Road mechanic rework / remove teleportation

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Road mechanic rework / remove teleportation

Postby Zentetsuken » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:17 pm

No more teleportation sounds awesome. Another way to eliminate the litter of roads would be to simply make them much more expensive too.

It's so easy to set up a road system with the tiny cost of wood to make signs. If they took glue or dreams or something additional it could not only be a resource sink but it would hopefully make the routes that ARE built to be less careless?
Zentetsuken

Postby Artemiswhb » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:28 pm

Or you bring back the old crossroads, but make them expensive AF. Litter gone, no roads everywhere because they're expensive to make. ;)
Artemiswhb

Postby Granger » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:44 pm

Zentetsuken wrote:No more teleportation sounds awesome. Another way to eliminate the litter of roads would be to simply make them much more expensive too.

It's so easy to set up a road system with the tiny cost of wood to make signs. If they took glue or dreams or something additional it could not only be a resource sink but it would hopefully make the routes that ARE built to be less careless?

Wait, isn't it usually me that is criticised for mechanics that are too punishing toward the players?

Artemiswhb wrote:Or you bring back the old crossroads, but make them expensive AF. Litter gone, no roads everywhere because they're expensive to make. ;)
Developer teleport for everyone?
That the old crossroads are gone is a good thing, that they enabled charters to allow for uninterruptible teleport was already a bad move.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby MooCow » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:52 am

Teleportation has always been a poor system of travel. Actually having to walk places will definitely make the game more interesting. Forcing players to build closer to one another if they want to interact.

My hope is that when this system is implemented they also introduce a song that can protect people from animals and grieffers during a 3 hour journey; allowing them to log out or go afk. The song shouldn't make you go faster, just make you too damn jolly to attack or be attacked.
MooCow

Postby Ozzy123 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:01 am

The amount of players that want more difficult traveling is like 1% probably, it doesn't make the game more difficult, it makes it more tedious, really just make a poll about it. You people will quit after a month of the new world but we will keep playing and we want to be able to meet up with friends fast, not travel to them for 3 hours. It's just a fucking game, not a real life simulator, people are studying, working, people have lives and wasting them to travel for 3 hours just left clicking and left clicking isn't something anyone wants. Stop writing these ideas, Granger we all know you hate this game and the players but stop.
epicbuds wrote:just got this game a bad review on my website and will post on every forum and game page i can think of to tell people to stay away from this site this game is a joke

viruseg wrote:Kill all new players for no reason. Polish scum came running and killed me with a crowd. Suck fuck fucks..
Ozzy123

Postby Adder1234 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:02 am

I'd be content with roads using travel weariness.
Adder1234

Postby MightySheep » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:15 am

imo teleporting everywhere seems totally contrary to the selling point and immersion of this game + allows big factions to exert as much influence over the other end of the map as they can in their own backyard if they feel like it

quick mobility options make sense to reduce tedium but id much rather see something that actually belongs in this game like a horse and carriage highway and not some cheap teleportation hax or if you going to have teleporting hax why not natural teleporting pillars that teleport to each other at various points around the map

we all know you eventually get to a stage whre you can just point to any swamp or mountain or big locations and be there in seconds, PvP goes from rare and exciting encounters in vast open world mmorpg to something more like a team deathmatch game, better start running after 10 minutes unless you got backup coming to counter their backup

I know what its like when all you want to do is pvp you get bored quick unless you get constant action so you look at the world map and see any sign of activity "ooh theres a big village in grid H10" then use big warp network to patrol that area for a while, I'm the same so I dont even know why Im arguing against it but I think I visited every kingdom and every noteworthy village last world; theres not much mystery left to the game when you have a world map and teleport hax to everywhere

theres a middle ground between waddling around for hours and instant zipping from any place to any other place-- some HIGH SPEED public infrastructure would be much more interesting

ps. i actually dont mind teleporting, i just dont think it makes sense for this game
MightySheep

Postby Massa » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:56 am

Zentetsuken wrote:No more teleportation sounds awesome. Another way to eliminate the litter of roads would be to simply make them much more expensive too.

I would like a simpler solution that is just buried markers that display when using a dowsing rod or something.
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby Jackwolf » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:40 am

Massa wrote:I would like a simpler solution that is just buried markers that display when using a dowsing rod or something.

No. Then they're not as easily uninterruptible as they are now.

Zentetsuken wrote:It's so easy to set up a road system with the tiny cost of wood to make signs. If they took glue or dreams or something additional it could not only be a resource sink but it would hopefully make the routes that ARE built to be less careless?

A weird suggestion giving the way things are going in the Visitor buff thread... why not make all roads include an optional dream in construction of the mile markers, or perhaps a large chunk of haven-magic items optionally included in the initial road marker post. If said items are used in both the construction of the initial marker and the mile markers (or simply one of them) then the road can be used for fast travel. This in conjunction with the addition of travel weariness will make roads a little more... balanced. It definitely adds to the tedium of setting up a road, which is already tedious, but at the benefit of very longer term excellent benefits. Said roads could also, reasonably, add a moderate speed boost when following the road - more so if paved, perhaps.
Beezer12Washingbeard: If poo mechanics were implemented, mercury could cure constipation wounds
magisticus: Most of us avoid making jokes like this because there is always a risk Loftar might think it's a good idea and we all have to re-design our villages for sewerage. -6/29/17
Jackwolf

Postby Granger » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:24 am

I don't have much of an issue with the difficulty of setting up roads, just with them (as of their limitations in the current incarnation) littering the world because you can't route a new road over parts of an existing one that already follows the path you want your new one to follow too.

Hence the suggestion for an upgraded mechanic to overcome these existing shortcomings.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas