Caves should be dark as fook again.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Caves should be dark as fook again.

Postby Granger » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:47 am

azrid wrote:
Granger wrote:What was your point again?

I guess that your suggested darkness penalties will do nothing but inconvenience the player and not really reinforce being a legit player.
It will give a leg up for hackers. While right now legits and hackers are on equal ground in vision.

Care to back that up with some reasoning, apart from users of custom clients graphical 'improvements' (skynet tactical map mode) having an edge? Because concentrating on that direction of though leads to the need of removing all the graphics from the official client in favor of some squares on a flat map... which would just be a silly..
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby SacreDoom » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:04 am

Why not provide bonuses for using lightsources rather than imposing harsh penalties for not using them? Would at least increase immersion since people will likely use the lightsources anyway.
SacreDoom

Postby Adder1234 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:07 am

A less harsh penalty: Make characters in the dark move at crawling speed.
Adder1234

Postby Granger » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:09 am

SacreDoom wrote:Why not provide bonuses for using lightsources rather than imposing harsh penalties for not using them? Would at least increase immersion since people will likely use the lightsources anyway.

Do you have suggestions for those, preferably ones that (when combined with other boni) won't boil down to adding another overpowered mechanic?
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby sMartins » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:18 am

Granger wrote:
SacreDoom wrote:Why not provide bonuses for using lightsources rather than imposing harsh penalties for not using them? Would at least increase immersion since people will likely use the lightsources anyway.

Do you have suggestions for those, preferably ones that (when combined with other boni) won't boil down to adding another overpowered mechanic?

Get rid off bat cape ... and use torches to scare/not be aggroed by bats ... or something along this line.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby iamahh » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:28 am

adding difficulty won't stop the convenience bonus veterans to fly by early world, just noobs and f2p will lag behind... slimes are enough to make miners need agility, armor, weapon, ua or mc, mansory, str, con, and then medicine... it's like you'll need to have an all-in-one char just to handle mining early on... and then there are credos and suicides, people will stack crazy buffs and abilities, this I don't understand
iamahh

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:17 am

Adder1234 wrote:A less harsh penalty: Make characters in the dark move at crawling speed.

This wouldn't be so bad, especially if combined with "Unless they're a cave hermit"
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby Astarisk » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:11 am

Granger wrote:
azrid wrote:
Granger wrote:What was your point again?

I guess that your suggested darkness penalties will do nothing but inconvenience the player and not really reinforce being a legit player.
It will give a leg up for hackers. While right now legits and hackers are on equal ground in vision.

Care to back that up with some reasoning, apart from users of custom clients graphical 'improvements' (skynet tactical map mode) having an edge? Because concentrating on that direction of though leads to the need of removing all the graphics from the official client in favor of some squares on a flat map... which would just be a silly..

The question to answer would be who does this change effect the most? A harsh penalty in darkness effects the weaker players more so than the stronger players. The ones with the skynet tactical map mode clients are the ones who would be the least impacted by a change like that. More so, calling it a buff and adding a benefit is much nicer than trying to impose a debuff and restriction. It just psychology feels better and at least maintains the status quo a bit better, Not to mention checking for light and darkness adds more computational costs on the server side...

But yeah, what this game absolutely needs is more immersion.

*Edit*
Not to mention, if I recall correctly loftar only lets so many light sources actually render within the client due to performance reasons. So having too much light could harm you as you might not be able to determine whats dark or not visually. I could be wrong in remembering this though.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby sMartins » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:55 am

What I'd like to point out is we should stop to think how the changes would effect the weaker players or the stronger players, etc, etc... a game has to be beautiful, fun, not efficient.
We should look at that with the eyes of a new players ... he discovers that there are caves, but it's dark and he is scared to go in there, so they appears mysterious to him and so he want to discover more, developing his chars, crafting torches and go exploring that mysterious place, and in short keep playing the game.
This is how I think we need to look at the game ...
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby azrid » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:03 am

Granger wrote:Care to back that up with some reasoning, apart from users of custom clients graphical 'improvements' having an edge?

The point of that post was to compare advantages of custom client feature users and people that don't use them. In your original post you suggested a light hack might be even contra-productive which is not true. This change would only put miner helmets on peoples heads in stead of dragon helmets. Visually nothing changes(apart from the hat).

I would enjoy dark nights above ground on top of eternal darkness in the mines. I think it should be done by giving bonuses that would be useful for the kind of player that wouldn't use light hacks.
Astarisk wrote:Not to mention, if I recall correctly loftar only lets so many light sources actually render within the client due to performance reasons. So having too much light could harm you as you might not be able to determine whats dark or not visually. I could be wrong in remembering this though.

You can test this out by lighting a bonfire and then gaining a lot of stats very fast. The light source of the bonfire will disappear if enough stat light sources appear.

Smartins wrote:We should look at that with the eyes of a new players ... he discovers that there are...

he discovers that there are...
...players that appear out of the darkness far out from light radius somehow knowing where you are.
he discovers that there are...
...light hacks and he should be using them on top of a light source
he discovers that the...
existence of darkness only hinders him as a new player

I like this game :D
azrid

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas