Make palisade hand-bashable

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Make palisade hand-bashable

Postby iamahh » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:53 pm

if you don't see the pain and trouble in a group you're probably the one causing it
iamahh

Postby NOOBY93 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:55 pm

iamahh wrote:if you don't see the pain and trouble in a group you're probably the one causing it

Have you ever even been in a faction?
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby Ukhata » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:58 pm

NOOBY93 wrote:
iamahh wrote:if you don't see the pain and trouble in a group you're probably the one causing it

Have you ever even been in a faction?

nope :)
Ukhata

Postby NOOBY93 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:03 pm

The reason the very same faction players have been playing from w3 to w10, and hermits/peacefuls/good guys come and go, is because being a hermit takes too much time and effort and doesn't pay off. It's just not as fun. But we digress, this is a C&I thread
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:17 pm

fallout wrote:Are battering rams not 4hours? Isnt this fine the way it is? Bringing back palibashing will allow you to raid an entire village if all their inner walls are palisade, requiring a battering ram for each wall was a long thought out change all ready was it not?

I thought that rams had gotten the same treatment as catapults as siege equipment... I'd have to double check patch notes, etc on this, though.

I saw a post earlier on wrecking balls, and if the battering rams aren't already "use quickly, fix early" like catapults, then maybe this is a possible change vs the wrecking ball. There really needs to be some sort of "I can easily clear my base vs siege another player" equipment, though, even if it does require some ugly rules to go along with it.

There is one other situation that this would help with that hasn't been mentioned, and that would be the walls around resources that are half claimed because you can't put a personal claim over them.

Pinkie-Pie wrote:As it should. Playing aggressively has always been more expensive then playing 'peacefully' there needs to be a high cost to it to deter random just griefing.

I agree, but the risk/reward should pay off, though, as long as it isn't random griefing. I like to use EVE as an example frequently. Look how rampant griefing has been in the past there because there was little overall risk.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby iamahh » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:20 pm

i have been in salem groups, gave up after much drama, since then only hermit and no regrets, except the possibility of another Jamestown dystopic scenario once the Titans realize what they can do with stealth and palibash... another hermit mass extinction... this time not Daworth's fault... but I realize changes are a good thing in Haven, I just won't go down without a forum fight, but with 2 months of Haven vacation maybe I'll try it again
iamahh

Postby Tammer » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:12 pm

I prefer the current mechanics, for the sake of us hermits in the world.
changed my mind
Last edited by Tammer on Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tammer

Postby Pinkie-Pie » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:43 pm

Tammer wrote:I prefer the current mechanics, for the sake of us hermits in the world.

I'm with you. This would basically make Brick walls the only viable protection after the first few months of a world, and such a feat is all but completely out of reach for a solo player, hell even for a small group getting up a brick wall is an awe worthy feat.

I understand a solo player will always be at a significant disadvantage to a group in this sort of game, but being more-less required to build a brick wall would be a nearly insurmountable barrier for solo player or very small groups.
Pinkie-Pie

Postby shubla » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:19 pm

Did anyone of you read other than the title of the first post?
There are more details.
Palisade is only hand-bashable if the shield of claim it is on is down.
Of course it would require some strength as well, but not too much.
In early world people dont have enough strength to bash them, and they take some time to dry anyway so it doesn't matter on the first few days or so.

Stop posting in my thread if you have not even read the original idea on the first post of this thread.

One more time:
1. They will have to siege all 60 000 shield points of your claim, which takes lot of time and effort.
2. When the shield claim is down, if they have enough strength they can break palisade walls by hand.

This would fix some of the current problems of raiding places with lots of palisade compartments easier. As those can be kind of abused.
If somebody wants additional protection in top of shield claim + walls he must build brickwall. This idea would also make brickwalls more "useful" as you could build one if you want some extra protection. But you could do just fine without building a brickwall, as long as you dont let them siege your place down.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Tammer » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:15 pm

shubla wrote:

A hermit should be able to go on vacation for a week or so without having to alt vault all their stuff and then rebuild their base.

When you run out of presence the claim shield is automatically down. The walls should provide some protection against casual thieves, but any thief is going to have a 500+ strength or whatever alt if palisade bashing is back. Instead of hand bashing a thief should have to use siege engines, get lucky with no-one removing a wrecking ball for 24 hours, or wait for decay.

I changed my mind. Pclaims retain presence long enough. Let's bash.
Last edited by Tammer on Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tammer

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas