Permadeath

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Permadeath

Postby giantsfrey » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:30 am

I'm sorta nooby here, but played one of the older worlds as well as the current one. I never quite made it to end-game level gear and stuff, though. I think my experience with H&H is a common one, and could be part of the reason it's hard to gain new players here: Permadeath is a huge downer. I get it, and it's cool and sorta unique and rare and badass, but if you want new people to come and play the game, and learn it, and enjoy it, you're shooting yourself in the foot by allowing non-mutual PvP permanent killings of late-game players on noobs. Let me explain:

I like the game. it's great. I start the world a lil late cuz i'm not an H&H pro/veteran, and don't know when worlds are opening. I put a week of work in, increasing skills, playing daily, then I'm out wandering around one day and some dude rides up on a horse with freakin' waraxes and metal armor and gear and just slays me on the spot and leaves with my skeleton. I log back in and see i have to start over with a pittance of my stats, and after journeying to the scene of the crime there is no skeleton to be had. great. F this, I quit.

To me, i see several options, ESPECIALLY if you go the Pay-to-Play route:
1) allow players to choose to be in PVP mode, or not, via a toggle
2) Only allow PvP for players within a certain range of stats. EG: a player with 150,000 total LP spent cannot aggro a player under 50k LP spent. Or use Intelligence, or some other stat. I don't know.
3) You can only murder people who have also researched murder. or if you murder a player who hasn't researched it, they only lose inventory items, not their stats, or something like that.
4) if Pay-to-Play is mandatory, you could use the income to host multiple worlds--one for noobs, and one with pvp. Then perhaps after reaching a certain point, or at their own risk, players could merge their noob character into the pvp, but not bring in any items--only their stats and naked self.

These are just some options/ideas I had. if it's all been mentioned before, my apologies. I think they're all options for making the game more beginner-friendly. I know, everyone hates noobs, but keep in mind, everyone is a noob at some point, and if you want your game to live on, you have to groom the noobs and keep bringing in new players.

Cheers, all
-giantsfrey/Frey/Freya
giantsfrey

Re: Permadeath

Postby Direkled » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:22 pm

I feel like we've had this thread a few too many times.
Direkled

Postby Headchef » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:54 pm

Direkled wrote:I feel like we've had this thread a few too many times.

That's why the other 70 people that viewed the thread before you commented, did not. :D

But yeah people like this don't understand the game, pretty much.
Headchef

Postby abt79 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:41 pm

Go play minecraft
abt79

Postby uncleseano » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:51 pm

This thread will go down well
uncleseano

Postby Jacobian123 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:58 am

W3-W8 - Hermit
W9 - (Ex)-Leader of Vidarrheim

Image Image Image
Jacobian123

Postby Kirche » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:57 am

you'd begin to think there was a problem if this is the case.
Kirche

Postby giantsfrey » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:33 am

Yes, I was fairly certain this had been brought up ad nauseum, and that the 50 elite players that post here frequently would not take kindly to it, but i searched through the forums a bit, saw nothing recent about it, and decided to roll the dice and throw in my 2 cents.
Jacobian123 wrote:http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44710

This was helpful, and makes good sense. I still think there is something to be gained by preventing needless slayings of underdeveloped players, but i get that it is hard to enforce, find a place to draw the line, or code for. And, of course, the devs seem to not be interested in finding such a way, even if it were easy. My counter to jorb's train of thought is that i'm not saying you shouldn't be allowed to randomly aggro and knock players out, enforce your will, and take their stuff. I only dislike the permadeath part for elites slaying rookies.

I have one more idea on this:
in order to kill a player permanently you could first have to unlock some sort of cassus belli, perhaps?--a public decree of sorts that justifies the slaying. and if a killer has no valid cause, then institute tougher consequences of some variety, like lowering relevant stat(s)? This could fit into a nice bit of Lore in gameplay. What's the downside for the elites in just maiming a player, rather than fully killing them, anyways? It's not like they gain much from killing a noob, and nobody is going to stick around the area where an elite dude keeps knocking them out and threatening them if they don't gtfo. :/

Just some food for thought, duderz
giantsfrey

Postby Direkled » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:06 pm

Kirche wrote:

you'd begin to think there was a problem if this is the case.

But you can't solve the problem by limiting or removing PvP. That just creates other problems. Like people abusing new characters to piss off other people or even just using them during big faction fights to recover bodies without you being able to stop them.
Direkled

Postby Ozzy123 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:11 pm

giantsfrey wrote:To me, i see several options, ESPECIALLY if you go the Pay-to-Play route:
1) allow players to choose to be in PVP mode, or not, via a toggle

How do you expect people to read ur shit when you are writing stuff like that? It's like saying to turn of PVP in counter strike or League of Legends, that shit won't happen.
epicbuds wrote:just got this game a bad review on my website and will post on every forum and game page i can think of to tell people to stay away from this site this game is a joke

viruseg wrote:Kill all new players for no reason. Polish scum came running and killed me with a crowd. Suck fuck fucks..
Ozzy123

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas