Abandon button for tutorial quest

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Abandon button for tutorial quest

Postby Audiosmurf » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:07 pm

Would be marginally useful to be able to clear it out of the quest log on new alts without having to bother completing it. Or add some minor reward (small exp or LP bonus) for completing the tutorial quests.
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Re: Abandon button for tutorial quest

Postby sMartins » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:30 pm

To not have the tutorial quest on the screen just click elsewhere on the quest window. Better, to not have any quest on the screen.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby Audiosmurf » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:32 pm

sMartins wrote:To not have the tutorial quest on the screen just click elsewhere on the quest window. Better, to not have any quest on the screen.

I'm aware of how the game works. I'm just suggesting to have it be removable from the quest log itself, or be given a meaningful incentive to be completed.
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby tyrtix » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:58 pm

To know how the game works is enough a good incentive, besides the exp points you get from it.
tyrtix

Postby Audiosmurf » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:15 pm

tyrtix wrote:To know how the game works is enough a good incentive, besides the exp points you get from it.

I feel like we're on different wavelengths. My point is that the quest is meaningless for anyone who isn't playing the game for the very first time, all it does it clog up your quest log and the only way to get rid of it is to complete it, which provides you with nothing other than a clean quest log.

There's no realistic negative to being able to abandon it.

NORMALIZE IT
Audiosmurf

Postby Headchef » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:13 pm

Yeah +1 it annoys me as well.
Headchef

Postby loftar » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:42 pm

Audiosmurf wrote:[...]which provides you with nothing other than a clean quest log.

It almost sounds like that would be enough incentive for you to complete it, no? ^^

Audiosmurf wrote:There's no realistic negative to being able to abandon it.

Except that inevitable noob who inadvertantly clicks the abandon button on the tutorial quest and then doesn't know left from right anymore and ragequits because the game let him do that.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Audiosmurf » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:55 pm

loftar wrote:
Audiosmurf wrote:There's no realistic negative to being able to abandon it.

Except that inevitable noob who inadvertantly clicks the abandon button on the tutorial quest and then doesn't know left from right anymore and ragequits because the game let him do that.

That feels like a major corner case, especially given how little the tutorial actually teaches you about the game. If it's possible to abandon any other quest ever received, why not that one?

Additionally, you'll have to excuse me but I had to have a laugh at you bringing up the fact that it might make a scrub ragequit, in the context of a game that almost constantly throws things at new players that will make them ragequit. ¦]

edit:formatting

NORMALIZE IT
Audiosmurf

Postby loftar » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:03 pm

Audiosmurf wrote:That feels like a major corner case

To be fair, "I want to remove any extraneous quest from my quest log" also sounds like a major corner case, especially when you can in fact do it by simply completing the quest. ;)

Audiosmurf wrote:If it's possible to abandon any other quest ever received, why not that one?

Because unlike any other quest, it is not possible to acquire it.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Audiosmurf » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:11 pm

loftar wrote:
Audiosmurf wrote:That feels like a major corner case

To be fair, "I want to remove any extraneous quest from my quest log" also sounds like a major corner case, especially when you can in fact do it by simply completing the quest. ;)

Audiosmurf wrote:If it's possible to abandon any other quest ever received, why not that one?

Because unlike any other quest, it is not possible to acquire it.

I still don't really see the issue, as the majority of the playerbase is just directed to the wiki soon after starting, but it really doesn't matter. Was just a small QoL suggestion. :V

Consider my other suggestion. Even setting aside my own bias, a token reward (500LP, or something similar) for completing the tutorial quests (to establish the idea that completing quests provides tangible rewards,) might be cool. It would encourage the hypothetical clueless player you're talking about to pursue them further, once available, and explore/learn.

NORMALIZE IT
Audiosmurf

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas