Allow dice on tables

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Allow dice on tables

Postby DaniAngione » Mon May 08, 2017 4:26 am

Jorb, please help.
This is a matter of extreme priority :P

So, we were hanging out in Aurora's newly opened "Drunken Pirate Tavern" after a hard day's work...

Until we remembered that the Die curio is actually 'rollable' (even has a neat sound :3 ) so we decided to play some dice!

Unfortunately, of course, we discovered that dice can't be placed on tables because, well, they're not food :P...
But perhaps giving this exception to them would make moments like this much more interesting? :D

PS:
We started betting coins afterwards (bets on table!) so it would be cool if that same exception could be applied to coins, I guess?

Or at least add a "game" table. We could use the grid inventory system for other games like checkers or chess (like using a cupboard)... And, of course, we could have cards one day! ;)

Thank you very much :D
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

Re: Allow dice on tables

Postby hkrile » Mon May 08, 2017 4:32 am

+1

this needs to be a thing! It would indeed make these little break moments much more fun and interesting :D
W 7-9 Simple and humble hermit
W 10 Member of the Red Abyss and servant of The Northern Kingdom
hkrile

Postby Grog » Mon May 08, 2017 5:04 am

We have creamy creamy cocks, various alkohol, hemp and pipestuff.

Why on (h)earth isn't this a thing yet?!
Favourite thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3388
Grog

Postby hkrile » Mon May 08, 2017 5:15 am

Grog wrote:We have creamy creamy cocks, various alkohol, hemp and pipestuff.

Why on (h)earth isn't this a thing yet?!
Attachments
65124194.jpg
65124194.jpg (26.84 KiB) Viewed 797 times
W 7-9 Simple and humble hermit
W 10 Member of the Red Abyss and servant of The Northern Kingdom
hkrile

Postby maze » Mon May 08, 2017 6:04 am

After sitting here..doing network programming for the night...
When I look at things like this I now cry.

I now understand pains of dice coding...
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Postby loftar » Tue May 09, 2017 7:14 pm

The though of always having all items in containers visible has of course struck me since very long ago, but I think you can figure out the technical requirements on network traffic and client rendering when visiting a large storage room without my help. :)
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby jorb » Tue May 09, 2017 7:49 pm

That being said, one could certainly imagine exceptions for particular purposes. I like the idea here, but I'm not sure how to go about implementing it. Tables have thus far been a food exclusive object, and while changing that could be more than reasonable, I guess the question is how they should work instead, and how the existing feasting mechanic should relate to that.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby ven » Tue May 09, 2017 8:24 pm

Instead of thinking about food tables specifically, would you consider letting us build a large game table (to accommodate several people watching it) as suggested, with, maybe, 12x12 slots, and only allow specific items like dice, nuggets, parchments and symbel in it? As well as tin soldiers, cone cows and similar toys of course.
Venator
ven

Postby DaniAngione » Tue May 09, 2017 8:51 pm

loftar wrote:The though of always having all items in containers visible has of course struck me since very long ago, but I think you can figure out the technical requirements on network traffic and client rendering when visiting a large storage room without my help. :)

jorb wrote:That being said, one could certainly imagine exceptions for particular purposes. I like the idea here, but I'm not sure how to go about implementing it. Tables have thus far been a food exclusive object, and while changing that could be more than reasonable, I guess the question is how they should work instead, and how the existing feasting mechanic should relate to that.

Thanks for the response, guys!

Well, to be honest I didn't mean for the objects to appear (visually) as loftar mentions. Yes, it would be great, but it's not exactly what I suggest here :3 I'm sorry if I couldn't explain myself better.
But yes, something more along the lines of what Jorb says, allowing to store these on tables so tables can be used for gaming. It is true, however, that this could (or perhaps even should) relate to the feasting mechanic.

This is mostly a cosmetic request, so we can play dice on a table instead of around a crate :)
I'm however glad it is at least interesting and will eagerly look forward to small, cool social changes :3

EDIT:
Since you two are here, I'll also go ahead and *shamelessly* promote these threads:

Swimming Animal Animations
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=57317

Houses as Light Sources & Windows
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=57311

Custom Shield Designs displayed on Barter Stands (not mine but interests me too :3 )
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=57281

And finally, Locks on Doors (Also not mine but it interests me greatly as well (and the whole Northern Kingdom :P ) as we are experimenting a new format/type of public market in which this would be very useful!)
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=50938

END of the shameless promotional moment
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

Postby DeadlyPencil » Wed May 10, 2017 3:44 pm

Jorb/Loftar why not simply make dice a symbel item with no hunger benefit. that way u can see the dice on the table. same with money. you have other items that are both food and symbol at the same time.

also doesn't dice cap itself or was that removed? like if u roll a 5, I thought u can no longer roll higher than 5. if that is still the case, can you remove that aspect of the item? its such a bad curio that I don't think it needs to have that anymore.
DeadlyPencil

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas