Thoughts and Ideas mostly on Combat

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Thoughts and Ideas mostly on Combat

Postby ForumAlt » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:16 am

Hey guys!

I love this game! but i still have some concerns about combat... and not only since last patch.

Patch changes weren't so bad really... except for Artful Evasion that got destroyed :P

Ideas:
Artful Evasion should remove a low flat amount (maybe 3-5% on a 30-50sec CD) on all openings making it different from other defensive moves and easier to balance since a move that removes all openings the same way other defensive moves does would always be overused or useless. Also that way we could have a d.move that would be more powerful in the beginning of the battle or used to actually fully remove low openings for a better use of that nerfed Dash :P
U could be either on CD or on %

But that is not all ... there are many other moves that no matter how hard I try, I cannot seem to make good use of them.
I'm talking about these -> Feigned Dodge - Regain Composure - Watch Its Moves - Yield Ground - Ravens Bite ??

Ideas:
Feigned Dodge just cannot be played well mostly because it is green. But what if you could increase your own Green Opening ?
What if Yield Ground was Blue and Red ? increasing Green and Yellow for a use in combination with Feigned Dodge ? I know removing Blue and Red openings at such a small cost seems OP (mostly in PVP) But maybe then Ravens Bite would start to shine a bit more. Also by having Zig Zag and Yield Ground(Blue and Red) Green would become the hardest Opening to remove which would make sense since there is no good Green focused Damaging moves (Stings Applies Blue and Ravens is still rather weak 110%*) making Green a bit more handy.

Complex Ideas: Toggles

Watch Its Moves - I think Watch its Moves should be a Toggle Action during (X seconds) in which if your opponent performs a Defensive or Offensive action (Take Aim - Think - Stance Change not included) you gain 2 IP and get a 10-15/U CD afterwards. Being visible to the opponent like any other move when used, unless used at the perfect time, Watch Its Moves could be countered easily in PvP but would still prove useful against animals with High Agi, player who aren't paying attention and simply add a bit of mind game in PvP.

Regain Composure - this one... clearly no one is using it :P
The name gave me the idea of a toggle that makes you unable to move or perform any action for (5+- seconds) and afterwards remove your biggest opening...
Being only usable if you have an opening which is at already (50%/U) or more would make this move useful but risky.

and thats it for now! but I have more ideas and not only for combat :D but maybe my ideas aren't good :( so please let me know and then maybe i'll post more :P
ForumAlt

Re: Thoughts and Ideas mostly on Combat

Postby Sollar » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:00 am

ForumAlt wrote:Regain Composure - this one... clearly no one is using it :P
The name gave me the idea of a toggle that makes you unable to move or perform any action for (5+- seconds) and afterwards remove your biggest opening...
Being only usable if you have an opening which is at already (50%/U) or more would make this move useful but risky.

Also change the name of the move to - "Suicide".

Like the idea of toggles tho. Also I have a simple idea of my own. What if finishing moves completly removed all the openings on the character getting hit (after landing and dealing all the damage ofc)? That way attackers would take better care of timing their cleaves. Also in ganking scenarios - that seem to be 90% of the pvp battles - would let the one being attacked a breath window betwen attacks, while also forcing the attackers to play smarter and having less advantage in numbers.

Arguably if removing all the openings or just the colours they hit - for ex. a cleave hit will reset all blue and red openings.
Sollar

Re: Thoughts and Ideas mostly on Combat

Postby pedorlee » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:19 am

My ideas:

-Bigger icons situated in the upper part of the screen. Beeing in the middle doesnt help in a game where you get stuck in every square.
-Better descriptions and more visual techniques. The player doesnt need to calculate deltas, he needs to see what skills do in a dynamic context. Right now the only visible thing is damage in armor, health bar, cooldown and basically the speed of the character against the other.
- Obviously algorithms are mathematic but devs should translate them so the costumer get a plain and easy to understand description about them.
-In the begining screen, where you choose your char, there could be a button for a tutorial that leads to a small area like the char creation one. There the most basic habilities or skills could be explained in phases so the player understands how it works and how decisions can affect him.

Right now just veterans seem to understand how it works and new players have another huge disadvantadge.
And well, not even vets really know how it works.
pedorlee

Return to Critique & Ideas