Make palisade hand-bashable

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Make palisade hand-bashable

Postby Aceb » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:00 pm

razfen wrote:babling

Honestly, do You really believe something like THIS would stop them from making small "fortress"? Yeah, a bit more effort but no stoping, while You open griefing possibilities to all other people, who can't nor will upgrade fast enough to brickwall. Yeah, instead of 83 palisades, there would be 10 brickwalls but it wouldn't change much in this regard.

Especially considering how it is now easy to make vandal alt. Not sure how much it will change in incoming W11.
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:31 pm

Some of you guys new to this thread need to reread it. Fuck bashing palisades. Make all walls bashable. If walls are going to be vulnerable like this, ALL walls should be vulnerable. The state of the game clearly changed when the rules were changed after world 3.

An alternate option: make a 3rd wall type between brick and palisade that doesn't require steel, that isn't as sturdy, but can't be bashed. Buff brick so that it's very hard to take down, even with siege.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Granger » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:37 pm

MagicManICT wrote:An alternate option: make a 3rd wall type between brick and palisade that doesn't require steel, that isn't as sturdy, but can't be bashed.

Stone wall, build from - who would have guessed - stones and requires hard metal (a higher amount to not make them too cheap) for corners and wrought for gates?
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:15 pm

Granger wrote:requires hard metal (a higher amount to not make them too cheap) for corners and wrought for gates?

I think any metal would be fine, though if you have iron, wrought isn't even a hurdle to jump, just a step to make that isn't even high. I'd be fine leaving metal out of it all together (and would be preferable). The first stone walls were built before people had metal tools. (Maybe? Ok, I probably need to double check that statement, cause damn me if I actually know this.)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby bmjclark » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:51 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Some of you guys new to this thread need to reread it. Fuck bashing palisades. Make all walls bashable. If walls are going to be vulnerable like this, ALL walls should be vulnerable. The state of the game clearly changed when the rules were changed after world 3.

I almost guarantee that bringing back brickbashers wouldn't have the effect you're thinking it would. Hermits/noobs would get crushed, big factions would hide shit in vaults or multiple layers of walls. The fact is, w3's politics from brickbashing is never coming back because the big factions are not only smarter now, but more aggressive.

That being said, brickwalls really should do something palisades don't or have their cost reduced if they're pretty much just going to be an aesthetic choice.
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:37 am

Maybe, maybe not. All this casual raiding and noob raiding wasn't an issue until brick walls required siege engines to knock down. We didn't have a problem with hearth vaults until that point, either. Village defense was about layers of walls so you had to take a couple of days walking a ram in, repairing it along the way, and protecting it the whole time.
MagicManICT

Postby Massa » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:18 am

bmjclark wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:Some of you guys new to this thread need to reread it. Fuck bashing palisades. Make all walls bashable. If walls are going to be vulnerable like this, ALL walls should be vulnerable. The state of the game clearly changed when the rules were changed after world 3.

I almost guarantee that bringing back brickbashers wouldn't have the effect you're thinking it would. Hermits/noobs would get crushed, big factions would hide shit in vaults or multiple layers of walls. The fact is, w3's politics from brickbashing is never coming back because the big factions are not only smarter now, but more aggressive.

That being said, brickwalls really should do something palisades don't or have their cost reduced if they're pretty much just going to be an aesthetic choice.

I would be okay if it required 0 authority to smash shit, and the stat caps were WAY higher and quite extremely demanding, but possible for even hermits after a few months of investments.

I don't know the consensus in this thread on the matter of claim authority and shit, but I think active villages should retain shields to a degree.
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby TonyRigatoni » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:52 pm

+1
TonyRigatoni

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas