Meaningful Rewards for a New Dungeon

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Meaningful Rewards for a New Dungeon

Postby jacksonblu » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:46 am

A problem that was discussed during the dev stream was the issue of creating meaningful and differentiated dungeon rewards. With the release of the Bat Cave, the number of dungeons has increased to two. While the Bat Cave and Beaver Lodge are fairly easy for some the titan characters that have been built up over the course of world 10, they are still far too difficult for a new player, even when in a group. The idea for a Ant-Hill themed beginner-friendly dungeon has been passed around quite frequently and I think it would be fitting for a new player's introduction to dungeons/group-based content. The idea of a very easy/soloable dungeon come with its own problem though: "What reward would a new player value, that wouldn't be abused and farmed to oblivion by 10k stat titans?"

I present: The Honeypot Ant!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeypot_ant

An item that would drop from the boss of an Ant-Hill Dungeon, which when fed (via rightlick) to a leashed animal in the process of being tamed, would cause said animal to be instantly tamed! A problem that new players may encounter is the obstacle of needing livestock, which are locked behind a lengthy time-investment. This reward would be fairly useful to a new player, while not being too problematic in the hands of a late-game player, as they have no need for more livestock when they already have high-quality livestock of their own.

This is just one of many potential rewards for an early-game dungeon. Feel free to give you feedback or suggest reward ideas of your own!
Last edited by jacksonblu on Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
jacksonblu

Re: Meaningful Rewards for a New Dungeon

Postby Fierce_Deity » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:53 am

Kind of a stretch with the instant taming thing. So i'm a firm no on that portion of the idea. Honeypot ant sounds more like something you would just happen to find in an ant dungeon, not be the end all reward for clearing it. Completing bat dungeon makes bats never aggro, and I think beaver has the health boost.
I feel like an ant dungeon should be something more...ant related. The honeypot ant could become something obtainable while raiding ant hills, or ant hills may have a chance not to aggro when raiding, or the amount of things you get from an anthill is increased, or even all ant hills raided get a 2X quality boost. Any of those makes more sense to me than some nutty insta tame mechanic.
Fierce_Deity

Postby stya » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:48 pm

Bats also have the health boost
stya

Postby synaris » Tue May 01, 2018 2:45 pm

i love the idea of honeypot ants but im not too keen on tameable giant ones. unless an assload of effort is involved. why should newbies get something so badass? and since higher levels on industry need to be more rewarding, these ants obviously couldnt make as much honey as proper bee skeps.

so why should something so badass also be so easily outclassed?
Newbie and noob do not mean the same thing.

Neither do figuratively and literally.
synaris

Postby Leon232 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:24 am

synaris wrote:i love the idea of honeypot ants but im not too keen on tameable giant ones. unless an assload of effort is involved. why should newbies get something so badass? and since higher levels on industry need to be more rewarding, these ants obviously couldnt make as much honey as proper bee skeps.

so why should something so badass also be so easily outclassed?

did you misunderstand his post? tamable ants? no, he proposed an ant to DROP (like a soldier ant curio) that had the ability to instantly tame out an animal(one that already exists in game) maybe have the ants added to anthills as the reward and only have it "quell" an aggrod animal your taming, giving you credit for that part of the taming, rather than be instant.
Leon232

Postby Gerdgen » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:07 am

Gerdgen

Postby Spin2Win » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:54 am

hmmmmmmmm
Sic Parvis Magna; Greatness from small beginnings.
Spin2Win

Postby zebratul » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:18 am

While i personally would love to see more dungeons, especially solo-able ones, you severely underestimate the importance of having tamed animals ASAP at the beginning of the new world. You're wrong to assume that dedicated players have no need for such reward. An item like this completly removes the need for taming process. Bad idea, in general.
zebratul

Postby Aceb » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:11 pm

I don't wanna see solo dungeons, unless those are noob-friendly, where basically You're overstated for it.
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Return to Critique & Ideas