Rename pclaim "trespassing" to "trespassing & murder"

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Rename pclaim "trespassing" to "trespassing & murder"

Postby » Wed May 02, 2018 10:57 pm

Regarding castle doctrine:

jorb wrote:If you have trespassing rights on a claim, you may attack people on that claim per castle doctrine. This particular interaction is complex and a bit obscure, but we feel on balance that a simple rule is preferable to special rules for the claim owner.

Renaming "trespassing" to "trespassing & murder" in the permissions list for pclaims would make this a lot less confusing, and move this from "obscure and strange edge case" to "easily understandable mechanic that everybody knows about".

I've talked to a few people about this interaction after being surprised to find my friends and I could attack each other on my claim. Almost to a person, everyone I shared this information with was surprised and alarmed that we could attack/kill each other, and proceeded to explore how exactly the permissions worked to satisfy their confusion. It would be nice if it was clearer.

If the devs feel like revisiting this mechanic at some point, imo it would be nice to be able to allow people to walk on my claim without giving them permission to kill anyone on the claim. I'd been planning to have an open, publicly accessible place on my claim, probably making use of visitor debuff. But now that I've realized the way the mechanics work, this feels like it puts myself and any visitors in more danger than I'd ideally like.
Last edited by on Thu May 03, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Re: Friend attacked me without Rage

Postby Tammer » Thu May 03, 2018 12:42 am

✧ wrote:it would be nice to be able to allow people to walk on my claim without giving them permission to kill anyone on the claim.

This. Could it just be moved to vandalism?
Tammer

Re: Friend attacked me without Rage

Postby Attas » Thu May 03, 2018 2:19 am

Agreed. Not sure if at some point we should move this to Critiques & Ideas, since jorb stated that this is not a bug.
Attas

Re: Revist of claim permissions

Postby MagicManICT » Thu May 03, 2018 7:00 am

Split this off from a thread in Bugs. The post should have gone here in the first place as it's clearly not a bug, but a request for changes to game mechanics.

Feel free to retitle the thread to something more appropriate.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Re: Rename pclaim "trespassing" to "trespassing & murder"

Postby kirion » Fri May 04, 2018 1:42 am

Didn't knew about that, i agree about moving the possibility of murder to 'vandalism'.

EDIT : Simply put, i have no idea of WHY is it that the visitor debuff allow people the permission of committing a crime (murder). If that's true, that is.
kirion

Re: Rename pclaim "trespassing" to "trespassing & murder"

Postby jorb » Tue May 15, 2018 12:43 am

Will consider.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Return to Critique & Ideas