Caves should be dark as fook again.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Caves should be dark as fook again.

Postby 2d0x » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:33 pm

Granger wrote:...I'm sure you could come up with more an better (=worse for the player) stuff.

Worse? It's easy: fear (the character is out of control) and panic (the player runs uncontrollably).
Excuse me, I don't speak English.
2d0x

Postby Ysh » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:35 pm

2d0x wrote:
Granger wrote:...I'm sure you could come up with more an better (=worse for the player) stuff.

Worse? It's easy: fear (the character is out of control) and panic (the player runs uncontrollably).

Then when poor nab wander into cave to see what is hole in earth, he will panic and run deeper into cave and become trap. Surely you must think of this nab.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby 2d0x » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:37 pm

Ysh wrote:
2d0x wrote:

Then when poor nab wander into cave to see what is hole in earth, he will panic and run deeper into cave and become trap. Surely you must think of this nab.

Panic, and then endless fear %Е Oh, if a player is saved (by someone?), then nightmares must follow him (self-generated Nidbanes)! And permanent claustrophobia, of course.
2d0x

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:31 pm

2d0x wrote:Panic, and then endless fear %Е Oh, if a player is saved (by someone?), then nightmares must follow him (self-generated Nidbanes)! And permanent claustrophobia, of course.

What is this, Call of C'thulu?
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Granger » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:39 pm

MagicManICT wrote:What is this, Call of C'thulu?

:lol:

I would settle with stumbling + faceplant + concussion, plus the inability to interact with unlit parts of the world (with animals still wanting to eat them).
Should be plenty enough motivatation for players to have light.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:52 am

Granger wrote:I would settle with stumbling + faceplant + concussion, plus the inability to interact with unlit parts of the world (with animals still wanting to eat them).
Should be plenty enough motivatation for players to have light.

If an animal were to initiate combat with a player (vs the player trying to hunt out the animal, I think a serious penalty could be worked out to factor in the complete lack of sight instead of just disallowing any interaction. After all, one can feel around and can use audio information to help.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby blinx » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:04 am

I don't know about you guys, but I for one am actually capable of moving around without faceplanting and giving myself a fuckin concussion (you'd have to fall pretty fucking badly to get concussed) in even complete darkness - albeit much more slowly than with light.
Blind people seem to manage okay without concussing themselves, too.

Furthermore, over long periods of time the human eye can adjust to use pretty tiny amounts of light, which would inevitably leak into the cave system from the minehole/cave entrance to some degree, at least within a few hundred meters of them.

Also, I would think animals would be more disturbed/aggro'd by a light source in an otherwise dark environment, rather than less - so having animals attack you for not having a light source is kind of silly IMO.

I would suggest: Forcing walk or crawl speed when not in a lit area, at least underground. One can move safely in complete or near-complete darkness, but not quickly.
blinx

Postby 2d0x » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:11 am

blinx wrote:I would suggest: Forcing walk or crawl speed when not in a lit area, at least underground. One can move safely in complete or near-complete darkness, but not quickly.

Leak stamina (otherwise you can dig, almost without moving) and low perception as an option?
2d0x

Postby Damon_Cooper » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:27 am

Shouldn't we need the ability to display more then 3 light sources at first? How would I navigate through my under ground base if it would be in complete darkness (though hiddenly "litted")?
Enjoyment's alternative account
Damon_Cooper

Postby Gensokyo » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:59 am

Could always just not send mob and tile update information while said things are in the dark, allowing for the caves to stay non-pitch black while still giving light a reason to exist.

There would have to be some sort of implementation of an earlier carryable light source though, as otherwise the early days would be incredibly shitty.
Gensokyo

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas