Sane mine support removal

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Sane mine support removal

Postby Mario_Demorez » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:41 pm

Amanda44 wrote:I'm in support of being able to remove them safely if covered by other supports, I have a stunted towercap that I now have to live with for fear of causing a cave in if I try and remove it even though it has supports around it ... I find that extremely annoying tbh.

Just make an alt
Mario_Demorez

Postby Amanda44 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:43 pm

jtpitner wrote:Forget realism just let me remove the things with no collapses .

I don't see it as much 'realism' if it is surrounded by other supports tbh ...

Mario_Demorez wrote:
Amanda44 wrote:I'm in support of being able to remove them safely if covered by other supports, I have a stunted towercap that I now have to live with for fear of causing a cave in if I try and remove it even though it has supports around it ... I find that extremely annoying tbh.

Just make an alt

The towercap is next to buildings and a pali ... I wasn't concerned for the char, more the surroundings. :)
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby Mario_Demorez » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:45 pm

Amanda44 wrote:
jtpitner wrote:Forget realism just let me remove the things with no collapses .

I don't see it as much 'realism' if it is surrounded by other supports tbh ...

Mario_Demorez wrote:

Just make an alt

The towercap is next to buildings and a pali ... I wasn't concerned for the char, more the surroundings. :)

Connections to objects make your soul dark.
Mario_Demorez

Postby Amanda44 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:35 am

My lovely village covered in rubble will make my soul dark ... :P :lol:
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby jorb » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:12 pm

Will look at it.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Granger » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:11 pm

jorb wrote:Will look at it.

Finally. Thank you.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby captainmorgan » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:18 pm

From the wiki

Caution: whenever a mine support is removed (destroying by hand or running out of hp), all tiles under it are checked for unstable mine tiles. If there are unstable tiles within range which become unsupported after the removal of the mine support, the removal will cause a cave in. This also means that you can tear down mine supports without cave ins, if you still have proper support around it

This is incorrect. In the image below the red cross marks the point where a support once stood, as you can see some of the tiles that caved in are within the radius of another support, so why did they cave in?

captainmorgan

Postby loleznub » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:00 pm

The area highlighted was unclaimed.

Let's say you whacked a tile in that area and it caused a cave-in.

Even though the area to the left has support, it doesn't necessarily make those areas safe. Think of it as a snowball effect. While that area is holding fine, maybe it's not able to hold up after tons of pounds of rocks start to move?

I agree, though, with the overall thread. If the area of one support is completely supported by other ones, then there shouldn't be cave-ins once you remove one. It's pretty stupid tbh.
loleznub

Postby MrPunchers » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:03 am

We should be able to wax, rope, and glue the ceiling of a tile together so it never caves in.
Suck me good and hard thru my jorts
MrPunchers

Postby MooCow » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:02 am

I can make no guarantee that this is what happened, but I suspect that a cave-in happened close to the edge. The cave-in event is the only thing that is blocked. When a cave in happens it can drop stuff in protected areas

Logically you can think of it like lolznub described
MooCow

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas