Water distillation for higher q

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Water distillation for higher q

Postby Fierce_Deity » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:57 am

Eh...could be fine. Most other things increase in Q anyways after all. Except sand & glass, which will cap anything made by your idea pretty hard. Need a way to grind sandstone into sand.
Fierce_Deity

Postby AvalonNight » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:33 pm

Fierce_Deity wrote:Need a way to grind sandstone into sand.

The grinding part may not be strictly necessary, but they do make sandstone into glass... Funny I never thought of this before.
AvalonNight

Postby discospaceman » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:53 pm

AvalonNight wrote:
Fierce_Deity wrote:Need a way to grind sandstone into sand.

The grinding part may not be strictly necessary, but they do make sandstone into glass... Funny I never thought of this before.

Not sure about this. hi q sandstone is super easy to come by. I think there should be more regional goods caused by nodes and caps like sand.

Not unlike natural wonders, but these are a little too easily claimed/defended for the buffs they provide.
discospaceman

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:53 pm

jorb wrote:Thought about it a couple of times. May happen, but haven't found a good mechanic.

well, you already made compost bins for soil, so maybe you can use other idea's from list?
tl;dr - "compost bins" for water (made of glass and filled with coal) and "wrought forge" for sand (but crumlbing instead of smithing).
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby Headchef » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:32 pm

Enjoyment_2 wrote:
jorb wrote:Thought about it a couple of times. May happen, but haven't found a good mechanic.

well, you already made compost bins for soil, so maybe you can use other idea's from list?
tl;dr - "compost bins" for water (made of glass and filled with coal) and "wrought forge" for sand (but crumlbing instead of smithing).

Bad idea because completely removes very important aspect from realm - being able to get xp to deepen well.
Water should be hard to get high q from.
If you implement this mechanic, sure there will be a difference in result of distilled water or whatever but still everyone will get very easy access to five-folds of quality of what they have now. Bad.
Headchef

Postby pppp » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:57 am

Headchef wrote:Bad idea because completely removes very important aspect from realm - being able to get xp to deepen well.
Water should be hard to get high q from.
If you implement this mechanic, sure there will be a difference in result of distilled water or whatever but still everyone will get very easy access to five-folds of quality of what they have now. Bad.

Have to agree, mostly. A dug deeper well as a valuable resource that can be improved infinitely at a cost ¦] is a good thing. I kind of liked Salem approach of player-built quality in contrast to natural quality. A well placed on a naturally good spot and dug deeper merges the two ways of acquiring quality.

I also like the idea of upgrading water q by distillation or filtering, but this has to be severely limited and be considered a low-tier alternative to digging deeper AND it must be significantly less efficient if input water comes from a dug deeper well. It was fun to blow up a house in early Salem if one abused pressure cookers too much. But that would require adding stability factor to water (which would be already bad in case of water from upgraded wells). Not sure if there is space for this kind of alchemy in H&H.

Also, I do not think distilled water is actually good for plants, for animals (chicken, rabbits) or for cooking. It might be good for some branches of industry.
Alternatively we may get a new wound (Dysentery) if ingested water (directly or as a part of a recipe) was not boiled or filtered at some point of the production.
pppp

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:34 am

What makes certain water sources valuable to some people? Mineral content. The right blend of the right minerals makes your bread dough a bit fluffier or hearty, adds just the right zing to a drink, or otherwise makes for something better. Filtering and distilling ruin this. On the other hand, purer water is more valuable in other uses. Nobody pays $3 a bottle for distilled water, though, because technology makes distillation and filtering cheap and easy.

Quality as a number is an abstraction. What, exactly, goes into making this or that water more perfect? Who knows, and who cares, as long as there is some way to improve it over time. That's my opinion. The balance, I think, is going to be how quickly and how far each number can be applied. Currently, well quality is a major pivot point in the game, and we're at a point it provides a softcap on pretty much everything either directly through crafted item quality, or indirectly through tree quality.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby pppp » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:05 pm

MagicManICT wrote: provides a softcap on pretty much everything

Yeah, that's why messing with water q comes with risk of exploding qualities everywhere.

But, let's try with sedimentation which is very basic way of improving water clarity, was used for thousands of years and is still used in water treatment facilities.

TL;DR:
Water left for a while in a barrel / cistern can be carefully drawn to give small bonus in cooking and drinking. Small amount of sediment at the bottom will give small bonus to trees - one tree per barrel max. Abusers will be punished. Random bystanders too.

For the purpose of sedimentation as a water container we will be considering barrels and cisterns.
Each container will have sediment variable and stale timer. After filling the container the sediment variable starts to slowly rise over time up to 1% of current water amount. In case of barrels if left undisturbed, it will reach max after 72 realtime hours. In case of cisterns it will reach max after one week. Adding water to the container will mix water inside, removing some of sediment, proportionally to the amount of water before and after. Adding more water than already is in the container will remove whole sediment. When sediment is at least 0,2% of current water quantity water will get "cleared" attribute which gives small q bonus when used in crafting recipes (but not for plants). Actual value of bonus depends on sediment quantity and is 0 at 0.2% and max at 1%. Max is 2 for barrels and 5 for cisterns. For the sediment process to start the container must be filled up to at least 10%.
When the container is emptied with small containers (water flask, bottle, bucket, etc) only clean water is removed (meaning all fluid minus sediment), each time with clarity bonus adjusted to the current sediment vs total proportion and capped at it's max.
When the container is emptied to the point only sediment remains it can be extracted and used for watering plants for a +2q (barrel) or +5q (cistern) bonus.
Drawing water with sediment gives "murky water" which may give partial bonus when used for plants (proportionally to sediments vs total) and gives -2(-5) penalty when used for cooking or drinking (yuck!).
Emptying barrel/cistern using another barrel will remix water and reset sediment (and stale timer) to 0.

Using spring water in the proces will give double bonus. Do not get aroused though, the container must be filled to minimum 10% for the sedimentation process to start. That does not stop the stale timer.

Stale timer is a punishment mechanics intended to prevent abusing sedimentation mechanics. Stale timer is 2 weeks for a barrel and six weeks for a cistern. If water becomes stale it gives random -5 to 0 malus to cooking and random -5 to +2 bonus/malus to plants. Stale timer is reset only when the container is fully emptied. Adding water does not influence stale timer.
pppp

Postby Headchef » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:48 pm

No to all propositions of improving water for peasants, get in contact with realms who have better or just deal with it.

No matter what real life purifying method or whatever you try to include in n your argument I don't care as making water easier to raise has bad consequence on rest of qualities.
Headchef

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:32 am

Headchef wrote:No to all propositions of improving water for peasants, get in contact with realms who have better or just deal with it.

And a big fuck you, too! ¦] In all seriousness, I shouldn't have to rely on traveling to other unreliable players to get better water. If I'm willing to put up a reasonable expense, then so be it.

Headchef wrote:making water easier to raise has bad consequence on rest of qualities.

I agree, it should be expensive. I'd argue that "Dig Deeper" is entirely too easy for realms to use up to n number of times, though after those uses, it becomes a bit too silly. Maybe more expensive on the lower end, less expensive per use after n > 10 or such. I think a better balance can be had.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas