Caves should be dark as fook again.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Caves should be dark as fook again.

Postby sMartins » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:15 pm

Tbh I wouldn't care about cheats, bots, custom clients, etc.. etc.. The aim should be to develop a beautiful game, then later on, maybe, there is always time to fix problems about security and cheats. If anyone want to spoil his own experience of the game using cheats that would be only his fault, but it's a shame to me not implementing good stuff cause afraid that can be hacked. It's a game, and it's supposed to be fun, it's not a bank account.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby Aceb » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:19 pm

sMartins wrote:Tbh I wouldn't care about cheats, bots, custom clients, etc.. etc.. The aim should be to develop a beautiful game, then later on, maybe, there is always time to fix problems about security and cheats. If anyone want to spoil his own experience of the game using cheats that would be only his fault, but it's a shame to me not implementing good stuff cause afraid that can be hacked. It's a game, and it's supposed to be fun, it's not a bank account.

That's why I personally would wish for it to be in "graphic options" as a toggle.
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby sMartins » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:48 pm

Why a toggle? To me on the official client caves should be dark, stop. (if you want the light you use a torch)
Do you know how many times I had people staring at me while working on something and me realizing that they were there only minutes later, cause I don't have alarms, marks on the map, etc etc... and then when I see them, I say HI, walk to them to greet and talk with them and they most of the times run away, lol ... it's not a problem to me ... maybe just sound fx for chars presence, walking, etc.. should be a bit better.
Same thing would be for dark caves.
sMartins

Postby Aceb » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:11 pm

jorb wrote:An invitation to light-hacks, unfortunately. Darkness is nothing we can easily enforce.

sMartins wrote:Why a toggle? To me on the official client caves should be dark, stop. (if you want the light you use a torch)
Do you know how many times I had people staring at me while working on something and me realizing that they were there only minutes later, cause I don't have alarms, marks on the map, etc etc... and then when I see them, I say HI, walk to them to greet and talk with them and they most of the times run away, lol ... it's not a problem to me ... maybe just sound fx for chars presence, walking, etc.. should be a bit better.
Same thing would be for dark caves.

Isn't that You can hear people actually walking? Because I think it was a thing already? I might be wrong, I play without sounds lately.

On top of that, I wish it as toggle for a reason Jorb stated above. If You want it just beatiful like me, why would You bother with is as a toggle or not?...
sMartins wrote:Tbh I wouldn't care about cheats, bots, custom clients, etc.. etc.. The aim should be to develop a beautiful game [...]

I want to have my game beatiful too. But "toggling that toggle" I would know, I left myself unaware of lighthackers as a choice and feature.
Don't take me wrong, I would wish too, for "hello darkness my old friend" for everyone but You should know by now how lighthack will be popular and with jorb statement, asking for a toggle for us, just to have it beatiful and our "own" way, is a cool option imho.
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby Granger » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:24 pm

azrid wrote:Light hack+miner helm=winner vs legit player

In case the legit player dosn't wear a miner helm himself, panics and faceplants in the dark... possibly. Also possibly that the 'legit player' is a lower statted/geared character that would die anyway in such an encounter anyway, but also posible that it would pull a better q B12 and end the light hack user.

What was your point again?
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby ricky » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:37 pm

Just makes characters take steady damage from night horrors if they don't have a light source. Whether it be bugs which eat the player or more lore focused boogeymen, there should be punishments for cave exploration without proper equipment.

People might still opt to use light hacks, but at least now if they try to explore they're going to have to sacrifice a large portion of their health.

Beyond just being "muh immersion", its a deterrent to day one cave resource monopolization. People will have to either build fires through caves day one or send suicide alts to scout for Guano and Rock crystals, at least until they can get candles and torches
Have a question? Need help? Tired of people asking questions? Haven and Hearth Wiki.
jorb wrote:Ideally the game should play itself.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
ricky

Postby sMartins » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:46 pm

Aceb wrote:....

Yeah you can hear people walking but is very low, and most of the time in practice you wouldn't hear them ... I was just meaning maybe to improve that in some way.

About the toggle thing I see what you mean ... but well, there are already so many things that new players aren't aware of, anyone will discover the same pretty soon, like is happenig now, that there are customs clients that enable many hacks in the game.
A new player may also think that he can hide himself behind a cliff or a tree ... he doesn't know that there are alarms, marks o the map, hide objects functions ... etc .. so it's the same thing. He will discover that with the time, and tbh would be better if he doesn't discover about that and keep enjoying the game.
Last edited by sMartins on Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sMartins

Postby mlg_no-Scoper » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:48 pm

I talked a lot about this on another post here: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=59393 , and i feel that what was said on that post relates to this a lot. also, i don't really want to restate my opinion, so just read my reply on there
mlg_no-Scoper

Postby mlg_no-Scoper » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:52 pm

ricky wrote:Just makes characters take steady damage from night horrors if they don't have a light source. Whether it be bugs which eat the player or more lore focused boogeymen, there should be punishments for cave exploration without proper equipment.

People might still opt to use light hacks, but at least now if they try to explore they're going to have to sacrifice a large portion of their health.

Beyond just being "muh immersion", its a deterrent to day one cave resource monopolization. People will have to either build fires through caves day one or send suicide alts to scout for Guano and Rock crystals, at least until they can get candles and torches

i believe there should be some light source that doesn't require wood or something to stay lit, as it will just make people do what you talked about for day one mining and stuff. I would use torches and fires and etc for light as light and fire in this game looks so beatiful and night is somewhat dark, but its too much of a hassle to keep them lit, and since im a jew, i refuse to even think about spending sticks and fuel for something i can easily live without
mlg_no-Scoper

Postby azrid » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:14 pm

Granger wrote:What was your point again?

I guess that your suggested darkness penalties will do nothing but inconvenience the player and not really reinforce being a legit player.
It will give a leg up for hackers. While right now legits and hackers are on equal ground in vision.
azrid

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas