Caves should be dark as fook again.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Caves should be dark as fook again.

Postby Ysh » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:54 pm

shubla wrote:
Ysh wrote:
shubla wrote:Player moves. It's O(n) being done every server-tick for every player that is in cave, because the state of being in light or not may change as the player or light sources move. I am also pretty sure that the server currently does not iterate through every object that is near the player every server tick.

I do not consider this point. Do you know when or how does server evaluate when to send object? It seem to me that object changed/removed messages are sent at consistent positions, which I think will imply that it is not checking my position on timer, but rather every time I move. If this is the case, then I think my point still stands. I admit that I do not study this game that closely though.

It will probably check characters position. But it will not iterate through objects that often.
When characters position moves, so that it will unload/load new areas with objects, it will tell the client to remove objects from areas that client should see no more, and load objects from areas that client will now see.
Each object will only be iterated once when the server sends them. And once when the server tells client to unload them. Of course, sometimes objects positions or other data about them may change, then server will send that to the client, but only for that 1 object that changed.

So then your guess is server have world subdivided into some low resolution ''visibility grid.'' Each visibility grid tile will know which object is within it. When player moves, server checks if player position changes visibility grid and then removes objects within grid that have left range and add new objects for grid that have entered range. This seem to be reasonable system to me, and if this is the case then I do agree it seem this problem of light source is not so trivial.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby Granger » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:05 am

Ysh wrote:So then your guess is server have world subdivided into some low resolution ''visibility grid.'' Each visibility grid tile will know which object is within it. When player moves, server checks if player position changes visibility grid and then removes objects within grid that have left range and add new objects for grid that have entered range. This seem to be reasonable system to me, and if this is the case then I do agree it seem this problem of light source is not so trivial.

Given what can be derived from how the world behaves the server stores the map in minimap sized tiles (visible through how decay, biome growth and forage respawns behaves) while batching of object updates to the client happens using a smaller grid (visible when using a non-default :cam and moving around).

But the granularity the clients get their updates in is irrelevant to potential server-side light level checks.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby vatas » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:05 pm

I remember hearing about "exploit" people used before client night vision: making shit ton of alts and having their HFs act as light source in caves. This would be bit more time-consuming because you'd have to build Beacon for every alt, but still doable.

Forcing characters to crawl speed on darkness and making them unable to see forageables would be somewhat sensible compromise. Making character's trip for concussion sounds neither reasonable or realistic.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby Ysh » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:02 pm

Granger wrote:But the granularity the clients get their updates in is irrelevant to potential server-side light level checks.

Topic of technology feasibility is relevant to topic of implement suggesting.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby Granger » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:58 pm

Ysh wrote:
Granger wrote:But the granularity the clients get their updates in is irrelevant to potential server-side light level checks.

What I said was that the way the client is updated (which you talked about) is completely irrelevant when it comes to the question of the computational cost for checking if (or how well) the character is lit.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Ysh » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:47 pm

Granger wrote:
Ysh wrote:

What I said was that the way the client is updated (which you talked about) is completely irrelevant when it comes to the question of the computational cost for checking if (or how well) the character is lit.

If it were the case that this lighting calculation can piggy back off of existing client update, then this will establish there is no question of technology feasibility. In this case it is not irrelevant at all. Of course, this case is not reality, but I did not know this when I make those postings! This is why I make them, so that we can have some discussion and the participant can become enrich by it.

Ysh

Postby Vassteel » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:51 pm

I would like a toggle for cave darkness for aesthetic reasons

thank you make it happen jorb, loftar.
jorb wrote:Stop shitposting.
Vassteel

Postby Avu » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:13 pm

I suggest the darkness lovers lead by example and cut themselves from the power grid. The side effect will be of course they stop being able to make the game more tedious...
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

Postby rhzk » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:31 am

rhzk

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas