Named or elite wild animals

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Named or elite wild animals

Postby Jalpha » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:27 am

As titled. Named or elite mobs with a different combat deck including some random special moves. Not really asking for better loot just more dynamic PvE encounters.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Re: Named or elite wild animals

Postby shubla » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:19 am

I guess that it would be neat to have alpha males and alpha females for some animals, which would be stronger and maybe more plentiful in quality and amount of butcher products than other individuals of the species.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Jalpha » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:28 am

I like the naming suggestion. I don't consider extra harvested resources the priority.

It's a suggestion meant to make fighting animals more dangerous and more exciting. With more variety.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:59 pm

If anyone here played EQ back in the early days (through first expansion or two) when you had to pretty much party up past level 10 as only a couple of classes could solo grind levels (and only then in specific areas with good gear), they might remember the "A orc" spawns of Oasis and similar spawns elsewhere. (For those that want a story, I might recall one or two to share.)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Jalpha » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:26 pm

I love a good yarn. I'll share one of my own from the WoW beta.

In Silverpine Forest there was a roaming elite NPC Son of Arugal who was several levels above everything else in the area. Frequently it would wander into one of the quest hubs where it would fight and murder all of the NPCs and their guards. I thought it made the world interesting and dynamic. Most people just wanted to get their quests done in the couple of hours they had after work though. It made a lot of work for the GMs because there was no incentive for the players of sufficient level to come and kill it.

That's not so much what I'm asking for, although I think it would be fun to have an NPC powerful enough to bother the trade hubs.

Just providing options to bother botters and the cheesing of animals. We have two subsets of players who hunt. The grinders who just want to cheese easy mobs and grind them into sausage. The fighters bored of predictable combat. (Arguably you could add botters to this and set triggers which spawn a high tier mob. Like when someone chops two hundred trees down at once...)

Grinders want to grind though, so that feature shouldn't be removed. It probably should take more care and thoughtfulness to grind animals.

Anyway, please share.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby Luanes » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:06 pm

I like the overall idea of animals with one "stronger" variety. But, imo, it would be more exciting if the base stat of animals be more random. Like random between 50% to 300% from today's values. So, for the animals after badger / fox / birds, it "can" be a challenge even if you've already defeated the animal before.
Luanes

Postby Massa » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:15 am

we have them they're in these cool caves and beaver dams

nothing cool about a beefed up boar that still gives dumb boar shit and shit boar lp named XXX SWINE SMASH THE RAGING COOLFUCK XXX
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby Kaios » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:42 am

Boar Vessel 600-500 BC Estruscan ceramic would be a good name for boar elite
Kaios

Postby Jalpha » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:10 am

Nothing meant to be cool about it. This isn't wow with silver rares and gold elites with unique loot tables.

It's a subtle part to the puzzle of players constantly cheesing animals. Somebody doesn't want to have to put together combat decks which might end up being almost totally useless against an "alpha" animal?

Dungeons are another grind. Mortar and pestle that stuff all you want. Instances have no effect on issues which affect the world map.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby shubla » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:15 am

Jalpha wrote:Nothing meant to be cool about it. This isn't wow with silver rares and gold elites with unique loot tables.

It's a subtle part to the puzzle of players constantly cheesing animals. Somebody doesn't want to have to put together combat decks which might end up being almost totally useless against an "alpha" animal?

Dungeons are another grind. Mortar and pestle that stuff all you want. Instances have no effect on issues which affect the world map.

Its only natural that there would be some stronger individuals, would provide some variation.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas