In-person item exchange dialogue / interface thing

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: In-person item exchange dialogue / interface thing

Postby jorb » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:53 pm

Nope. I love that there is an element of betrayal possible in trade. This otherwise accomplishes nothing that cannot already be accomplished with chests and containers.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:09 pm

Why is everyone talking about betrayal and secure trade? I'm not suggesting removing the possibility of betrayal/theft, my post was essentially a QoL suggestion.

This is now the 5th time I've had to walk all the way off the village claim to give a newborn even just a coat to protect her from the cold. Plenty of chests and containers around; still have to walk off the claim. It would be nice to not have to in a whole variety of situations similar to this.

Postby loftar » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:02 pm

It might not necessarily be a bad idea to be able to open up what is essentially a "virtual chest" between two hearthlings just to hand/show each other stuff without having to drop them on the floor. That being said, I'm not sure if it's worth the extra UI and flower-menu options and stuff for what feels to me like a marginal thing, but I don't think I'm intrinsically opposed to the idea, and I might perhaps be able to accept the idea that it's less marginal to others than to me.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:11 pm

I'm not the one to judge whether the idea is marginal or even at all appropriate for HnH. I just wanted my suggestion to be understood for what it was -- a QoL thing, not a request for safer trading -- is all.

Postby Granger » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:24 pm

loftar wrote:might perhaps be able to accept the idea that it's less marginal to others than to me.

A wise perspective.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:15 pm

✧ wrote:Why is everyone talking about betrayal and secure trade? I'm not suggesting removing the possibility of betrayal/theft, my post was essentially a QoL suggestion.

Look at the design of the UI element you posted. This is why. Two boxes for inventory, two checkboxes for confirmations. It screams "safe trading." ;)

loftar wrote:It might not necessarily be a bad idea to be able to open up what is essentially a "virtual chest" between two hearthlings just to hand/show each other stuff without having to drop them on the floor. That being said, I'm not sure if it's worth the extra UI and flower-menu options and stuff for what feels to me like a marginal thing,

I don't think it even needs to go that far. I think the item interaction of simply right clicking someone with an item is enough to generate the interaction and the "give"* option to someone. Whether this is desirable or not is a different story, and if it's too abusable as a means to grief other players is another question.

*One could argue that with all the dislike for confirmation boxes around here, then the "give" wouldn't be an option, it's just something the hearthling would do if holding a tool and a target was right-clicked on.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:24 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Two boxes for inventory, two checkboxes for confirmations. It screams "safe trading." ;)

I addressed it in my first post on this topic, though. Did people just not read that part?

✧ wrote:Too safe? (Allow people to use theft on the items in the exchange window then?)

I also liked the "give" idea.

loftar wrote:what feels to me like a marginal thing

It's not much of a bother when I live on a private claim in the middle of the woods and entertain and visit friends sometimes. It's a bigger bother when I live in a big village with a large claim and lots of new/strange people.

Postby Granger » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:13 am

jorb wrote:Nope. I love that there is an element of betrayal possible in trade. This otherwise accomplishes nothing that cannot already be accomplished with chests and containers.

The request for a trade interface comes up on a regular basis, most likely because most multiplayer games have that functionality.

I think it would offer interesting flavor to the game, both by providing visual cues to bystanders that trades are being made (or denied) through emotes played (haggling while the window is open, agreement on success or a decline on the character that aborts with disappointment on the other) and (as this game caters the idea to allow 'be a criminal' playstyles) the ability to employ criminal acts to steal from the window of the other character (dropping scents in the process that should allow initiating combat on the culprit even while having visitor*) - which would allow for fun 'catch the thief' interactions.

* see Scents should allow delivery of justice
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas