A Catch-Up Mechanic for Stats.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

A Catch-Up Mechanic for Stats.

Postby KaiMolan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:32 pm

Right now there is a threadhttp://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=59018 asking for a world reset due to insane stats and attributes. I think I have a solution instead of a world reset.

What we need is catch up mechanic, not unlike what developers make for AI when the AI can't compete. This has come in the form of extra resources, extra units, or even allowing an AI car when falling behind to go faster than it should.

I think if we were given a hunger/FEP percent bonus based on the highest stat in the server versus our highest stat it could effectively level the playing field. The idea being something like your effective hunger bonus being based on how many multitudes higher the highest player is. For example if you 100 STR as your highest stat, and highest stat in the game is 10000 AGI, then how you would find the bonus would be dividing their AGI(10000) by your STR(100). Meaning every piece of food you eat is 100 times more effective. However if your STR is 5000, food is only worth 2x it's effective rate.

A possible hidden bonus to this is that someone who is power leveling their stats, is also helping evolve and make stronger the hearthling species. It also allows those who join the world late, or those who have stopped playing for some time to catch back up. It also preserves the lead one makes through hardwork and neckbearding, without making their stats completely out of reach.
KaiMolan

Re: A Catch-Up Mechanic for Stats.

Postby Ozzy123 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:51 pm

probably the worst idea ive ever seen tbh
epicbuds wrote:just got this game a bad review on my website and will post on every forum and game page i can think of to tell people to stay away from this site this game is a joke

viruseg wrote:Kill all new players for no reason. Polish scum came running and killed me with a crowd. Suck fuck fucks..
Ozzy123

Postby KaiMolan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:58 pm

Ozzy123 wrote:probably the worst idea ive ever seen tbh

Probably the worst critique I've ever seen to be honest, mainly because it's just a comment on how bad something is and not why or how it could be better.
KaiMolan

Postby Helio » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:52 pm

I don't really agree with this idea since speeding up the progress of players will only make the game easier and more boring faster. Instead I think that the game needs to be more difficult the further you progress. Something that will change the main goal of the game from power to survival. That might be a bit drastic though.
Helio

Postby KaiMolan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:19 pm

Helio wrote:I don't really agree with this idea since speeding up the progress of players will only make the game easier and more boring faster. Instead I think that the game needs to be more difficult the further you progress. Something that will change the main goal of the game from power to survival. That might be a bit drastic though.

I agree that is a problem, however the main content in this game is created from other players. The current players getting bored with their stat levels keep asking for dungeons, land expansion, and so on. And it is an idea that could use some development regardless. Some of the ways that could be fixed is possible scaling monsters that also keep up with the highest characters or even portals you can find on Mine LV 5 that take you to unique biomes with strong scaling monsters, and procedural curiosities and materials.

Something to keep in mind though is that we have none of that already, and I reiterate that our main form of content is other players. So with that in mind, I believe with the current game and landscape players need to be able to rejoin or even start fresh in the world without feeling like they can never catch up, otherwise you will have a constantly dwindling player base that will wait for the next reset and thus less content created as well. And what happens if they miss the window to start the next world? Will they wait for the next? Or the next? It's a problem that needs to be addressed regardless of what's in the game.

I don't disagree we need more difficulty in the Enviroment, however it's not the problem that this solution is meant to address. It's meant to address the out of hand stats we're already dealing with currently in game, and to allow players a chance to catch up without resetting the world, or implementing stat caps.
KaiMolan

Postby Fierce_Deity » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:33 am

I've seen this mechanic used in a couple games on the byond platform, I can't say that I think it belongs in haven. I've even had ideas like this cross my mind, but discard them because it does not feel right for a game that spans months and years.
Fierce_Deity

Postby Helio » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:22 am

KaiMolan wrote:And what happens if they miss the window to start the next world? Will they wait for the next? Or the next? It's a problem that needs to be addressed regardless of what's in the game.

I don't disagree we need more difficulty in the Enviroment, however it's not the problem that this solution is meant to address. It's meant to address the out of hand stats we're already dealing with currently in game, and to allow players a chance to catch up without resetting the world, or implementing stat caps.

A scaling difficulty will also address the problem of a progress gap but instead of speeding others up it cuts the higher players down. I'm also not quite sure what you mean when you say that content is created by the players.
Helio

Postby KaiMolan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:28 am

Helio wrote:
KaiMolan wrote:And what happens if they miss the window to start the next world? Will they wait for the next? Or the next? It's a problem that needs to be addressed regardless of what's in the game.

A scaling difficulty will also address the problem of a progress gap but instead of speeding others up it cuts the higher players down. I'm also not quite sure what you mean when you say that content is created by the players.

The community faire(trading), the realm wars, Bandits, and even old ruins are all examples of content that players create and fuel. Yes not all content flows from other players, but a lot of content is created by other players, not unlike in minecraft or other sandbox games.
KaiMolan

Postby MrPunchers » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:58 pm

Terrible
Suck me good and hard thru my jorts
MrPunchers

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:23 am

MrPunchers wrote:Terrible

Can't sum it up better than this without getting rude.

I try not to crap on ideas (anymore since I'm a moderator and somehow people think I have more say on what goes into the game), but the problem is other things, such as learning effective game play just to name one.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas