The Art of Fishing: Cavefish, and Sashimi

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

The Art of Fishing: Cavefish, and Sashimi

Postby KaiMolan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:28 pm

Right now, as many have realized, fishing is dead after early game. The FEP's aren't great, and fishing itself can be a pain in the ass with how often things break to make the whole ordeal just not worth it. As such I would like to suggest the introduction of cave fish, a new workstation and tool, a new set of plants, and a few recipes to make the whole thing worth training up.

First let's talk about some Cavefish.
I believe each cavefish should have at least one +2 FEP, however it should have to go through an extra step of refinement that normal fish do not need. And that is cutting out the fish's poison before you can eat it. If you do eat a poisoned filet, Nerve Damage, and Food Poisoning wounds should appear. Food poisoning should act like an Infected Sore, or Adder Bite and grow more severe over time while also reducing how many FEP's you get from eating.

Cleaning a cavefish is where the new workstation and tool comes in.
Chef's Table :
A player must equip a Chef's Knife and use a Chef's Table to clean and filet a cavefish, which results in one of 3 outcomes based on a player's Perception, Dexterity, Cooking and Q of the player's Chef's Knife. Success = Sqr(Per * Dex * Cooking)/1000 * Sqr(Chef's Knife Q) / Quality of the Fish Filet. If greater than 1, Filet is a "Cleaned Filet". If between .50 and .99 filet is a "Questionable Filet", and if below .50, Filet is "Unclean Filet". ( The formula may
need to be fiddled with, however I feel that the industry should be difficult and worth reaching for)
Cleaned Filet: Perfectly safe to eat and use in recipes.
Questionable Filet: 50% chance to be safe. and food made with this filet will also be "Questionable", and carry the same risks.
Unclean Filet: 100% going to make you sick.

You can retry to clean Questionable and Unclean filet for a 10%-20% hit to quality, giving you both a greater chance of success, but also reducing the overall quality.

Takes 2 hard metals, 8 blocks, 8 boards to build the work station, and softcaps the filet.
Chef's Knife takes 2 steel, and a block of wood.

Let's talk about two new plants with unique growing areas.
Rice: Can only be grown in shallow waters, gives +2 CHR FEP's once cooked.
Cave Rice: Can only be grown in shallow waters underground, gives +2 CON FEP's once cook. Sometimes a "Glowing Bulb" is harvested. (Also please make them glow, that would be awesome).

Sashimi(Chef's Table):
Stats(AGI +2, Rice FEP, Fish FEP)
1 Fish Filet,
.10L Cooked Rice,
1 Green Kelp

Sushi Rice:
Stats(Rice FEP * 1.5)
1L Cooked Rice,
.05L Honey,
.05L Vinegar
Makes 1L of Sushi Rice.

Sushi Roll(Chef's Table):
Stats(Dex +2, Fish, Cheese, Veg, Rice)
1 Fish Filet,
1 Cheese(optional)
1 Vegetable or Fruit(optional)
1L of Sushi Rice
1 Green Kelp

Sushi(Sharp Object):
Sushi Roll + Sharp object = 8 Sushi Pieces.
Stats(Same as Sushi Roll, FEP Amount/8)

Glow Lure:
1 Glowing Bulb
1 String
1 Soft Metal Bar

Stalagoomba Lure:
1 Stalagoomba
1 Glowing Bulb
1 Precious Metal nugget

Cave Lure:
1 Hard Metal nugget
2 Cave Bulb
2 Stalagooms

Glimmer Lure:
1 Glimmermoss
1 Precious Metal Bar
1 Suicide upon loss(not an actual ingredient)

(Post inspired by LadyGoo's need for Fugu Fish).
edit: Left a logical error when refering to the different filets. Questionable Filet's changed from .50 to .75, to, .50 to .99.
Last edited by KaiMolan on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KaiMolan

Re: The Art of Fishing: Cavefish, and Sashimi

Postby DreadDawson » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:26 pm

Your lures look interesting, but I think that the sashimi / sushi is really out of place in Haven.
DreadDawson

Postby KaiMolan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:45 pm

DreadDawson wrote:Your lures look interesting, but I think that the sashimi / sushi is really out of place in Haven.

Hmm that's fair. The setting is Nordic inspired, I was just trying to think of how to make fishing useful and exciting, and since the Fugu Fish is more of an eastern dish, I decided to take some further inspiration from there when it came to some new fish recipes. Plus I really liked the idea of a shallow water crop, since shallow water would be a limited, and expensive resource if we had a use for it. Would add some new crops for farmers to get behind that had real value.
KaiMolan

Postby Dwarfaggedon » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:11 am

I like the Idea of different cave fish in general and the new lures for underground fish.
Dwarfaggedon

Return to Critique & Ideas