Burrows again.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Burrows again.

Postby L4Lovely » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:44 pm

Is there a reasoning behind burrows being indestructible?

Pros of burrows:

+ Good early housing for players
+ Easy and early storage facilities for cupboards

Cons:

- Very early on they lose their purpose
- Indestructible, there's no way to get rid of it
- They're not good looking
- Burrows are hard to integrate into a village's design // especially when elevation differs
- No reason why they are indestructible

And for a lack of a better reason other than they're a huge pain in the bottom, imo there should be a way to remove them.

Best regards, L4~

EDIT: Didn't come up with that solution before but a claimed burrow, be it by pclaim or vclaim should be bashable. I think that one is reasonable.
Last edited by L4Lovely on Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L4Lovely

Re: Burrows again.

Postby shubla » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:17 pm

I agree that they look pretty horrible and they have next to none purpose.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby DreadDawson » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:24 am

They will likely serve a purpose when wolves and or weather/seasons are implemented
DreadDawson

Postby L4Lovely » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:45 am

Yeah, I understand that. Doesn't justify why they're indestructible either.
L4Lovely

Postby L4Lovely » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:30 pm

Bump.

-Devs please respond! :3
L4Lovely

Postby DreadDawson » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:21 pm

L4Lovely wrote:Bump.

-Devs please respond! :3

They've been on since before the first post vacation, the'll get to it when they can.
DreadDawson

Postby Amanda44 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:25 pm

Well, I guess i'm alone ... but I like them, I think you can make nice features of them in a village, garden for example ... storage, I'm not sure I agree with them being destructible really, it sounds ok when you say 'on claimed ground' I guess but, idk, what if someone decides to go around short term claiming them just to destroy them?
It sounds unlikely I admit ... but this is Haven, we have some 'unlikely' ppl here ... :P ... and you may not care, but, a lot of new players use them as temp housing and as Dawson says, maybe they will now house the wolves. :)
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby L4Lovely » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:55 pm

I understand your concerns. But those could be mitigated very easily.

For example
: If a claimed burrow gets destroyed, let another one spawn on a suitable and uninhabited area.
(could be a tad too weird behaviour, though not even trees are respawning, which is weird aswell)

Example no. 1.2: Make another burrow respawn after a reasonable cooldown.

Example no. 2: Make it possible for hearthlings to build them early on in the game for reasonable resource costs. (POSSIBLY they could work like an improved leanto?)

Example no. 3: Make them only destructable by village claim. This would mitigate your concern, Amanda which I think is a reasonable one. Since I highly doubt anyone would actively waste their time to free the world of burrows by vclaim, but then again... slow respawn rates would solve that.

I'm still certain they should be removable by claim, at least by vclaiming them.

Best regards, L4!
L4Lovely

Postby Amanda44 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:10 pm

Firstly, thanks for responding with alternative suggestions and addressing my concerns.

And, yes, being destructible under a Vclaim sounds like a better option to me.
Though, if they are going to be used in connection with wolves maybe devs won't want them to be destroyed, or maybe then they could use your respawn method. :)
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby Field » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:06 pm

I think hearthlings should be able to create burrows in a way like you make a cellar. Place a build sign, build entrance and dig out the contents (dirt) and enjoy your well placed burrow.

I bet that issue with them is the fact that they were coded in with no set HP that means they can't decay. That's one of their biggest strengths honestly. They will outlive anything you can have on your possession. Also they are way smaller than buildings, they are afterall a cellar entrances in the open world, if they can be destroyed suddenly that means that any items stored inside will be gone? Am I thinking correctly? Is that what happens with empty house and full cellar? And if there's HP added to Burrows they probably... will decay as anything in this game. It's a tough nut to crack IMO. Bashable under the Village Claim still means somebody could use crimes to do it, so the holes in the ground everywhere are protected by hearth law?
Field

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas