Things you would like to see changed before the new world.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Things you would like to see changed before the new worl

Postby tigerlrg245 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:32 am

Granger wrote:@tigerlrg245 you got me wrong, the map would (should loftar implement this) transparently expand the moment a character reaches the end of it, effectively removing the concept of map borders completely.

I don't think quality should be better the farer from the center, but that the legacy civilization mechanic (more player build stuff leading to reduced wildlife, both quality and quantity) should make a comeback. Would be a better incentive to build a remote hunting lodge, out in the wilderness.

So the map would effectively be infinite? That's a bit weird.
tigerlrg245

Postby Granger » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:10 am

tigerlrg245 wrote:So the map would effectively be infinite? That's a bit weird.

Yes. But why weird? The world we live in was, until modern technology increased the speed we could traverse (and destroy) it, practically infinite when experienced from the perspective of an individual (as it was impossible to see it all)...
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby tigerlrg245 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:12 am

Granger wrote:
tigerlrg245 wrote:So the map would effectively be infinite? That's a bit weird.

Yes. But why weird? The world we live in was, until modern technology increased the speed we could traverse (and destroy) it, practically infinite when experienced from the perspective of an individual (as it was impossible to see it all)...

Because you can spend 40 hours walking north and play a single player game. Mechanics would have to change. When travelling in charterstones the charisma needed is based on a distance squared formula, this effectively means go far enough and you can't teleport back with charter, you can use roads though I guess, unless you want to be locked off forever.
I'm really unsure about this. maybe an alternative would be that the map can in theory expand infinitely (or almost) but you have to perform some task/ spend some items to expand it.
What would be your reasoning behind an infinite map?
tigerlrg245

Postby Granger » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:24 am

tigerlrg245 wrote:What would be your reasoning behind an infinite map?

It wasn't my reasoning, but something loftar mentioned a while ago:
loftar wrote:
Junkfist2 wrote:How big?

It hasn't been implemented yet, but my intention is to finally get the mechanics in place to make it run-time expandable, so that it is, effectively, infinite.

Apart from that, what would be bad about
tigerlrg245 wrote:Because you can spend 40 hours walking north and play a single player game.

?
Granger

Postby iamahh » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:00 pm

a modded client made from scratch, rudimentary but interesting somehow

bonus points if its made in Love2D
iamahh

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:58 pm

iamahh wrote:a modded client made from scratch, rudimentary but interesting somehow

bonus points if its made in Love2D

Someone was trying to make a web-based text only client (not sure it was ever completed). It's possible, and not really against the rules... but why this strange API? LUA is nice for UI design, modding, and such, but scripting is nowhere near as fast as native code, and Java compiles into native code that is only a few points slower than truly native languages like C/C++. Not to derail the thread, but maybe they're intending it to replace Flash? (I'd be for that... Flash is an unsecured POS.)

Also, don't need a new world for this... someone could do this at any time and release it.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby tigerlrg245 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:48 pm

Granger wrote:
tigerlrg245 wrote:Because you can spend 40 hours walking north and play a single player game.

?

I've been asking for a single player version years ago, many people have, and devs don't like it since its not in the spirit of the game.
If I walk north for long enough no one will ever find me if i don't want them to. why would devs agree to this now?

edit: not saying i don't like it, I just think this might have pretty big implications
tigerlrg245

Postby ricky » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:21 am

Some of the previous worlds were effectively limitless in size. World 8 was huge. When I began my journey from the center I traveled about 30 hours out and only reached maybe 1/2 the way to any border.

Devs have mentioned they don't enjoy the limitless map mode because people refuse to interact in any meaningful way.

A world map that slowly gets larger I feel is the most effective option in maintaining an interactive player base while also giving the player more room to explore.

The fast travel implication in big/limitless worlds is another issue. There will be the majority who stay within reasonable distance of the markets and realms in order to interact with people, and then the minority who would be effectively prohibited to fast travel to the markets due to charisma requirements.
Have a question? Need help? Tired of people asking questions? Haven and Hearth Wiki.
jorb wrote:Ideally the game should play itself.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
ricky

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:55 am

Access to markets and realm bonuses are probably the biggest reasons to not spread out. Even in a limited sized world that is just large enough, it'd be a huge pain to travel if you need to make more than a trip at a time. Assuming that the attribute and FEP systems are going to get a once over, anything the size of w8 would make travel near impossible if you lived on the fringes.

Then again, there is the argument that waystations/inns could truly be created for traveling merchants and such, and that the world could be MUCH bigger and still be reasonable. The problem is more player population than anything.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Granger » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:07 am

tigerlrg245 wrote:I've been asking for a single player version years ago, many people have, and devs don't like it since its not in the spirit of the game.
If I walk north for long enough no one will ever find me if i don't want them to. why would devs agree to this now?

A (more or less healthy) interest in monetary gains? I guess there are a lot of players that would be interested in H&H should they have a reasonable option to effectively opt out of open PvP, permadeath & dicks with B12s.

I think it would work nicely in conjunction with teleport free roads (which would attach a time cost to distance covered, doing away with the current teleport everywhere instantly and how much cha can you bot to use charter stones) to make map locality actually matter: the ones who want interaction would stay somewhere near the population center, the ones who don't wouldn't.

Everyone happy - except the ones whose only interest is in forcing PvP onto ones that have no interest in it, but these are a (loud) minority that shouldn't be the only target audience (given the success of Farmville and similar games).
Granger

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas