Make claims cost real money

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Make claims cost real money

Postby abt79 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:05 pm

bitza wrote:
jorb wrote:Don't be retarded.

i'm dead ass serious about paid character slots. one of the biggest balance issues ever since the inception of the curio system is how easy it is to create disposable / redundant alts. in world 7 i had like 6 main characters specced for different things to mitigate any possible risks. a farmer, a crafter, 2 combat chars, 2 forager alts on full tradition, not to mention a shitload of garbage alts for claims and scouters and god knows what else. from what i can gather the mechanics related to this haven't changed much, other than it's necessary to do quests to keep up with xp requirements. recent events (gergden, etc) have shown this hurdle to be just a minor speed bump.

i remember old worlds before the curio system came out, where LP was action based. other than how easy it was to bucket bot and whatever else, it was a better system because it required more investment to get that LP you needed other than crafting a few things and doing a few quests. most people i knew back in those days (before the bots became widespread) only had one character, and even the heavy pvp crews of the day had to think hard about whether or not they were going to go out and fight, because fighting or leaving scents meant you put your farmer, carpenter, jewel crafter, etc, on the line. with the right setup now of infrastructure and alts, as we've seen, death is more a minor inconvenience than something to seriously consider every time you left your walls.

so, the proposal is:

each character slot is a one-time cost, like $5 or something. to inherit after a death is free. if the player decides they really need those alts, they'll have to pay up.

if we wanted to not punish the playerbase so much, or put the entire game behind a paywall, the first character in each account could be free. however, this would necessitate some way to allow only a single instance of the haven client per computer (this sort of thing is beyond my expertise so i don't even know if it's possible)

Yikes, then people would just make multiple accounts
abt79

Postby GamingRAM » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:31 pm

If the Nomad playstyle was viable I'd be more OK with allowing verified accounts to exclusively place claims, but alas it isn't.
World 12: Quit at some point.
World 11: Community Fair Worker
World 10: Co-Founder of the Northern Kingdom, Resident of Emerald City, Founder and Mayor of the Hole of Glory, RamZ's Art Emporium at CF, Member of the CFL Rams.
World 9: Founder of SnoopVille, Resident of Emerald City
World 7: Hermit and Neighbor to a dead Korean
GamingRAM

Postby Aceb » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:41 pm

bitza wrote:

create disposable / redundant alts. in world 7 i had like 6 main characters specced for different things to mitigate any possible risks. a farmer, a crafter, 2 combat chars, 2 forager alts on full tradition, not to mention a shitload of garbage alts for claims and scouters and god knows what else. from what i can gather the mechanics related to this haven't changed much, other than it's necessary to do quests to keep up with xp requirements. recent events (gergden, etc) have shown this hurdle to be just a minor speed bump.

So yeah You just went overboard with that. kek

i remember old worlds before the curio system came out, where LP was action based. other than how easy it was to bucket bot and whatever else, it was a better system because it required more investment to get that LP you needed other than crafting a few things and doing a few quests. most people i knew back in those days (before the bots became widespread) only had one character, and even the heavy pvp crews of the day had to think hard about whether or not they were going to go out and fight, because fighting or leaving scents meant you put your farmer, carpenter, jewel crafter, etc, on the line. with the right setup now of infrastructure and alts, as we've seen, death is more a minor inconvenience than something to seriously consider every time you left your walls.

From what I remember, alting was ALWAYS a thing. ALWAYS.

so, the proposal is:

each character slot is a one-time cost, like $5 or something. to inherit after a death is free. if the player decides they really need those alts, they'll have to pay up.

if we wanted to not punish the playerbase so much, or put the entire game behind a paywall, the first character in each account could be free. however, this would necessitate some way to allow only a single instance of the haven client per computer (this sort of thing is beyond my expertise so i don't even know if it's possible)

Let me tell You few things:
1. Pay for character slot wouldn't work because people spend A LOT money on hats and tokens.
2. Most alts are on different accounts ANYWAY.
3. Creating another account just for free char slot, smart huh?
4. I, even with my wooden PC, would be still possible to get around of having open more than 1 instance of Haven. I almost never do it, but possiblity to do so, there is.
5. Usually 2 most important characters are on different accounts, unless someone goes overboard like You.
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby Granger » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:58 am

Reading this topic I vaguely remebered this.

Still willing to put my money where my mouth is, with some changes to what would (apart from subscription only) be different: Most likely I could settle for tying the qualities harder to what can be found in the world (by removing most of the spiraling by making tools softcap instead of their quality being a multiplicator in the craft formula), an initial massive nerf to charisma (in questing and feasting), less multiplication in symbel/feast, salt turned into a spice (with overconsumption debuffs for them), a sane satiation/boredom mechanic for both food (no more drinking away satiations) and curiosities (no longer having an absolute top-16), study tables no longer refillable by 3rd parties, claims only refilling authority/presence while on them (no 'fill now' button anymore), harder authority drain for natural resources AND decay for character stats (kicking in softly at 100 and getting harder so 250 is maintainable with more-than-casual grind but no one can outstudy/-eat level 500 for more than a few minutes) and items (quality wear for tools and everything that give boni).

This would allow to quickly iterate on balancing that other world regarding any and all mechanics that relate to item quality and character development as any (ill or proper gotten) gains would vanish automatically (through stat and item decay), the quicker the more excessive they were, without permanently fucking over everyone that didn't exploit the shit out of specific defects. After spending some initial time on making progression sane the devs could then finally start to work on giving us an endgame (= sane siege and whatnot).
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby blank » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:05 pm

lol. why isn't this in hel yet??
blank

Postby Myrgard » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:30 pm

Well people, tbh this game is already pay to win and stas already COST money, in competitive pvp at least.

If you want top lvl str/agi/con/char you need to eat tons of peppered cheese, far more than you could make even with bots, so you buy sub tokens and use those to pay others to give you those tons of cheese and pepper.
Myrgard

Postby wonder-ass » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:31 pm

Myrgard wrote:Well people, tbh this game is already pay to win and stas already COST money, in competitive pvp at least.

If you want top lvl str/agi/con/char you need to eat tons of peppered cheese, far more than you could make even with bots, so you buy sub tokens and use those to pay others to give you those tons of cheese and pepper.

or youre a smart guy and sell lots of items from your godly production for gq and buy the pepper with the TONS of gq that you accumulated.
you dont need tokens what so ever.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby SZklana » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:42 pm

only acceptable payment in HnH i see only for custom skins, one-time payment, little buff to lp, exp and bag- size , sketch-pages and i would like to see titles, seasonal skins (not onty for hearthling but animals and maybe building items or tools/weap too) and service like change name / gender of your character
SZklana

Postby shubla » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:13 pm

SZklana wrote:and service like change gender of your character

I think devs might get in trouble if they want people to pay money for that!!
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby neeco » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:08 pm

This needs to be quoted in a lot of threads.
W9: Hermit
W10: LS of EoCity
W11: God King Emperor of the East [Retired]
W12: Wouldn't you like to know

jorb wrote:The running server is the test server.
neeco

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas