Devs should focus on balancing things

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Devs should focus on balancing things

Postby shubla » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:50 pm

There are lot of items, foods, curios and other stuff that arent quite well balanced. Theres no point in making some items. Devs should focus on balancing these things. They could collect feedback about items to a big thread in forums where everybody could list things that they think are unbalanced by someway.

Some examples of unbalanced items. Wonderful Wilderness Wurst. It requires many types of meat to make, but it is seriously one of the worst foods in the whole game. 20% hunger and 12 +1 psy/will. It is completely useless.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Re: Devs should focus on balancing things

Postby xdragonlord18 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:45 pm

shubla wrote:There are lot of items, foods, curios and other stuff that arent quite well balanced. Theres no point in making some items. Devs should focus on balancing these things. They could collect feedback about items to a big thread in forums where everybody could list things that they think are unbalanced by someway.

Some examples of unbalanced items. Wonderful Wilderness Wurst. It requires many types of meat to make, but it is seriously one of the worst foods in the whole game. 20% hunger and 12 +1 psy/will. It is completely useless.

u really think they care about balance when they just pick the stats of foods off the top of their heads they dont add stuff cuz the game needs it they add stuff because they feel like it
Ysh wrote:You all forget that bucket is include. I think with bucket it is fair price.
xdragonlord18

Postby shubla » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:46 pm

xdragonlord18 wrote:
shubla wrote:There are lot of items, foods, curios and other stuff that arent quite well balanced. Theres no point in making some items. Devs should focus on balancing these things. They could collect feedback about items to a big thread in forums where everybody could list things that they think are unbalanced by someway.

u really think they care about balance when they just pick the stats of foods off the top of their heads they dont add stuff cuz the game needs it they add stuff because they feel like it

Im asking them to care about balance and you come to derail my thread. Please.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
shubla

Postby jorb » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:03 pm

xdragonlord18 wrote:u really think they care about balance when they just pick the stats of foods off the top of their heads they dont add stuff cuz the game needs it they add stuff because they feel like it

Talking out of your ass. Of course we care about balance. We add things for several reason, both on perceived need, and more or less randomly. I don't think that the former method is somehow intrinsically better or more significant. The game technically doesn't need anything.

That being said it is always going to be the case, as an item's usefulness is relative to the usefulness of other items in the game, that there is a spread between useful and less useful items. Not everything can or should be great.

Buffing the worst item makes something else the worst item instead.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Avu » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:56 pm

jorb wrote:
xdragonlord18 wrote:u really think they care about balance when they just pick the stats of foods off the top of their heads they dont add stuff cuz the game needs it they add stuff because they feel like it

Talking out of your ass. Of course we care about balance. We add things for several reason, both on perceived need, and more or less randomly. I don't think that the former method is somehow intrinsically better or more significant. The game technically doesn't need anything.

That being said it is always going to be the case, as an item's usefulness is relative to the usefulness of other items in the game, that there is a spread between useful and less useful items. Not everything can or should be great.

Buffing the worst item makes something else the worst item instead.

Not if you do it right. If you do it right you'd have two worst items but less bad than the previous wort one. Keep doing it right and you'll have lots of worst items that aren't all that bad really.
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

Postby isdel » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:20 pm

jorb wrote:That being said it is always going to be the case, as an item's usefulness is relative to the usefulness of other items in the game, that there is a spread between useful and less useful items. Not everything can or should be great.

That reasoning holds in the general case, but for stuff like the WWW it really makes no sense for something so expensive to be so bad. At the very least it needs to be good enough to justify crafting it over all the other stuff you could make with its ingredients (plus some extra for the logistics involved). Hell, it could even be the best food for the relevant stats since the pain-in-the-ass factor should prevent most people from making it to the exclusion of all other foods.
isdel

Postby Ysh » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:31 pm

jorb wrote:Buffing the worst item makes something else the worst item instead.

Only true insofar as all item is judge on same metric. Is food that give +1 STR or +1 CON better? Depend on if you want STR or CON. Do this for all item. It is ideal for all item to have some niche for it.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby jorb » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:52 pm

Sure, the FEP system is relatively differentiated. That's not as true for the curiosity system, however.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby shubla » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:55 pm

jorb wrote:Sure, the FEP system is relatively differentiated. That's not as true for the curiosity system, however.

Some stuff.
Like leather balls.
Are just too bad.
shubla

Postby Beezer12Washingbeard » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:58 pm

Agreed. And in the specific case of WWW, maybe simply bumping all the stats (or at least a handful of them) up to +2 would make it more worth it, similar to how you statted out the walrus sausage on the livestream. The FEP/hunger will still be bad, but the sausage would be more worth it for that +2 chance
Beezer12Washingbeard

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas