Caves should be dark as fook again.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Caves should be dark as fook again.

Postby Yorla » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:16 pm

Granger wrote:I would settle with stumbling + faceplant + concussion, plus the inability to interact with unlit parts of the world (with animals still wanting to eat them).
Should be plenty enough motivatation for players to have light.

I hope this also was a joke. Because if this nightmare scenario will be implemented, next thing I will actively vote for is adding light source directly to the mine support beams. After all, what do you think these rings are here for?

And here I should apologize for my spelling... But I won't! Deal with it :P
Yorla

Postby Adder1234 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:18 pm

Yorla wrote:I hope this also was a joke. Because if this nightmare scenario will be implemented, next thing I will actively vote for is adding light source directly to the mine support beams. After all, what do you think these rings are here for?

That picture is of a surprised face and I cannot see anything else.
Adder1234

Postby Granger » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:24 pm

Yorla wrote:
Granger wrote:I would settle with stumbling + faceplant + concussion, plus the inability to interact with unlit parts of the world (with animals still wanting to eat them).
Should be plenty enough motivatation for players to have light.

I hope this also was a joke. Because if this nightmare scenario will be implemented, next thing I will actively vote for is adding light source directly to the mine support beams. After all, what do you think these rings are here for?

No joke whatsoever.
And I would support you on a suggestion to allow attaching light sources that need some fuel from time to time directly to mine supports.

Doing stuff in caves has gotten way too easy because of the light hack, I would like to see them return to their prior difficulty because it was more fun.
YMMV.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby 2d0x » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:40 pm

Granger wrote:...Doing stuff in caves has gotten way too easy because of the light hack, I would like to see them return to their prior difficulty because it was more fun...

Does something drastically change? Milestone/Fireplace. And/or http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Candle_Crown
Excuse me, I don't speak English.
2d0x

Postby Granger » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:50 pm

I have no issue when someone builds (and maintains) a chain of fires into a cave.

Regarding roads (I guess that's what you ment with 'milestones') I hope that there will be change (see viewtopic.php?f=48&t=59271 and the detailed version on page 2) even with the part about removing teleportation not making it, as it would remove clutter and give more natural roads.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby 2d0x » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:54 pm

Granger, I am more interested in this: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=59436&start=50#p797022

ringofbrodgar.com wrote:...It also glows...

http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Holy_Halo
Excuse me, I don't speak English.
2d0x

Postby Yorla » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:59 pm

To Granger: Of course it's vary, thank you.
To the supporters of the idea: You are proposing to punish people with low fps and poor vision who use light hack (not only them, but still) while you can have it your way just without using the hack. Why are you so cruel?
Yorla

Postby blinx » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:07 pm

Also it should be noted that for many, many reasons medieval and pre-medieval era mines and underground constructions and such were extremely poorly lit - we are very spoiled in the modern era with our constant and high-output light sources, and we forget that our forebears got along without light pretty regularly.
blinx

Postby Damon_Cooper » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:17 pm

Also, ability to mine in quarries, and mine-entrances as light sources
Enjoyment's alternative account
Damon_Cooper

Postby Yorla » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:21 pm

Yeah, but they didn't play computer games with poorly lit screens for many hours. And their lifespan was much shorter. And... Well, actually egyptians used metal mirrors to lit their mines and quarries with diffuse light. The semidarkness in H&H caves is kinda simulates that (even if unintentionally).
Yorla

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas