 am

jorb wrote:
bmjclark wrote:The fact that it costs 1 bar of metal and 1 wax to possibly end months of work it's pretty silly tbh.

Doesn't cost shit to stomp noobs out of months of work, doe.

Doesn't cost shit to stomp aggressive players out of YEARS of work though.

If you really want everyone to be equal and have a chance in combat (therefore allowing for retaliation or not even getting killed in the first place) no matter how long they've played the game just remove combat stats altogether and make it deck based
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby jorb » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:51 am

I don't want everybody to be equal.

jorb

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas