Boss Trolls and Raids

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Boss Trolls and Raids

Postby Onep » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:24 pm

So, my mates and I were discussing Haven and the elusive 'end game'. One thing that came to mind would be raids bosses. Similar to other MMOs. One of the problems about Haven combat is that it tends to hit that point where you can either dunk something or it 3 hits you; although, it also makes for a really intense fight if you're constantly teetering on that life or death. Here's a video (heads-up on the volume) of an early world fight against a troll. Now though, Trollex can solo a level 5 one, albeit with a bunch of damage.
Now for my idea, what if there were raid boss level trolls that occurred, I dunno, weekly or bi-monthly. These trolls could be huge, maybe wander the land, maybe require a huge sacrifice of meat to lure them. But the idea is that they would take a large group to fight. Now, instead of just having it's stats cranked so high it dumpsters everyone in one hit (w8 apocalypse troll) make it so it has to be tanked by multiple people.
I have several ideas for accomplishing this:

1. Add a new ability called shield bash - It does high threat to a creature increasing the likelihood of it attacking you. Similar to a taunt in many MMOs. This would help the fighters rotate out who is taking damage. It also encourages the players with higher stats to be the ones tanking the troll, instead of dps racing it with a b12.
    2. The boss should have a semi-capped attack speed vs. opponents. This is to stop it from instantly dumpstering someone sub-1000 stats, but also make it so that the higher stats still matter.
    3. Similar to semi-capped speed, openings should be along the same line. It shouldn't be able to completely open a reasonable fighter in 1 strike, but it should definitely be able to force them to have to rotate who is taking the damage to have a chance to lower openings (note: the amount of chip damage it deals through minimal openings would act as a soft-cap timer for how long the fight can last). Also, should probably have a cap of how high his openings can get, either that or an effect that drains them faster passively.
    4. Adding in occasional AoE affects, such as storm of swords or full-circle-esque attacks would also force the other fighters to manage their defenses and could be used to prevent zerging bosses with new spawns to chip openings.
    5. Also, with the removal of perma-death, it would give fighters a reason to risk fighting these beasts without having to worry about 1 blunder costing them their character. The crippling wounds they'll receive will be enough to keep them down and out for some time if they fail.

Now, this is only a sample idea, there are many other ways you could take this. Feature this: knarrs full of warriors fighting a sea monster, summoning an eldritch tentacle abomination at the Ring of Brodgar, fighting King Slime in the deepest tunnels of the earth.

Here's an old related thread, didn't figure it was worth the necro for my topic.
Boss Animals & etc

New credo: Monster Slayer
Last edited by Onep on Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We still, alas, cannot forestall it-
This dreadful ailment's heavy toll;
The spleen is what the English call it,
We call it simply, Russian soul.”

An idea to consider: Tedium, a Feature.
Do you like Onep? Do you think he'd look good in green? www.Onep4mod.com
Jorb hates me. :\
Onep

Re: Boss Trolls and Raids

Postby Potjeh » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:25 pm

Taunt would be great for mammoths as well.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Onep » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:27 pm

Potjeh wrote:Taunt would be great for mammoths as well.

Yeah, I would kill for something like it early world for fighting bears and such before you out stat them. It would also help early hunting instead of cliff cheesing.

Onep

Postby Finigini » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:51 pm

A taunt that scales somehow with charisma would be sick. A set of utility moves based on charisma :) Hell, my experience with combat has been just (likely because I'm a lowly spruce cap): take aim -> punch -> punch -> punch ... -> chop.
Finigini

Postby Fierce_Deity » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:07 am

I've been wanting haven to have more interactive combat for allies for awhile, so +1 to this. Any additional skills that make combat more diverse are welcome from me. Would open the avenue for giving the current creatures in the game some more interesting attacks. Like a roar from a bear that slows people and decreases agility by 15%. Or alpha versions of each animal.

Having more dungeon like aspects to haven would be pretty neat, but im not sure if it fits with jorbtars view of the game. I'm still hoping for things like level 6 cavefloor thats just a large dangerous underworld with no building rights. Could be reset frequently from tremors, have new mobs, unique loot.
Fierce_Deity

Postby jorb » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:52 pm

Some good thinking here. Not entirely sure what the key takeaway is, but I appreciate the effort post.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Onep » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:45 pm

jorb wrote:Some good thinking here. Not entirely sure what the key takeaway is, but I appreciate the effort post.

Something very big to squish lots of little things for big shiny thing.

Onep

Postby arcolithe » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:10 pm

Could make a "troll village" instead of wandering trolls, with chests of "uncraftables" near the center.
Could also require sieging events where the trolls build a vault or something and players can break in.
Could apply stealth skill to this PvE concept. -> because it has a PvE incentive, more players would have stealth and more players may use it for naughty stuff.
Could do many things, but it's a taxing problem on developers to figure out the best way to handle it with the least effort.

besides that, the credo and sea monster thing is a lovely concept. But I hope this sea monster thing doesn't get exploited from shore marksman, or catapults. Or complaints about getting knocked out and drowning in the water. (Pls jorb, revive us) Not sure if the community does the latter part that much, but I've seen it in many games where some ask for difficulty increase and others complain about the perma-death penalty from this increased difficulty.
arcolithe

Return to Critique & Ideas