Water distillation for higher q

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Water distillation for higher q

Postby MrPunchers » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:45 am

pppp wrote:
MagicManICT wrote: provides a softcap on pretty much everything

Yeah, that's why messing with water q comes with risk of exploding qualities everywhere.

But, let's try with sedimentation which is very basic way of improving water clarity, was used for thousands of years and is still used in water treatment facilities.

TL;DR:
Water left for a while in a barrel / cistern can be carefully drawn to give small bonus in cooking and drinking. Small amount of sediment at the bottom will give small bonus to trees - one tree per barrel max. Abusers will be punished. Random bystanders too.

[hide]For the purpose of sedimentation as a water container we will be considering barrels and cisterns.
Each container will have sediment variable and stale timer. After filling the container the sediment variable starts to slowly rise over time up to 1% of current water amount. In case of barrels if left undisturbed, it will reach max after 72 realtime hours. In case of cisterns it will reach max after one week. Adding water to the container will mix water inside, removing some of sediment, proportionally to the amount of water before and after. Adding more water than already is in the container will remove whole sediment. When sediment is at least 0,2% of current water quantity water will get "cleared" attribute which gives small q bonus when used in crafting recipes (but not for plants). Actual value of bonus depends on sediment quantity and is 0 at 0.2% and max at 1%. Max is 2 for barrels and 5 for cisterns. For the sediment process to start the container must be filled up to at least 10%.
When the container is emptied with small containers (water flask, bottle, bucket, etc) only clean water is removed (meaning all fluid minus sediment), each time with clarity bonus adjusted to the current sediment vs total proportion and capped at it's max.
When the container is emptied to the point only sediment remains it can be extracted and used for watering plants for a +2q (barrel) or +5q (cistern) bonus.
Drawing water with sediment gives "murky water" which may give partial bonus when used for plants (proportionally to sediments vs total) and gives -2(-5) penalty when used for cooking or drinking (yuck!).
Emptying barrel/cistern using another barrel will remix water and reset sediment (and stale timer) to 0.

Using spring water in the proces will give double bonus. Do not get aroused though, the container must be filled to minimum 10% for the sedimentation process to start. That does not stop the stale timer.

Stale timer is a punishment mechanics intended to prevent abusing sedimentation mechanics. Stale timer is 2 weeks for a barrel and six weeks for a cistern. If water becomes stale it gives random -5 to 0 malus to cooking and random -5 to +2 bonus/malus to plants. Stale timer is reset only when the container is fully emptied. Adding water does not influence stale timer.
[/hide]

This implies that completely pure water would be infinite quality, and as you purify it gets it higher q. I will stick to my higher quality, pretentious mineral water.
Suck me good and hard thru my jorts
MrPunchers

Postby pppp » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:11 pm

MrPunchers wrote:This implies that completely pure water would be infinite quality, and as you purify it gets it higher q. I will stick to my higher quality, pretentious mineral water.

Nah.
The RL justification was to let suspended particles settle, supposedly the water that does not leave sand between your teeth and does not make you grit is better. Nothing to do with dissolved minerals.

MagicManICT wrote:Maybe more expensive on the lower end, less expensive per use after n > 10 or such. I think a better balance can be had.

Tamper with exponent then, e.g. 1.5 instead of 2. Though I like how realms increasing well q sooner or later hit the wall of prohibitive costs.
pppp

Postby jorb » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:49 pm

sabinati wrote:they could just make dig deeper cost scale with the current quality of the well instead of how it scales currently so raising a well from a low q to mid q wouldn't really cost that much

This might actually be a good idea.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby sabinati » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:56 pm

jorb wrote:
sabinati wrote:they could just make dig deeper cost scale with the current quality of the well instead of how it scales currently so raising a well from a low q to mid q wouldn't really cost that much

of course it is, i posted it
sabinati

Postby jordancoles » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:59 pm

I agree with this. Q10-q50 could cost 50k exp and that would be fair imo
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Headchef » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:00 pm

jorb wrote:

yeah great for new people so they can stop searching for 50+ water early on because they can just pull it from their ass because it will cost dirt cheap :roll: maybe change it so all q10 water starts at 50 instead? ¦]
Headchef

Postby jordancoles » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:05 pm

Headchef wrote:
jorb wrote:

yeah great for new people so they can stop searching for 50+ water early on because they can just pull it from their ass because it will cost dirt cheap :roll: maybe change it so all q10 water starts at 50 instead? ¦]

50k exp (1k xp/Q) would require a bit of questing, but not an unreasonable amount of it. It would be a good bit of early exposure to the questing system for noobs imo
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby sabinati » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:09 pm

Headchef wrote:
jorb wrote:

do you really think having q40-50 water in your base is anything more than a minor convenience of not having to go fetch it in barrels?
sabinati

Postby pppp » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:45 pm

I am with Headchef on that. Finding a spot with good base q should matter.
pppp

Postby sabinati » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:11 am

pppp wrote:I am with Headchef on that. Finding a spot with good base q should matter.

then there should be a way to find water q nodes inland :roll:
sabinati

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas