Moving in game

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Moving in game

Postby shampizle » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:10 pm

Instead of always having to click anyone feel a good idea to have if u click and hold u go the direction that ur mouse is?
shampizle

Re: Moving in game

Postby isdel » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:26 pm

It's been suggested as far back as World 1, it probably won't happen due to the issue of spamming the server with move commands. Part of the reason Haven uses RTS controls instead of being an action game is to make a single-shard world possible while maintaining decent performance (just my assumption, but I think it's accurate).
isdel

Postby shampizle » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:35 pm

Ahhh well that sucks I didn't think it would be that crazy. But I guess I was wrong
shampizle

Postby Jacobian123 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:07 pm

WASD controls are used in Salem, dunno why they haven't been put into haven yet.
W3-W8 - Hermit
W9 - (Ex)-Leader of Vidarrheim

Image Image Image
Jacobian123

Postby maze » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:24 pm

We do have the follow command.

it would not be far off to assume the same code line could be used to follow the mouse while button is pressed.
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Postby ven » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:59 pm

Ken's client had that feature. Unless loftar changed something important I think this can still be done on custom clients.
Venator
ven

Postby isdel » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:05 pm

maze wrote:We do have the follow command.

it would not be far off to assume the same code line could be used to follow the mouse while button is pressed.

That can be done entirely server-side, though. It's just telling one entity to follow another. Your mouse cursor isn't server-side.
isdel

Postby NOOBY93 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:08 pm

isdel wrote:
maze wrote:We do have the follow command.

That can be done entirely server-side, though. It's just telling one entity to follow another. Your mouse cursor isn't server-side.

Correct, in this case you'd have to send a packet of the location of your mouse every single time you move it slightly. Bad idea
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:00 am

Depends on bandwidth and server processing time you'd want to use. You don't necessarily need to update the mouse every time it moves, just poll it every 100 ms (maybe 50) for changes in position, and if isn't moving, delay polling it until it does move (assumes mouse is in same relative position to character). FYI, MMOs have been doing this since 1999, maybe earlier. Doesn't eat up that much bandwidth and processing time. A modern processor can run thousands of thin clients (client with absolutely no user interface or graphics) simultaneously.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Return to Critique & Ideas