What is up with the tracking and crime?

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

What is up with the tracking and crime?

Postby Aluraine » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:22 am

Does Trespassing work against tracking? I got robbed entirely and I really am tired of that happening in this game. I can't even play a toon for more than 2 days before someone comes up, destroys things FOR NO REASON and literally robs me blind without a trace EVEN WITH the claim up guarding my stuff! I've gone through guide after guide, you have none against in game dickitry. I just can't take this anymore because that isn't survival. I payed to validate my account and now I'm just about to request a refund and never look back nor suggest this game.
How can one request people not troll on the boards but let them troll players inside the game in so many ridiculously unsportsmanlike ways is beyond me.

PVP is one thing but letting people steal and destroy just encourages poor game play all around for any newcomers.
Aluraine

Re: What is up with the tracking and crime?

Postby stya » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:23 am

Make a pali maybe?

You should perhaps reread guides/forum, looks like you missed some key elements :)
stya

Postby NOOBY93 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:30 am

Aluraine wrote:Does Trespassing work against tracking? I got robbed entirely and I really am tired of that happening in this game. I can't even play a toon for more than 2 days before someone comes up, destroys things FOR NO REASON and literally robs me blind without a trace EVEN WITH the claim up guarding my stuff! I've gone through guide after guide, you have none against in game dickitry. I just can't take this anymore because that isn't survival. I payed to validate my account and now I'm just about to request a refund and never look back nor suggest this game.
How can one request people not troll on the boards but let them troll players inside the game in so many ridiculously unsportsmanlike ways is beyond me.

PVP is one thing but letting people steal and destroy just encourages poor game play all around for any newcomers.

Just build out of sight of a river and focus on making a palisade as fast as possible. That's the whole point of the mechanic. Preventing people from breaking/stealing your shit.

Btw this isn't a "survival game" in the classic sense
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby Tsutla » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:46 am

NOOBY93 wrote:Does Trespassing work against tracking?

http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Abilities#Stealth

As for securing your possesions. Claim is fully traversable until 8 real-time hours pass, you log in after that period and cross your claim to "activate" it. Dumping all your shit in one place just after setting up claim doesn't guarantee it's safety. To add to this, leaving interesting loot, like leather/hide stacks or drying hides, makes it more tempting for griefers as they'll simply snatch it to delay your progress, namely chances for building a palisade.

NOOBY93 wrote:Just build out of sight of a river and focus on making a palisade as fast as possible.

This. Golden rule is to try building at least two grids away, so you won't immediately pop up on minimap for passing vikings. It is inconvenient, but unless you're strong enough or part of a faction that can withstand the waterside harrasment, it's simply playing with fate.

NOOBY93 wrote:Btw this isn't a "survival game" in the classic sense

Oh, but it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1tj2zJ2Wvg
Last edited by Tsutla on Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tsutla

Postby ven » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:00 am

Aluraine

Hey I remember you from w7! You lived near Blueberry Hill and I had an outpost nearby.

Take a look at this: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40714
Basically you need to build a palisade and set up a personal claim over its entire area. After you've done that, the chance of someone griefing you drops significantly.
Venator
ven

Postby Aluraine » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:26 am

That's what I was doing except I was on the way to the palisade, I saw the changes in the game. I made sure my claim was set up and active. I still got robbed with no footprints. I am not kidding or over-reacting the slightest when I say I keep getting trolled in game. It's like there are people who are just hell bent on making other players lives hell. Like WHO DESTROYS PAVED GROUND FOR NO REASON?! I did a nice pattern they literally thrashed it just to trash it. They hit me for days randomly nothing important, just destroying to destroy; I've moved camps and I'm gonna have to do that again and again. Last day they just jacked EVERYTHING they could study basically along with my tools and weapons. Course no footprints. I'm sitting there poking the screen like "great".
Seriously a breathing period needs to be put in or something; it's bad enough people choose to do this anyways. There's no war and no struggle for space or resources. Hell it took me a while to even find anyone close to me let alone be wandered upon by some nice active player.

And yeah I had a camp before Ven, I remember you; Life swallowed me alive (Father died, had to move, stuff like that); but I came back!.. Only to wish I hadn't because I thought it was bad over a year ago, at least the crimes made sense to me.
Aluraine

Postby TurtleHermit » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:31 am

I had this problem for a long time. You probably choose poorly neighbourhood and someone with a lot higher stats leave scents that aren't just visible for You. (if claim is active, they have to leave scents, those are always there, unless, You cannot see them which I believe is the case).

Seriously a breathing period needs to be put in or something;

And this is a no-no, as believe me, it would make things worse, especially for us, smaller ones.

Just don't give up until You manage to find proper place. :)
TurtleHermit

Postby ven » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:06 am

Aluraine wrote:That's what I was doing except I was on the way to the palisade, I saw the changes in the game. I made sure my claim was set up and active. I still got robbed with no footprints. I am not kidding or over-reacting the slightest when I say I keep getting trolled in game. It's like there are people who are just hell bent on making other players lives hell. Like WHO DESTROYS PAVED GROUND FOR NO REASON?! I did a nice pattern they literally thrashed it just to trash it. They hit me for days randomly nothing important, just destroying to destroy; I've moved camps and I'm gonna have to do that again and again. Last day they just jacked EVERYTHING they could study basically along with my tools and weapons. Course no footprints. I'm sitting there poking the screen like "great".
Seriously a breathing period needs to be put in or something; it's bad enough people choose to do this anyways. There's no war and no struggle for space or resources. Hell it took me a while to even find anyone close to me let alone be wandered upon by some nice active player.

And yeah I had a camp before Ven, I remember you; Life swallowed me alive (Father died, had to move, stuff like that); but I came back!.. Only to wish I hadn't because I thought it was bad over a year ago, at least the crimes made sense to me.

Sorry to hear that. Hope your family is alright.
You might have a better time if you join a larger group. You don't even need to live with them and could make a hermitage somewhat farther and by yourself. It's safer because the people who do that sort of thing are usually those too scared to come close to a large village (and target lone players instead), and a friendly group can also support you with more precise advice, come to your place to check if your walls are fine and you're doing something wrong, track the criminals when they're bored etc.

If you like doing paving art it's even better because those people usually make a lot of effort to draw stuff on every bit of land they have inside and they'd sure want an extra hand.
Venator
ven

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:26 am

There's plenty of areas where there aren't problems. You might just be in a bad spot. Sounds like you know a few people. Put out some feelers with who you trust about setting up camp near them. Friendly neighbors make for better game play. Even if you don't do much together, you can get together to hunt or some trading/sharing.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Aluraine » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:37 am

Tsutla wrote:
As for securing your possesions. Claim is fully traversable until 8 real-time hours pass, you log in after that period and cross your claim to "activate" it. Dumping all your shit in one place just after setting up claim doesn't guarantee it's safety. To add to this, leaving interesting loot, like leather/hide stacks or drying hides, makes it more tempting for griefers as they'll simply snatch it to delay your progress, namely chances for building a palisade..

Ok THAT bit I didn't know on the 8 real time hours thing. That sounds extremely irritating. I must live on a large island resort of freaking griefers. I found who jacked me and of course his stuff is all nicely set up.. he even left a welcoming sign like mine with his screenname on it minus the friendly bits.
I've got 4 toons now set up crossing over the lands just learning and lvling their crap. I plan to converge them inevitably somewhere on the map and literally set up my own stronghold. How I am gonna converge them without them spawning close to eachother I Don't know yet but it's going to be fun to find out!
Hopefully I wont pick another bad neighborhood.. Its just sad all my toons are nomads once more... though instead of a breathing period how bout make it easier to protect your stuff? like that mechanism thing you learn, is there traps included in that because last I saw there wasn't (dunno have to relearn).. I'd love it if someone tried to enter my house and a bucket of hot coals fell on them and set them ablaze or a non curable poison dart shot them from a rigged crate lol.
Aluraine

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas