Make palisade hand-bashable

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Make palisade hand-bashable

Postby shubla » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:08 pm

iamahh wrote:this would only screw the pacific, casual players that won't bot, and the noobs

population of unique players without bot will fall

Did you even read the OP? :roll:
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby newaccountlol » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:23 pm

I will say this again it's just dumb that some geezer hermit can throw up a giant wooden wall over night with hardly any effort. Unrealistic AF
newaccountlol

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:00 am

newaccountlol wrote:I will say this again it's just dumb that some geezer hermit can throw up a giant wooden wall over night with hardly any effort. Unrealistic AF

And what about my ability to outplay you? Afraid to drop a siege engine? But if you want to talk about unrealistic... you know how long it takes to dig out a 200m tunnel by hand with a pickaxe? I don't. I've never tried, but we sure can knock down walls a meter at a time in minutes.

And in case you missed it earlier, your outburst here is completely not related to the subject. The idea is to make it bashable with the shield down or when the claim has ran out of authority.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Tanchist » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:19 am

newaccountlol wrote:I will say this again it's just dumb that some geezer hermit can throw up a giant wooden wall over night with hardly any effort. Unrealistic AF

I'm a hermit. Guess what is my opinion about who is dumb. ;)
Have you ever tried to throw up a giant wooden wall over night like a hermit, cutting your own trees, cooking your own bone glue from the bones of what you hunt alone, see how effortless it is?
Wastelands. Ruins everywhere from proud civilizations, with today's survivors scavenging whatever they can carry even if they can't even use it. Eating rats cooked alive is OK for everyone. Walking around naked is natural, since very few have time to waste in getting a rag to cover their deep wounds. And the game is only Alpha.
Tanchist

Postby razfen » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:01 pm

bumping for relevancy due to it being a thing i'd like to see changed in w11.

The thing about palisades, is that it's very cheap and once your walls dry, you have to siege the claim. It is such a cheap thing to do, that people set up safe houses on every supergrid and if the fight doesn't go well, they just run in the closest safe house, wait a few hours and then continue doing what they did before that (killing nabs at CF). The issue is not about the safe houses existing, the problem is that it is much easier to set them up, than it is to destroy them. First off, I'd have to actively search around in a vast area for any newly built safe houses to destroy them before the walls dry or the claim sets. This is basically the equivalent to legacy ramchecking, but in a MUCH bigger scale that requires an ABSOLUTELY retarded amount of effort to protect against.

But then again, there's also a claim shield you have to deal with, even if the walls are bashable by hand. Therefore my proposal is that claim shields can be directly attacked by bashing palisade walls on the claim. This is, however extremely wonky, because what if your village consists of several brickwalls and a single palisade on somebody's local claim outside of the main village walls? Is it feasible that you can damage the whole village claim shield just because some retard didn't upgrade to a brick wall? I'd like some talk about this subject.

Still though, the main issue is the current siege mechanics coupled with the cheapness of palisades, which gives freedom for people to lay down safe palisades wherever they please.
MagicManICT wrote:Not really any purpose of this thread other than to get a simple answer that some of you special children don't seem to know how to give. Everyone's got to be a fukkin comedian....
razfen

Postby SaltyCrate » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:18 pm

razfen wrote:But then again, there's also a claim shield you have to deal with, even if the walls are bashable by hand. Therefore my proposal is that claim shields can be directly attacked by bashing palisade walls on the claim. This is, however extremely wonky, because what if your village consists of several brickwalls and a single palisade on somebody's local claim outside of the main village walls? Is it feasible that you can damage the whole village claim shield just because some retard didn't upgrade to a brick wall? I'd like some talk about this subject.

There will be no claim shields.
SaltyCrate

Postby blinx » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:55 am

Too easy for any random person to walk by and decide to be a dick and bash down palis. We have enough greiferdom in the world without that nonsense. I like that you have to actually invest a little time and effort if you want to break into someone else's place so you can't just go around playing wreck-it ralph on every hermitage you pass.

It also makes more logical sense. I can build a wall BY HAND that you would have more trouble dismantling by hand - especially from the outside, as the load-bearing supports and binding materials would ideally be on my side of the wall. That's kind of how defensive fortifications work. That's why we invented them.
blinx

Postby Yorla » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:40 pm

First off, I'd have to actively search around in a vast area for any newly built safe houses to destroy them before the walls dry or the claim sets. This is basically the equivalent to legacy ramchecking, but in a MUCH bigger scale that requires an ABSOLUTELY retarded amount of effort to protect against.

So, was that you who destroyed my son's fresh claim heck far away from CF just to satisfy your paranoia? :\

Don't forget there are people in the game who don't have time or desire to play wars. Right now pali is the only answer to them. You gonna loose much more than gain by making palisades handbashable.
And here I should apologize for my spelling... But I won't! Deal with it :P
Yorla

Postby Hrenli » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:43 pm

razfen wrote:But then again, there's also a claim shield

No there isn't. It was quite clearly stated during the stream that they are thing of the past.
Too old to rock-n-roll, too young to die.
Hrenli

Postby razfen » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:55 pm

blinx wrote:-1

Too easy for any random person to walk by and decide to be a dick and bash down palis. We have enough greiferdom in the world without that nonsense. I like that you have to actually invest a little time and effort if you want to break into someone else's place so you can't just go around playing wreck-it ralph on every hermitage you pass.

It also makes more logical sense. I can build a wall BY HAND that you would have more trouble dismantling by hand - especially from the outside, as the load-bearing supports and binding materials would ideally be on my side of the wall. That's kind of how defensive fortifications work. That's why we invented them.

If you honestly think your nab plots would be affected by this, then you haven't been playing this game for long enough. If I can choose between getting griefed because I built a palisade instead of a brickwall, or getting griefed by 83 safe palis scattered around my village that i have to siege individually, I'd probably choose the first option.

The thing is that you always have your option to upgrade to a brickwall (it's not as hard to get as you think), whilst griefers would have a rather hard time hoarding bricks and spending steel on building brickwalls around my village.

Hrenli wrote:No there isn't. It was quite clearly stated during the stream that they are thing of the past.

SaltyCrate wrote:There will be no claim shields.

Oh I wasn't aware of that.
MagicManICT wrote:Not really any purpose of this thread other than to get a simple answer that some of you special children don't seem to know how to give. Everyone's got to be a fukkin comedian....
razfen

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas