Combat Idea-Removal of openings/UA/MC

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Combat Idea-Removal of openings/UA/MC

Postby maze » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:02 am

This idea was already tested in early worlds.
it was highly exploitable by using custom clients, bots and alts.
idea was quickly scrapped.

Dodge = chance.
We don't like chance here.

details would be annoying to explain.
but combat bots have come and gone with ever system.
no doubt they will make their appearance with our current new one soon.
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Postby ricky » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:08 am

Ozzy123 wrote:
pheonix wrote:Posts: 77

pheonix wrote:Combat Idea-Removal of openings/UA/MC

pheonix wrote:Combat Idea

pheonix wrote:77

I'm not going to defend the OP's suggestion, but judging a person's in game experience by their postcount/forum game experience is a pretty dick move.

that being said, here's an idea: what would be the benefits/drawbacks of removing the IP system and replacing IP moves with card combos?

instead of chop + cleave taking IP, you would have to slash>chop>chop>cleave
Have a question? Need help? Tired of people asking questions? Haven and Hearth Wiki.
jorb wrote:Ideally the game should play itself.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
ricky

Postby LostJustice » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:15 am

I agree with the idea that openings need to be removed because they promote ganks, basically who ever has more openers win and not who actually has better stats making stats less important and numbers more important to an extent. Not to mention smaller groups and villages do not stand a chance to any combat making it inaccessible to these groups or die trying situation. But I also more stronlgy agree that RNG in combat is a terrible idea and should be avoided. I have no better solution to this but yeah, openings is just bad as is in groups.
LostJustice

Postby pheonix » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:12 am

maze wrote:This idea was already tested in early worlds.
it was highly exploitable by using custom clients, bots and alts.
idea was quickly scrapped.

Dodge = chance.
We don't like chance here.

details would be annoying to explain.
but combat bots have come and gone with ever system.
no doubt they will make their appearance with our current new one soon.

I mentioned dodge because atm the client cant handle actually dodging attacks for alot of people (strangely i have 50-60 fps on multiple comps) and actually dodging and moving from an attacks is vastly superior to have a stat that gives it, but i don't see many people dodging if its 1-3 fps in fights. I originally played w7 and never got the hang of its fighting style with no one to teach me and only did ranged combat. Then I went onto salem when it was run by jorb and loftar and loved their combat style because it was easy to learn and was all about timing your attacks and running and dodging attacks. You wanted to fight a deer, you could at starting level but it would one shot you and still would one shot you if you couldnt dodge its charge with higher HP and it was always fun to go out hunting as each bear/beaver/deer wasnt a bland fight where you stared at each other and smacked them with a few attacks until shield is off and then 1 shot dead. Go fight a bear and not pay 100% attention and get stunned by its stomp and smacked a few times and if you tried to range it, the roar would get you as well as making it impossible to slowly whittle it down.

Honestly atm the combat feels like we are all playing glass cannons, and when our defenses drop we go pop and months on a character are all gone because you didnt have that colour defense or too many simultaneous hits of 1 colour in the span of 4-6 seconds. Look at any of ozzys fights (with music off) and its basically him chasing people down and when he corners them theres nothing they can do of any meaning because if they tried to target and take someones shields off as they run in hit with one colour their buddies will move in to block as he drops back and goes back to 100% shield essentially making them invulnerable. Without openings they wouldve walked away with the kill anyways because most people are uncoordinated and panicy but at least they die knowing they hit the bastards and it hurt them.

I hesitated to mention it because alot of people hate Salem and foam at the mouth at the thought of it, there were ALOT of bad systems and incomplete stuff there, but it did have a few good points. The current version is complete shit now because of they sold it to the guy who was bug abusing their game non stop and made it a cesspool for the only 3 friends he had left. Also im permabanned there so i hate it just as much as anyone else, but i wont lie to myself that i didnt enjoy going out and hunting bears and later on wishpoosh/hydroturkey/argopelters that could permakill. I wanna see Haven grow and do better and were in eternal alpha, i thought the point was to play with systems until they find the one that works for all and that's by taking the good from other games and putting them together.
pheonix

Postby abt79 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:03 pm

So rather than people dying because they're shit at combat, we should just roll some dice until some unlucky sap dies first? Last world combat was definitely more glass cannon-y, but the size of the hits you're taking relative to your health won't change the fact that your entire defense being based on an evasion chance means that there is no skill involved in combat beyond "what hit does most damage, I'll spam that one"

Bullshit, skill is always superior to chance and in no way will this change that the only way to fight is in large gank squads or, for a true fair fight, 1v1
abt79

Postby Kirche » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:18 pm

I have a great idea, whenever you initiate combat with another person, there should be a coinflip and whichever person loses should instantly die

sounds pretty cool right ¦]
Kirche

Postby Ozzy123 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:02 pm

Kirche wrote:I have a great idea, whenever you initiate combat with another person, there should be a coinflip and whichever person loses should instantly die

sounds pretty cool right ¦]

LOL good idea WE HAVE NEVER HEARD IT BEFORE GREAT IDEA

epicbuds wrote:just got this game a bad review on my website and will post on every forum and game page i can think of to tell people to stay away from this site this game is a joke

viruseg wrote:Kill all new players for no reason. Polish scum came running and killed me with a crowd. Suck fuck fucks..
Ozzy123

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:06 pm

DRINK WHILE RUNNING COMBAT AINT LOOKIN THAT BAD AFTER WHOAA!! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM
ChildhoodObesity

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas