Hearth Magic Depth

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Hearth Magic Depth

Postby Fierce_Deity » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:15 am

Hearth magic is cool and a good way to give certain things a boost or burn off some experience, but its also pretty one dimensional. I think it could stand to be fleshed out more, but not just with random new spells. I'd like to see ways to decrease the cost of hearth magic through the usage of items, or ways to enhance what they already do.

The Völva's Wand could be given a durability, and be used with some or all of hearth magic to decrease the exp cost, or enhance the magic in other ways. This being the most obvious example.
Besides the wand I would like to see the possibility of sacrificing an item related to the spell in some way that will serve to decrease the exp cost, or enhance the results of the spell.

"Fishers Request for a Catch" could have a lure or a batch of earthworms consumed to buff the duration of the spell.
"Polish the Silver" could consume an available bar or nugget of metal and in return cost less, or have a chance not to decrease the durability. Gains would depend on the type of nugget used.
"Horse Whisper" could work better if it consumes less energy if it consumes carrots or clovers.
Stuff along this line could make magic more interactive then it currently is. I'm not saying any of these should suddenly require an additional item, i'm suggesting there should be options to enhancing magic.

I'd even like to see something added along the lines of blood magic. Some bloodstone orb that we can create. When things are killed with it in the inventory it gains charges, or maybe a %of the experience from the hearthling and a flat amount if its an animal. The stored experience or charges could be used for specific spells, like the nigbane one, or just be used as a substitute a for experience in general. It could hold 500-2000 exp depending on its quality, and be created from a strangecrystal,bloodstone,steel and some gold and silver nuggets.

Hearth Magic is wanting for some more flesh, lets give it some.
Fierce_Deity

Return to Critique & Ideas