Mine carts

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Mine carts

Postby ricky » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:24 am

Give us some basic rail infrastructure so we can move our dozens of ore, stone, and coal stockpiles around without giant hassles.

Rails can travel through z levels and can be coal powered or hand pushed (inb4 minecart alts)
Have a question? Need help? Tired of people asking questions? Haven and Hearth Wiki.
jorb wrote:Ideally the game should play itself.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
ricky

Re: Mine carts

Postby Fostik » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:39 am

Yes, please.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby blank » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:56 pm

+1 great idea could work some what like crossroads
blank

Postby JadynFaye » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:30 pm

I love this idea. Trying to wheel everything up with a wheelbarrow is still better than nothing, but far from ideal.
JadynFaye

Postby Fierce_Deity » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:51 am

+1. Almost posted this idea a few months ago but refrained from it. Should require hard metal and wood to make, and preferably work like crossroads with the exception that the player does not get to use them to travel to the end of. We just initiate the travel for the cart and sent it to the end. I also think that to go between levels they should require a new type of minehole, but that might be going to far.
Fierce_Deity

Postby Kaios » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:09 am

Fast travel teleportation for an object/stockpile thing sounds a bit weird and continuous z-level travel might not even possible, I like the idea of mine carts a lot though.

Instead of instant travel but as an alternative to boring manual pushing that would end up being done by an alt anyways, carts could be given a single push to start moving along the track and the speed the cart moves at would be determined by strength of the pusher. The cart would still move to the end of the track regardless but at different speeds depending on your strength and how much the cart has been loaded. It'd be cool to have multiple carts moving along a track transporting your ore while you're in the process of mining more, send the carts back and load up again.

At least that sounds a little more interactive to me. It doesn't even have to be ore you're transporting, it could open up possibilities to create rail tracks between villages for transporting other stuff beyond ore and create interesting opportunities to intercept someone else's carts that instant travel doesn't allow for.
Kaios

Postby Fierce_Deity » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:19 am

Kaios wrote:Fast travel teleportation for an object/stockpile thing sounds a bit weird and continuous z-level travel might not even possible, I like the idea of mine carts a lot though.

Instead of instant travel but as an alternative to boring manual pushing that would end up being done by an alt anyways, carts could be given a single push to start moving along the track and the speed the cart moves at would be determined by strength of the pusher. The cart would still move to the end of the track regardless but at different speeds depending on your strength and how much the cart has been loaded. It'd be cool to have multiple carts moving along a track transporting your ore while you're in the process of mining more, send the carts back and load up again.

At least that sounds a little more interactive to me. It doesn't even have to be ore you're transporting, it could open up possibilities to create rail tracks between villages for transporting other stuff beyond ore and create interesting opportunities to intercept someone else's carts that instant travel doesn't allow for.

This sounds good too. +2 to minecarts of any form
Fierce_Deity

Postby ricky » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:46 am

Kaios wrote:Fast travel teleportation for an object/stockpile thing sounds a bit weird and continuous z-level travel might not even possible, I like the idea of mine carts a lot though.

Yeah, you've got the idea. The intention i had when i made my halfassed post at 3am was to have a form of resource transportation that requires low user input and isnt necesarily instantaneous; IE road systems and hearthing with a wheelbarrow over your head.
Have a question? Need help? Tired of people asking questions? Haven and Hearth Wiki.
jorb wrote:Ideally the game should play itself.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
ricky

Postby thomas_ewing » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:12 pm

I just needed to bump this an hope Jorbtar implement something like it. Moving large amounts of ore sucks, and they can implement something to make it easier.
thomas_ewing

Postby ven » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:04 pm

How about mine carts as a unique recipe for kingdoms that have 5/5 Mountain Tradition? That would be interesting.
Venator
ven

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas