Combat Idea-Removal of openings/UA/MC

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Combat Idea-Removal of openings/UA/MC

Postby pheonix » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:39 am

I have been thinking about a combat system and discussing this at length with my comrades about a system that promotes 1v1 and group combat, because as of now the combat system we have is designed for 1v1.We are seeing alot of battles this world, well to be more precise we are seeing alot of ganks where if the enemy outnumbers you, then flee and get hunted down and hope some get away. I don't know about alot of people but the videos im seeing are sooooooooooo boring to watch its run run run stop to drink get corned and die, its embarrassing that combat has gotten to this point.

The big issues facing the combat atm is the fact that all attacks are 100% hit and single target based which is made worse with the latest change giving ip to the attackers when using defenses. So not only do you have to stop to drink and use defenses but you give them ip for more powerful attacks and ensures that if a 2v1 situation occurs you have a 90% chance to die.

The proposal i have for changing the combat system would require a fair bit of rework but would hopefully put an end to people wanting the combat changed as it evens the playing field for players in 1v1, group and PvE and the devs can focus on more important things like more creatures,boats,houses,gems,fancy hats and animations.

The changes are:

Remove openings from the game, this ensures any attack against a player will hurt the characters HP and there is no restorations to use anymore during chases so less slowdowns.

Agility changed from lowering attack cool downs to being a evasive skill providing characters with a chance to dodge for example capping at 1000 for maximum 30 or 40% chance to dodge and at say 100 its only 10% 250 its 15% 300 its 20% etc. This can be modified via gear, Gilds, weapon types.

Damage from all weapons reduced significantly, eg bronze sword does 5 damage at q10 modified with strength, gilds.

Hit point regeneration increased Out of combat and wound chance reduced from 100% chance atm when at openings breached (you know deep cuts etc) to maybe 25-50% chance.

weapon damage types introduced:
slashing claymores, longsword,
piercing with rapiers/spear/pikes,
blunt with morning star/bats/Shield,
crushing with mace/chairs/boulders(troll).

These damage types will be modifiers to increase or decrease the damage done to a player.

Defense gilds for the ones above increasing resistances and offensive gilds that can be added to the weapons (potentially name the weapons too).

More gilds allows for a player to customize their characters looks a bit more and pick how they want to fight, if they want to specialize in blunt damage protection then they would then go after blunt weapon users during battles as they will be more effective.

unarmed combat and Melee combat skills removed and replaced with more specialized skills so you cant put all into MC and be able to use anything, you want to use swords then points in swords or axes for example:
Sword Mastery
Axe Mastery
Mace Mastery
Shield Mastery
Pole Mastery
Unarmed Mastery

The Skill types introduced will modify the attacks used with them to help lower cooldown and increase damage done with each weapon for example say someone has 100 Sword mastery and uses a longsword and attacks a player with a slash attack they could do weapon damage* sqrt(skill/100) (Devs would most likely choose a more complex equation). You shouldn't be able to pick up a sword and be able to wield it properly until you have more points in it.(Also curios that have a chance when study completes to give points in a skill, studying a broken sword can potentially give you 1 point in swords plus the LP)

All combat moves currently, get reworked to work better with different weapon types or increase evasion, run speed etc etc.

I'm sure there's more i can add, but this is a rough idea that i had to see if anyone likes a more diablo esqe fighting style.
pheonix

Re: Combat Idea-Removal of openings/UA/MC

Postby abt79 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:32 pm

Nah fuck this, shouldn't leave something as critical in a permadeath game as combat up to chance
abt79

Postby Zentetsuken » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:21 pm

abt79 wrote:Nah fuck this, shouldn't leave something as critical in a permadeath game as combat up to chance

Did you even read it? How is it about chance?

It's still relative to skill level in both your stats and your ability to master the system. He just negated the idea of running and spamming the same best couple moves to do the exact same thing with the exact same opening and the exact same weapons as everybody else. Right now something "as critical as permadeath" can be influenced by something as trivial as how much water you have on you at the time.

Giving the combat system a breadth of actual meaningful customization that changes the strategy based on who you are fighting sounds amazing.
Zentetsuken

Postby Nek » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:45 pm

pheonix wrote:Agility changed from lowering attack cool downs to being a evasive skill providing characters with a chance to dodge for example capping at 1000 for maximum 30 or 40% chance to dodge and at say 100 its only 10% 250 its 15% 300 its 20% etc. This can be modified via gear, Gilds, weapon types.

l e l

Your pokemon tier battle system sounds shit tbqhwy.
jorb wrote:I bow before your infinite wisdom, Nek. The words and thoughts of mere men are like leaves in the wind before a true philosopher such as yourself. Verily, my retardery is apparent to me now.

banok wrote:GG nek, your thread was successful at baiting people on to us
Nek

Postby Audiosmurf » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:24 pm

phoenix wrote:Agility changed from lowering attack cool downs to being a evasive skill providing characters with a chance to dodge for example capping at 1000 for maximum 30 or 40% chance to dodge and at say 100 its only 10% 250 its 15% 300 its 20% etc. This can be modified via gear, Gilds, weapon types.

Zentetsuken wrote:Did you even read it? How is it about chance?

Did you even read it?
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby Leafstab » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:42 pm

I dont see how this system will make 2v1s and so on better?
Leafstab

Postby spawningmink » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:16 pm

or OR OR OR OR OR OR OR they could bring attack and defence back? also drinking while running
ChildhoodObossite wrote:I actually lowkey admire Frosty, sometimes he can be a really cool guy

spawningmink
Under curfew

Postby abt79 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:16 pm

Audiosmurf wrote:
phoenix wrote:Agility changed from lowering attack cool downs to being a evasive skill providing characters with a chance to dodge for example capping at 1000 for maximum 30 or 40% chance to dodge and at say 100 its only 10% 250 its 15% 300 its 20% etc. This can be modified via gear, Gilds, weapon types.

Zentetsuken wrote:Did you even read it? How is it about chance?

Did you even read it?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_GP5_NQ_LEs
Ikr, how hard is it to understand, really?
"No defenses or reductions, simply take the problem of this combat system guaranteeing many small hits rather than a chance of big hits from mistakes, and make it worse by taking combat skill out of the picture and making it a true 'punch til someone dies-the game'"
abt79

Postby azrid » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:11 am

I say no to RNG in combat.
Damage and defense types are cool tho. More depth.
azrid

Postby MrPunchers » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:22 am

spawningmink wrote:or OR OR OR OR OR OR OR they could bring attack and defence back? also drinking while running

Really if they mesh openings and the Attack/Defense bars in some way than I think combat would be really good.
+2 this.
Suck me good and hard thru my jorts
MrPunchers

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas