Water distillation for higher q

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Water distillation for higher q

Postby Headchef » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:33 am

sabinati wrote:
pppp wrote:I am with Headchef on that. Finding a spot with good base q should matter.

then there should be a way to find water q nodes inland :roll:

Yes sure, build a well and find out? Also most things are found by finding a good water spot and then make well in land to see if it go up? Why you want to make it easier?
Headchef

Postby pppp » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:15 am

sabinati wrote:then there should be a way to find water q nodes inland :roll:

There is, just build a well, more than one.
Knowing basics of optimization methods might help might help.
pppp

Postby sabinati » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:03 am

no shit, build a bunch of fucking wells. that's fun engaging gameplay for you?
sabinati

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:24 am

I built a few wells to find some good water... 1000 rope was needed. Was fun for all involved. It kept us busy working like ... ok, I can't think of a good analogy that won't insult someone out there, but I think you all get my point. I think 1000 rope is a pittance compared to what some of our players have done over the years.

That was is a bit of a limiting factor in quality growth is probably a good thing unless a positive means of slowing it down in other methods can be achieved that doesn't make the game feel like even more of a chore rather than a virtual life.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Headchef » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:31 pm

sabinati wrote:no shit, build a bunch of fucking wells. that's fun engaging gameplay for you?

The rest of the game also isnt so for concistency sake we should keep everything a pain....
Headchef

Postby Lyrq » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:18 pm

bump, because of still addition
Lyrq

Postby Sevenless » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:27 pm

Sevenless wrote:
loftar wrote:
kirion wrote:Can we get fresh water from saltwater with the Still?

Not right now. Not entirely sure about the quality consequences of that compared to deep-dug wells. Opine if you will.

The highest natural spawning resources tend towards 60, with most people relying on Q55ish. Best well probably won't go past Q100 much, if it does reach there. Best well I know of is Q80 at the moment. Still is pure metal, and I have a Q200 cauldron without being anywhere near world best. Usually when you process things, we'll see the product being 1/2 input + 1/4 fuel + 1/4 processing object. Black coal can push fuel quality up to at least equal metal pretty trivially. Most developed villages would be able to distil, assuming we used that formula, q125 or better water at this stage of the world, with the gap compared to deep dug wells continuing to widen over time.

There would be far less incentive for developed villages to find and deep digging communal wells, and people with metal quality would have one more edge against everyone that doesn't.

Note: I haven't built one, don't have metal to make a nice one atm. Not sure if they use coal or not. But If sticks are needed as fuel instead, the quality can still be pushed quite high via axes. Overall the conclusion doesn't change much.

Sevenless wrote:
shubla wrote:Obviously the still softcaps the products so you need not worry that it would ruin wells if you could distill salt water ¦]

Honestly, I figure it'd be more interesting to work with the seasalt it'd produce instead. New spice?

I don't think distilling good Q water due to metal quality would be a better mechanic than what we have. It'd be annoying and it'd give even more advantage to metal quality (which we honestly don't need).

It's not a good addition.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Lyrq » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:39 pm

well just give still flat bonus of let's say 20% to distilling water
Lyrq

Postby Sevenless » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:04 pm

Lyrq wrote:well just give still flat bonus of let's say 20% to distilling water

Not broken, but would it be fun? It certainly isn't realistic/immersive, so that angle doesn't make sense. You can distill water for plants (them dying from it appears to be a myth), but plants like the minerals in water generally so it's not done IRL.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby SavageFox » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:57 pm

distilled water can be s*** for plants but good for baking and other crafts
distilling salt water should also give you some salt
you should also get mineral mud at the end of it you can use for something maybe clay or potting soil

also if it's done this way there's no distilling Loop
SavageFox

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas