Things you would like to see changed before the new world.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Things you would like to see changed before the new worl

Postby Hrenli » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:43 pm

Zepar72 wrote:Would it be possible to disable map rendering through walls? I'm talking about caves / mines.

Not impossible, but it's not trivial and more expensive. Client has to be sent only what character can see (or it will be hacked otherwise), which means much more granular world info between client and server. And all those culling view calculations would have be run on the server... over and over again for all active characters. Compare to "here are your 9 minimaps" protocol. That's just theoretical impracticalicies with it.
Too old to rock-n-roll, too young to die.
Hrenli

Postby 2d0x » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:47 pm

Hrenli wrote:
Zepar72 wrote:Would it be possible to disable map rendering through walls? I'm talking about caves / mines.

Not impossible, but it's not trivial and more expensive...

The question is not the complexity of the implementation, but the need for such a function. There are several simple ways, but the most trivial is reducing the range of visibility :\
Excuse me, I don't speak English.
2d0x

Postby Zepar72 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:29 pm

2d0x wrote:
Hrenli wrote:

Not impossible, but it's not trivial and more expensive...

The question is not the complexity of the implementation, but the need for such a function. There are several simple ways, but the most trivial is reducing the range of visibility :\

That would work too, i guess. But that would become annoying on surface. So maybe reducing visibility range in caves to bare minimum? That wouldn't be strange, considering we're in . . dark caves.
Zepar72

Postby shubla » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:29 pm

change devs
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Granger » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:39 pm

Zepar72 wrote:So maybe reducing visibility range in caves to bare minimum? That wouldn't be strange, considering we're in . . dark caves.

There have been some discussions about that: viewtopic.php?p=760070#p760070
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Zepar72 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:44 pm

Granger wrote:
Zepar72 wrote:So maybe reducing visibility range in caves to bare minimum? That wouldn't be strange, considering we're in . . dark caves.

There have been some discussions about that: viewtopic.php?p=760070#p760070

Yeah, i know that one. My issue is more about minimap, so you don't see through walls using minimap. The darkness is another idea whatsoever, which would be cool too imo.
Zepar72

Postby 2d0x » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:00 pm

Zepar72 wrote:That would work too, i guess. But that would become annoying on surface. So maybe reducing visibility range in caves to bare minimum? That wouldn't be strange, considering we're in . . dark caves.

Dynamic visibility range, depending on lighting (for example: day, morning and evening, torch at night, night, torch in the mine, mine), if we are talking about implementation; it is hardly advisable to take into account the landscape.
Last edited by 2d0x on Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Excuse me, I don't speak English.
2d0x

Postby Granger » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:13 pm

I agree with the minimap to both arguments: it would be nice not having xray look via the minimaps for unexplored areas, but technically it would need removal minimaps and have the server deliver maps in smaller units. Would be a quite invasive change, which I would guess would also be way slower.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby MightySheep » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:17 pm

I dont want to subscribe and get a shitty bicycle helmet agian, ive already got one, pls tell me thats gonna change?
MightySheep

Postby Ysh » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:19 pm

MightySheep wrote:I dont want to subscribe and get a shitty bicycle helmet agian, ive already got one, pls tell me thats gonna change?

You have power to change this yourself.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas