The rolling gray fields of the underworld

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

The rolling gray fields of the underworld

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:37 pm

Of all the things I'd like to see changed in an upcoming world, the end of a flat underground would be one of them. The underground should be full of multi-level chasms, rolling floors, cliffs, pools, and more.

Floors should rarely be even, though they should be levelable with enough time and a pickaxe. While all other aspects of the underground would remain effectively unchanged this would be a vast improvement over its current state.

The one complication I see comes with mining and digging in this newly rolling underground, but that complication could likely be solved by incorporating what would be, in essence, underground terraforming.

Have ore and stone veins appear not at just different x/y areas, but different z levels within that mine "level" as well. It would certainly make prospecting for ore and such more dynamic and involved, and make the underground truly interesting.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Re: The rolling gray fields of the underworld

Postby SlicingTheMoon » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:40 am

It sounds interesting but a bit too complicated...
How about tunneling? connecting tunnels will be weird as hell...
I think i would simply like to start with underground bioms, like different moss/grass areas, and stuff starting to grow in those specific areas instead.
Always working on intelligent Village Designs.
SlicingTheMoon

Postby Granger » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:51 am

Underground no longer being perfectly flat would have the upside of making it harder to build underground villages, something that currently is simpler then on the surface.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Aceb » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:42 pm

Granger wrote:Underground no longer being perfectly flat would have the upside of making it harder to build underground villages, something that currently is simpler then on the surface.

It might be simplier, but time required to do so and planning is more requiring that one would suspect, giving that You have to be sure no one will attack You from above and You won't mine any trolls plus any more aggresive creatures the deeper You do it.

I just would like to have occassional chasm, bigger crack or high-low terrains (open caves only basically), but still, more flatty underground.
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby Granger » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:06 am

Aceb wrote:
Granger wrote:Underground no longer being perfectly flat would have the upside of making it harder to build underground villages, something that currently is simpler then on the surface.

It might be simplier, but time required to do so and planning is more requiring that one would suspect, giving that You have to be sure no one will attack You from above and You won't mine any trolls plus any more aggresive creatures the deeper You do it.

Non issues if you build it under a lake and have some alts ready to lure the troll into a side tunnel (that you seal afterwards).
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Return to Critique & Ideas