Yet another combat system ideea

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Yet another combat system ideea

Postby dageir » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:41 pm

NOOBY93 wrote:Obviously equipment crafting would be complicated and made harder, it wouldn't be just shitting out another dhelm.

That would be true. However you could kill your neighbour with a piece of wood right of the bat (pun not intended).
Wooden equipment would have a hard time damaging people in armour. Blunt weapons made of metal or stone could damage an armoured character.
Ranged combat would depend on the player actually aiming with no stats affecting the chance of hitting. Rocks and pine cones could be thrown.
Several characters with wooden/rock weapons could take down an armoured one.
dageir

Postby NOOBY93 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:25 pm

dageir wrote:
NOOBY93 wrote:Obviously equipment crafting would be complicated and made harder, it wouldn't be just shitting out another dhelm.

That would be true. However you could kill your neighbour with a piece of wood right of the bat (pun not intended).
Wooden equipment would have a hard time damaging people in armour. Blunt weapons made of metal or stone could damage an armoured character.
Ranged combat would depend on the player actually aiming with no stats affecting the chance of hitting. Rocks and pine cones could be thrown.
Several characters with wooden/rock weapons could take down an armoured one.

"Wooden equipment would have a hard time damaging people in armour. Blunt weapons made of metal or stone could damage an armoured character."
eh whatever

"Ranged combat would depend on the player actually aiming with no stats affecting the chance of hitting."
bottable, bad idea

"Several characters with wooden/rock weapons could take down an armoured one."
depends on the balance of it all but probably a bad idea as armor is hard to acquire and wood and rocks are easy - alt wars would commence
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby dageir » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:28 pm

Everything is bottable in this game apparently.
dageir

Postby ydex » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:46 pm

Ricu wrote:I don't think you can make most of the people happy with this fighting combat system.
I would just suggest changing it to the traditional barbaric clobbering where the difference is the armor VS weapon,
gildable weapons for blue or red, green and yellow attacks VS gildable armor with increase resistance to blue, or red, or green or yellow. with chance for one or multiple resistances, same as the gilding system now for stats.

Quit the IP points since a battle lasting over 15 minutes is overkill or make them passive in a combat system where you have some finishers that cost IP and you get them while doing damage and fighting not just jumping around.

Opinions ?

so if i get this correctly armor could be balanced if say using one gild of each colour. and specialized for 2 colours or even more specialized into even one colour? and the same would apply to weapons?

This is quite fun. and then add removal of moves?
Very interesting. Would certainly require rework of quality system, siege and almost everythng else in game tho...
So very interesting but highly unlikely to ever be seen Im afraid
bold
ydex

Postby NOOBY93 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:26 pm

dageir wrote:Everything is bottable in this game apparently.

it is, but the difference between botting farming and botting aiming is that players can farm just as well as bots, but bots aim perfectly so botters have an obvious insane advantage here
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby Fierce_Deity » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:31 am

Honestly don't hate the tossing combat stats out the window idea and have equipment matter more. Very interesting idea. We could even toy with the idea of reducing loss of stats on death, maybe completely and coming up with another form of punishment for character death. Would encourage alt spam with gear if crafter stats could still be lost, although maybe the gear loss is penalty enough.
Fierce_Deity

Postby Thedrah » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:44 am

we already have a method of reduced loss of stats at a cost of the numen system and some other stuff. it's even encouraged to die, like a prestige system for high stat ancestors

the combat system needs to be more 'arcane' but also more simple, to allow for an easily learned but hard to master system. sort of like fighting irl
maybe have more moves that cause different openings to allow for a combo move style of combat

right now the only kind of combo systems are using moves that affect different openings and moves that use ip
  ▲
▲ ▲
Thedrah

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas