A Plea for Decay (Character)

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: A Plea for Decay (Character)

Postby terechgracz » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:32 pm

Why can't we just make so decay hit big bois?
Let's say we active decay only for characters that has more than 1000 sum of skills/stats, after getting above it you have to eat more and study more to just manage this level of stats.
But i'd rather want some really hard hitting cap, ie. you could only assimptotically go towards 1500 sum, no more.
terechgracz

Postby Granger » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:27 pm

Hrenli wrote:
Granger wrote:Please try to wrap your head around the fact that the same happens currently

No it doesn't. The stone in that wall is of certain quality and to get full of it I need the same amount of masonry. I can login half a year later and it will be the same.

Please try other perspective too.
I have looked at it from that perspective. While it would be inconvenient to be (more or less) out of shape when you return from a holiday... it's more dishearthening to realize that the quality of the stone in that wall is now completely irrelevant as, with the current system, the quality that was cool before you took a break is now 1/10th (just to make up a number) of what is generated by others by now - and you're guaranteed to never reach their level? Granted, this works better with farming proucts (or anything crafted), but that's basically one of the many problems I see with the current approach.

Also keep in mind that, when returning after 1/2 year, your whole base will likely be completely reclaimed by nature anyways.

Just for a moment, step back from "me vs bigbois" point of view to "me vs stone wall" or "me vs a bear". Quite a few people don't even know about titans or what their stats are. They are just trying the game. Which is quite fun to learn for the first time on your own and at your own pace.
Quite true, up to the moment they first see the qualitites that exist somewhere else in the world: this is the moment they extrapolate that it would take years to get to this level, then they say 'fuck this', give up and leave. I have seen this happening plenty of times to new players over the years...

Which is usually ridiculously slow (from our usual perspective) for first timers. Why that pace has to be regulated?
The pace wouldn't really be regulated at the lower levels as the amount that would tick away would only be a tiny fraction of what a normal character (even a new player that is just learning) usually rakes in, the effects would get quite noticeable later though.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby shubla » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:08 pm

All people who say that its just a skill cap are stupid, because it is not, and should stop posting in this thread before they understand what the OP suggest.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby terechgracz » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:17 pm

shubla wrote:All people who say that its just a skill cap are stupid, because it is not, and should stop posting in this thread before they understand what the OP suggest.

Yea shubla you understand it very well, except probably everything about it. It is stat cap, Granger already shown that using plots bro. With decay you can hit such stats which would instantly be decayed.

I've proposed 2 caps first cap before turning on decay, and second one that Granger proposed with decay mechanic. Here is my plot:

terechgracz

Postby Granger » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:29 pm

One of the reasons why I decided against a level below which the decay stops is that this allows to pre-produce alts that can be hibernated (idiocracy style) till they might be useful.

Another reason is to attach a maintenance cost to alts, which at the moment doesn't exist as currently you bring it up to the needed level to eg. forage stuff and it'll can operate till the end of the world without any further need for LP or FEP.

Which are both things I would like to kill off as a side effect of this suggestion.
Granger

Postby terechgracz » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:36 pm

Granger wrote:One of the reasons why I decided against a level below which the decay stops is that this allows to pre-produce alts that can be hibernated (idiocracy style) till they might be useful.

Another reason is to attach a maintenance cost to alts, which at the moment doesn't exist as currently you bring it up to the needed level to eg. forage stuff and it'll can operate till the end of the world without any further need for LP or FEP.

Which are both things I would like to kill off as a side effect of this suggestion.

That's nice thought but, in my mind i'd want being said that X is your midpoint of game, you won't decay untill you get there. Let's say this X be such to allow you to kill boars, bears, overall get standard industry going. This would mean quality from that level would be mediocre but quality that goes above that point is getting really valuable items because of industry going on. This would allow most people feel safe for their stats but still forcing 'big bois' to give more and more effort.
Alts which are on that X level are useless untill you shove another thousands feps so you have to keep your stats because you'll stop being able to produce valuable goods.
terechgracz

Postby Granger » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:43 pm

terechgracz wrote:That's nice thought but, in my mind i'd want being said that X is your midpoint of game, you won't decay untill you get there. Let's say this X be such to allow you to kill boars, bears, overall get standard industry going. This would mean quality from that level would be mediocre but quality that goes above that point is getting really valuable items because of industry going on. This would allow most people feel safe for their stats but still forcing 'big bois' to give more and more effort.
Alts which are on that X level are useless untill you shove another thousands feps so you have to keep your stats because you'll stop being able to produce valuable goods.

That X level exists, it would be 10 for attributes.
It has been proven every world so far it's possible to kill boars and bears on day one, so your requirement is already met.
Granger

Postby terechgracz » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:59 pm

Granger wrote:
terechgracz wrote:That's nice thought but, in my mind i'd want being said that X is your midpoint of game, you won't decay untill you get there. Let's say this X be such to allow you to kill boars, bears, overall get standard industry going. This would mean quality from that level would be mediocre but quality that goes above that point is getting really valuable items because of industry going on. This would allow most people feel safe for their stats but still forcing 'big bois' to give more and more effort.

That X level exists, it would be 10 for attributes.
It has been proven every world so far it's possible to kill boars and bears on day one, so your requirement is already met.

It's more fun to have 200 ua and have nice industry going.
terechgracz

Postby shubla » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:08 pm

terechgracz wrote:
shubla wrote:All people who say that its just a skill cap are stupid, because it is not, and should stop posting in this thread before they understand what the OP suggest.

Yea shubla you understand it very well, except probably everything about it. It is stat cap, Granger already shown that using plots bro. With decay you can hit such stats which would instantly be decayed.

I've proposed 2 caps first cap before turning on decay, and second one that Granger proposed with decay mechanic. Here is my plot:

Its not a statcap.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby terechgracz » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:23 pm

shubla wrote:Its not a statcap.

What's not?
terechgracz

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas