Gypsy wagon

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Gypsy wagon

Postby Attas » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:20 pm

+1 to everything in this thread! Please improve nomadic lifestyle!
Attas

Postby Headchef » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:24 pm

Granger wrote: (unless someone feels like building 32 of them)

I already do and it's not even implemented yet. Can't wait to build even more than 32 and make a clusterfuck of wagons blocking eachother with overpowered rights to them because people want to be nomads. 8-)
Headchef

Postby maze » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:51 pm

Headchef wrote:
Granger wrote: (unless someone feels like building 32 of them)

I already do and it's not even implemented yet. Can't wait to build even more than 32 and make a clusterfuck of wagons blocking eachother with overpowered rights to them because people want to be nomads. 8-)

Well that's the point of deep thinking an idea like this.

if it had -such and such- what could happen.
And what interactions would it have with the current world.

basically why I want the "shoo"-able part. it's one of the main things to stop these from being hardcore exploited.

So the wagon would only be hard to destroy if the wagon had a horse/cow attached to it.
if it did not, I would say it could be destroyed.

@Granger
Wouldn't trespass always-on not be enough when it can't be camped on claimed land (and it would only project the claim when it's set to camp)?

So if the wagon had a claim on it. it would give the area around it protection.
so say if i rolled up to a random village and setup a wall. they would not be able to stop me unless they leave scents.
Also with claim, the "shoo"-able ability can't be used. if it was, your claim would end up moving around and noting on the claim would be safe anyhow.

The claim to village interaction. there should be a check for such a thing what would make the wagon run off if it was suddenly claimed.
Only to prevent the wagon from suddenly being walled in and rip wagon (there always someone willing to put the bloody efferot in)
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Postby Granger » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:14 am

maze wrote:
Wouldn't trespass always-on not be enough when it can't be camped on claimed land (and it would only project the claim when it's set to camp)?

So if the wagon had a claim on it. it would give the area around it protection.
so say if i rolled up to a random village and setup a wall. they would not be able to stop me unless they leave scents.
Also with claim, the "shoo"-able ability can't be used. if it was, your claim would end up moving around and noting on the claim would be safe anyhow.

The claim to village interaction. there should be a check for such a thing what would make the wagon run off if it was suddenly claimed.
Only to prevent the wagon from suddenly being walled in and rip wagon (there always someone willing to put the bloody efferot in)

The 'village claims it over' scenario isn't that big of a problem as village expansion through banners is timegated, so you could simply camp outside their current expansion range. Then you can break any walls that could have been erected (as noone could claim them fully as of the normal claim rules).

I think 'shoo' has the downside that you couldn't setup shop (decoration wise) as everyone could come by, 'shoo' your wagon and loot what stays in place.

Also: In which direction should the wagon run off? Will it be blocked by objects? Will it pathfind? Can this mechanic be weaponized into a version of sheep soccer? I think this is a can of worms in (terms of complexity of the mechanic) that should better be avoided.

I see the point that it should work in a way that it isn't useable as a convenient siege camp protector. No idea for a clean solution that allows setting up a little decorative camp though. Auto-allowing permissions would disable exploits like stick stockpile fences and the like but make it unuseable for 'intended' use as everyone would able to loot it dry.

One possibly way could be the wagon claim excluding siege engines and walls (so you couldn't even use it as a bubble build protector) by both 'camp' being impossible when these structures would be covered (possibly even giving the wall check 1-2 more tiles range) by the claim and the inability to build/move them onto it. This at least could be within reasonable limits, mechanic wise (from the perspective on code needed to implement the mechanic).

Would that allow for somewhat secure larping without ways to weaponize it, or did I overlook something (and if so: what) ?
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Reyajh » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:50 am

+1 to this whole concept..., and the gypsy scarf hat! :P
Just my .O2... Taste, drink.., like/hate...
Jorb: "Oh, don't you worry. We're gonna take care of the pepper situation!" ¦]
Reyajh

Postby maze » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:53 am

@Granger
The Claim interactions main were to help "dumb events" where the wagon would happen to be to near a village and they claim it then wall it.
it what case you would need to leave scents to destroy the walls or items they put around the cart.

by "setup shop". I would agree the shoo would ruin the ability to make a safe camp.
But the idea of using shoo is also to prevent people from using the cart in ill-mean ways.

the wagon would act like a horse running away from an attacker. and away from claims.
Pathfind of course.
sheep soccer :lol: depends on how random it is made. and if shoo can only be used every 30 min's. then likely not.
Would be the same system current farm animals use.

decorative camp solution is not really what I would want.
I rather just a cart that would be able to travel around without having to worry about people stealing out of it.
and I would not have to return to a home at night with cart.

The perms I was talking about would protect interaction with the cart, but everything else is white/everyone.
But if there was another category for walls, Military (rams, cutplut,...ect) and items that can't be destroyed by hand (houses, lockboxs,...ect).
then it would not be such a problem.
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Postby viznew » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:18 pm

when freeform building hits lol
ddc04364e24790192c3077fe8c3b7124.jpg
ddc04364e24790192c3077fe8c3b7124.jpg (63.5 KiB) Viewed 1619 times

naw jk great idea thou, love it
ImageImage
viznew

Postby texno6 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:49 pm

Howl's Moving Castle

texno6

Postby Potjeh » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:27 pm

maze wrote:I had ask for road systems and teleporting to be removed in another post to bring back the need of traveling merchants xD
But I don't think anyone likes that idea.

Hell yes. Restrict fast travel and give us real regional resources (ie different parts of the world have different foragables, crop and tree affinities, ores etc.), and traveling merchant will be a needed profession.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby viznew » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:35 pm

Potjeh wrote:
maze wrote:I had ask for road systems and teleporting to be removed in another post to bring back the need of traveling merchants xD
But I don't think anyone likes that idea.

Hell yes. Restrict fast travel and give us real regional resources (ie different parts of the world have different foragables, crop and tree affinities, ores etc.), and traveling merchant will be a needed profession.

keep charter stones, redo roads yes 100% its not mega popular idea but would give knarrs and wagons more accual use, and i wanna see natural cross roads form with people running past (not like now with stop for 2 secs then jump away)

i also wanna see roads take auth from kingdomes and villages to remain protected
i dont wanna get too side tracked here but i think roads chould be better
ImageImage
viznew

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas