Remove in-game time

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Remove in-game time

Postby thesourceofsadness » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:44 am

loftar wrote:
Ardennesss wrote:Fair point. Why is there a particular reason everything can't just change over to ingame time for consistency of conversion?

Well, as I said above, some things are actually specified in terms of real time, so it seems to make sense to present them that way. I guess you could argue for forgoing that just for the sake of consistency, and that's not necessarily a bad point. I guess my main problem with it is that, since the real-to-ingame time factor isn't exactly 3, but 3.29, those times would be just... ugly. For instance, realm challenges take two real-time hours, which would then be presented as 6:34:48, a completely unacceptably un-numerological value.

I'unno. Probably the fix that would make the most sense would indeed be to discard the hypothetical scenario above, remove in-game time and just present everything as real time. Arguably, my main problem with doing so isn't even discarding the hypothetical expedition scenario, but just that I like, and am quite attached to,the idea that the in-game day/night-cycle is specified in terms of 24 in-game hours. If you just give me a few months, I might be able to cry myself out of the illusion that I can have nice things. ;_;

Why don't you make every timer in in-game time and adjust numbers to look pretty? Like 6:34:48 to 6:00 or 6:30. If someone will cry that it's not comfortable - c'mon, game immersion is more valuable and rare thing these days. We really need in-game day to be 24 hours, not some ugly ammount of real-life hours.
thesourceofsadness

Postby Aceb » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:29 am

Or simply to make things funnier - apart from having both times different font, just put the in-game time as "in nights" like "this construction can be built after 3 nights passes" or "this should be ready soon" etc. etc., having only real-time hours accurate. I hope You can get the idea.
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby Granger » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:13 am

Aceb has reasonable idea, I think. Custom clients would still show exact time wherever they would be able to do that.

But honestly, in case you want consitency have all times internal as ingame time (so you don't do the mars lander thing where they faceplated it by doing the math in feet and the code in meters - or the other way around, forgot, it's just confusing) and one (!) function to format time for output.
And a toggle in the client options, so the user can decide if he want's to live on realtime or the ingame one.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby noindyfikator » Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:55 pm

jorb wrote:I'd agree with you, but the problem is that all durations are set in ingame time terms. That would require a pretty significant rewrite of things.

If all durations are set in ingame time why do you display them randomly as in-game hours or real-life hours? I think you are wrong my friend
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas