Road mechanic rework / remove teleportation

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Road mechanic rework / remove teleportation

Postby Tanchist » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:04 pm

Granger wrote:
Tanchist wrote:they decay anyway.

Actually... they don't

Sorry, you were right the way I initially wrote it, so I edited it.
Wastelands. Ruins everywhere from proud civilizations, with today's survivors scavenging whatever they can carry even if they can't even use it. Eating rats cooked alive is OK for everyone. Walking around naked is natural, since very few have time to waste in getting a rag to cover their deep wounds. And the game is only Alpha.
Tanchist

Postby Granger » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:07 pm

OK, back on topic then.

What do you guys (and girls) think about removing teleportation from the roads and centralize them a bit, to foster more encounters?
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby viznew » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:22 am

with out teleport, more markets stand a chance (as its safer to shop local when you gotta move throu danger lands)

war whould gain more footing for stratagy (the movement of war supplys and people requires thought in war zones)

smaller kingdome would prob have greater chance at holding lands (big far off kingdome whould have to put more work to atk outside thier general area)

hermits in wild would be safer

adventures/ expeditions would have more draw

if paved or something the beauty factor of the world chould skyrocket

if harder to make then current road (which is far far to easy right now) roads become a real investment worth protecting

convoys!!
ImageImage
viznew

Postby ricky » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:51 am

I enjoy the idea of fast travel instead of teleportation, but i feel there's a lot of issues that might prevent it.

for instance:
how do you manage current waylay mechanics
would travelling the whole length of a road abnormally fast cause server/client strain?
how do you cross rivers?

But in general, I support all of these ideas. I enjoy the idea of having travel weariness reduced via paving/developing, but i'm not so certain it's enough of an incentive to make people actually do it. then again, I don't have any better ideas
Have a question? Need help? Tired of people asking questions? Haven and Hearth Wiki.
jorb wrote:Ideally the game should play itself.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
ricky

Postby Granger » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:48 am

I don't know about server load caused by fast travel so I would be happy if loftar would share his thoughts on this. I suspect the maps with the roads have to be loaded anyway (to do collision checks) so that part wouldn't change, so what would be left is that the outbound traffic would increase with the boost factor (since it should increase the amount of things you see in a linear way, scaling with your speed)

Crossing rivers is solvable at shallows (given that carts can cross them), might need a bit more planning as you can't just build a straight road through several supergrids (as has been done underground in the past) but have to take terrain features into account.

The reasoning I think that markers would profit from holding an unlimited amount of trails (and it to be no crime to connect another since it doesn't impact others) is that it would massively increase the likelihood of main roads forming (as people are lazy, so they would most likely route their tails along existing paths).

When we then add 'no teleportation' so people would actually meet... More fun I guess, as the world wouldn't feel that empty anymore.
Granger

Postby DDDsDD999 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:35 pm

Granger wrote:When we then add 'no teleportation' so people would actually meet... More fun I guess, as the world wouldn't feel that empty anymore.

Why would making the world effectively larger make people meet more? I don't get this logic, it'd only make it less interactive.
DDDsDD999

Postby Granger » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:05 pm

Because you would no longer teleport over other people (thus never ever even notice them), but instead run into them when actually covering the ground to make the trip?
Granger

Postby dafels » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:09 pm

ye roads littering the lands are cancer
dafels

Postby Amanda44 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:36 pm

dafels wrote:ye roads littering the lands are cancer

This is one of the aspects of road mechanics that do admittedly bother me, it's bad enough when someone makes a road with signs that snakes around your village, without some paving to go along with it spoiling the landscape (some roads are like multicoloured, w/e stone is at hand as they progress, looks dreadful!) and then bringing unwanted attention from groups of passers by. You are not going to be in control of who or when someone decides they need to build a road in your direction.

I'm not actually totally against removing teleportation from roads but this aspect of reworking them does give me cause for concern if I'm honest.
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby DDDsDD999 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:40 am

Granger wrote:Because you would no longer teleport over other people (thus never ever even notice them), but instead run into them when actually covering the ground to make the trip?

I value interactions such as trading at large markets and events at fairs over random encounters in forests, which realistically just end up with someone getting chased.
DDDsDD999

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas