PvP : Tactics and fixes.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

PvP : Tactics and fixes.

Postby jock » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:31 pm

In regards to this thread viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44710

I have played many PvP games over the years, using many of the "defensive" options to grief my way into a victory. Not for the purpose of being an asshole but to clearly and utterly demotivate the people i am fighting. If i needed to in this game i would simple spam alts for days forcing people to kill them to leave scents and encourage people to make their stronger characters more vulnerable.

This then allows myself or other people who wish to take advantage of their scents a free collection. with no risk to myself or anyone in the village that i own. I need not even take use of the scents and continue to whittle moral and create opportunities for others to do so. with the creation of free alts this is an infinite and easy process, eventually leading to poor game play and player leaving the game. In pvp it's also a victory, as sun tzu states defeat the enemy wthout fighting.

I now have freedom to loot, claim and plunder all their work with little resistance, if someone beats me to it. The process begins again.

This is ofc a very simplistic version of the events and what i would do to encourage them killing me.

How do you fix/fight against this?

1. You take the risk of leaving scents: for a free alt army that's a lot of risk, even if you have built a well-defended hearth vault.

2. You ignore it, watching every tree around you chopped and burned. Every time you go hunting the risk of loosing your boat, horse or corpse of the animal you kill being stolen.

or

3. A change to the mechanics of PVP. Now i have only just returned to haven and hearth so this may be once again simplistic and only an observant of the previous pvp.

This changes would allow all players to have the ability to attack and kill. -- Noob army will be no real issue against the prepared and stronger foes, but does allow the straight up creation of low level and skill pvp from alts/new characters and anti-griefing by using a new character.

Killing/attacking on your own claim or village should leave no scent.-- Defensive fighting should not leave you at a loss, the risk should always be on the attacker. This once again allows players to risk their characters defending their towns during being online times but not allow a second attack when you need to sleep to completely remove any attempt to restore after as they can kill your characters.

Killing in your realm or a realm you are part of prevents the collection of scents, to encourage the challenging of positions. potentially leading to realm v realm wars. -- Creating scents in the wild and hunting people is fun but with the game adding realms it allows a more structured military warfare system. i know towns have always group together and defended each other, this mechanic would add importance to that and the defence of the realm. It will also encourage people to keep realms in check by either preventing them growing to large or by people trying to expand them to protect their lands better and people.

All of this comes from many games i have pvped in, using harsh and questionable tactics to win. Always suggesting to dev that a change is needed to prevent the systems i use. I do this to have fun and enjoy pvp and thus victory. It is also from someone who has studied games for over 6 years in education and now completing a degree at the best university in Europe for games.

This just some thoughts and an overview of what i could consider a cleaner system, i may be wrong and would love to hear others thoughts.
jock

Re: PvP : Tactics and fixes.

Postby Killface » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:11 pm

jock wrote: Now i have only just returned to haven and hearth so this may be once again simplistic and only an observant of the previous pvp.

So basically like 90% of the other posts, you should just play the fucking game for a little bit before you open your mouth about stuff you don't know anything about and KNOW you don't know anything about
Jackard wrote:kvc has eleven secret herbs and spices
Killface

Postby jock » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:21 pm

Killface wrote:
jock wrote: Now i have only just returned to haven and hearth so this may be once again simplistic and only an observant of the previous pvp.

So basically like 90% of the other posts, you should just play the fucking game for a little bit before you open your mouth about stuff you don't know anything about and KNOW you don't know anything about

Grow up.
jock

Postby Patchouli_Knowledge » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:22 pm

That is not going to help the situation; scents is an irrelevant factor in determining whether they attack and whether they are successful, plus leaving no scent on your own village on your home isn't going to matter much for the attacker.

In addition, this in itself can be exploited by claiming over other peoples territory and being able to kill people without leaving scents.
-=The law of inverse desire=- The chances of dropping what you want is the reciprocal of how much you want it.
Patchouli_Knowledge

Postby jock » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:27 pm

Patchouli_Knowledge wrote:That is not going to help the situation; scents is an irrelevant factor in determining whether they attack and whether they are successful, plus leaving no scent on your own village on your home isn't going to matter much for the attacker.

In addition, this in itself can be exploited by claiming over other peoples territory and being able to kill people without leaving scents.

cool, thanks for you response.

So are scents not as good and useful as they used to be?

plus is territorial warfare not as big a thing, or is this due to the creation of lawspeakers as offline alts still a major issue?
jock

Postby Patchouli_Knowledge » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:36 pm

Scents in general is a neutral feature rather than a tool for justice, or you can say justice is blind. Even taken into account that you are utilizing it for a good cause, it is mostly for tracking down perpetrators and nidbane, the former only useful for tracking those outside the wall and the latter is lackluster.

From what I can tell from my limited perspective, territory war seems to be one-sided and favoring towards the aggressor large state but this is mostly from a observer point of view and I do not want to talk about speculation as if it is fact since I dislike giving false information. Someone that is more familiar with the political climate may be able to give you further insight.
-=The law of inverse desire=- The chances of dropping what you want is the reciprocal of how much you want it.
Patchouli_Knowledge

Postby DDDsDD999 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:51 pm

Basically the strat to deal with scout alts is to use a murder alt.
DDDsDD999

Return to Critique & Ideas