Salvaging

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Salvaging

Postby 2d0x » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:10 pm

This can be useful in the early stages of the game. Currently, the gilding is removed from the objects with a good chance. And by the time when things become unnecessary, the material for their manufacture will not be much needed either. In addition, it will be of poor quality.
But in any case I support this idea.
Excuse me, I don't speak English.
2d0x

Postby ekzarh » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:45 pm

2d0x wrote:This can be useful in the early stages of the game. Currently, the gilding is removed from the objects with a good chance. And by the time when things become unnecessary, the material for their manufacture will not be much needed either. In addition, it will be of poor quality.
But in any case I support this idea.

The other use is purely psychological. If you steal something from someone and throw it away you feel kinda... sad. And when you get nidbanes you feel kinda...tricked into getting hurt for nothing.
But even if you have like 100 steel, steal a sword, dissolve it into 1 steel and now have 101 steel - you feel a little bit of pleasure and being rewarded for upcoming pain in the neck
ekzarh

Postby 2d0x » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:06 pm

ekzarh wrote:The other use is purely psychological. If you steal something from someone and throw it away you feel kinda... sad. And when you get nidbanes you feel kinda...tricked into getting hurt for nothing.
But even if you have like 100 steel, steal a sword, dissolve it into 1 steel and now have 101 steel - you feel a little bit of pleasure and being rewarded for upcoming pain in the neck

Why steal unnecessary? Having 100 steel I will be glad, having received 101 (it is unimportant, quantity or quality)?! You embarrassed me...

To disassemble into pieces gold and pearl things of poor quality - this is understandable to me. Cast iron can be refined. But a backpack or something like that?! When it is not needed, the leather (or other rubbish) is also not needed. It probably makes a lot of sense if your game is based on theft, not on grind.
Last edited by 2d0x on Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2d0x

Postby whitepoint7 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:41 pm

2d0x wrote:To disassemble into pieces gold and pearl things of poor quality - this is understandable to me. But a backpack or something like that?! When it is not needed, the skin (or other rubbish) is also not needed.

One simple reason leather , skin , bronze ,etc they are crafting materials not end product and you can stockpile ,use or trade them more easily but backpack is just good old backpack one use , if have enough of them you dont need to create more right ?

Great idea by the way +1 .
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - Confucius
whitepoint7

Postby 2d0x » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:53 pm

I already wrote that the idea is good and I support it, but I do not see much practical application.
whitepoint7 wrote:One simple reason leather , skin , bronze ,etc they are crafting materials not end product and you can stockpile...

Yes, it's understandable. But in fact, we are turning one garbage into another.
whitepoint7 wrote:...use or trade them more...

I will dismantle the old backpack and get low quality leather. But by this point I will have enough leather, of higher quality.
whitepoint7 wrote:...but backpack is just good old backpack one use , if have enough of them you dont need to create more right ?

Right. Therefore, I do not create unnecessary. Do you create more backpacks than you need?

Oh, probably do not need to explain to me - it's even worse. It is clear that I will get the bronze from the old sword and I can use it again for something else. But I'm unlikely to have 100 unnecessary swords, and from one or two I do not have enough self-interest. Easier to dig a new metal. Or get a new skin...

I will repeat again: the essence of recyclable to me is clear. And I approve of the idea. In the early stages, this is likely to be useful for many.
2d0x

Postby whitepoint7 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:20 pm

2d0x wrote:Right. Therefore, I do not create unnecessary. Do you create more backpacks than you need?

Oh, probably do not need to explain to me - it's even worse. It is clear that I will get the bronze from the old sword and I can use it again for something else. But I'm unlikely to have 100 unnecessary swords, and from one or two I do not have enough self-interest. Easier to dig a new metal. Or get a new skin...

I will repeat again: the essence of recyclable to me is clear. And I approve of the idea. In the early stages, this is likely to be useful for many.

You can get useless backpacks or swords when looting my friend . I think you are missing whole point :) , read the first post . You are maybe a hermit or peaceful player like me but OP want turn his loot to something usefull .
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - Confucius
whitepoint7

Postby 2d0x » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:14 pm

whitepoint7 wrote:You can get useless backpacks or swords when looting my friend...

Does he have a lot of backpacks? And why should I rob someone, if after every hunt I have a lot of good skins, which I have nowhere to use (but do not ask me to arrange a large-scale production of backpacks).
whitepoint7 wrote:...read the first post...

I read, but I don't understand everything (Google Translator is not so good; in addition, I project a lot on my gameplay)...
whitepoint7 wrote:... You are maybe a hermit or peaceful player like me but OP want turn his loot to something usefull ...

Yep, thank you, now (with raids) this becomes more meaningful; just not in my case.
2d0x

Postby jordancoles » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:25 am

Here is an example image taken from 3 random cupboards in my basement

Sure, shit quality stuff but if I wanted a few pieces of random q leather for a palisade cornerpost those backpacks would work out nicely.

Same with the steel sword and the bronze armor. I could at least turn those into mine supports or nuggets for curios.
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby MrPunchers » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:03 am

+1
Break down stuff into plates/chunks/sheets of metal when obtain, the pieces could be used for other stuff (more later) or smelting back into bars/nuggets of the metal type of said thing. If/when early game is slowed down, fighting npc (insert generic raider thing here) that wear "orc/goblin/monster" armor that humans cannot wear and can be broken down into pieces. These cannot be smelted, but can be repurposed into new armor/tools (tools would also have durability if this is case). Made from rope, leather(?), various scrap pieces, and maybe bone/other stuff it would be above bronze in protection but reduce agility much more, since it's weight would be higher and more importantly be much more restrictive in movement.
Suck me good and hard thru my jorts
MrPunchers

Postby jorb » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:24 am

That has been suggested plenty of times for buildings. There are two problems.

• Setting and maintaining payouts in terms of what items are salvaged from a particular item. Could perhaps re-use cost-to-craft values, but that won't always produce meaningful or desired results.
  • Deciding qualities on the recovered items. We currently do not save -- nor do we wish to -- the exact list of all items used to produce an item, but rather only the final product and its qualities. Using the final quality as the output quality for salvage would, however, lead to a situation where you can grind the qualities of certain inputs upwards by crafting and salvaging, which is undesirable. Setting everything recovered to Q10 is perhaps an option.

Not saying it can't be done, but it'd be work, at least.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas