A better way to handle animal quality?

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

A better way to handle animal quality?

Postby CaddoPuma » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:46 am

Currently the idea of quality nodes strikes me as unrealistic. I propose we dispense with animal q nodes and have animal qual be a function of the animal's age, capped by the stats of the hunter. In other words, the longer an animal survives without being wounded by a Hearthling, the higher it's quality. Some or all of these hunter stats could be applied:
  • Intelligence (softcap),
  • Exploration (softcap),
  • Stealth (could be either soft or hardcapped. A strong argument could be made for either. Hardcap for realism, Softcap for playability)
  • Perception (hardcap),
  • Survival (hardcap)
CaddoPuma

Re: A better way to handle animal quality?

Postby Aceb » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:10 pm

AFAIK animals spawns only if player is within area / range. Unless something was changed / I was wrong the entire time. Which renders idea bad since if You go too far or your prey walks too far, it will just despawn eventually, so age idea goes away, anyway it would be abused as hell. Imagine anyone being possible to trap a prey inside their pali, walled and left afk char for X time to let it soak with the top Q.

Not to say how some statistic are semi-easy to get to certain level, even if You lower it to 3-digit number.
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby pppp » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:25 pm

I think using wave interference would generate a nice everchanging quality field. 3-4 wave sources located outside of the map generating waves of frequency in single game days and wavelength of 1 to few minimaps should do the trick.
http://www.falstad.com/ripple/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_interference

If there is a need to complicate things, one can use 2D Perlin noise instead of sine wave.
pppp

Postby CaddoPuma » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:57 pm

Aceb wrote:AFAIK animals spawns only if player is within area / range. Unless something was changed / I was wrong the entire time. Which renders idea bad since if You go too far or your prey walks too far, it will just despawn eventually, so age idea goes away,
I have no argument for this.

Aceb wrote:anyway it would be abused as hell. Imagine anyone being possible to trap a prey inside their pali, walled and left afk char for X time to let it soak with the top Q.
So starving to death waiting for 1 animal to q up an unknown amount over an unknown space of time would be abuse, but claiming off a known highq animal node isnt? I think if a Hearthling is hungry or needing leather, curios, bones, etc; he's going to take that animal when he needs it, regardless of its q or age. But if he knows where a node is, he'll go to that place first instead of taking the first animal he finds, the way a true hunter would.

pppp wrote:I think using wave interference...If there is a need to complicate things...
You've already complicated it above my head. And with all that complication, it's still node based.
Last edited by CaddoPuma on Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaddoPuma

Postby Mario_Demorez » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:17 pm

At one point there was a rumor going around that animals spawn less when heartfires exist in an area. So bears would not spawn near big villages. They could incorporate this into the game. The less active areas spawn higher quality Animals. the nodes stay in the game because thats fucking haven and fucking hearth. But the nodes is the baseline quality, if the place is extremely active the quality will just be the node quality. But these areas where no one lives thats "Wild" area the animals, foragables, and anything else would slowly rise in quaity.
Mario_Demorez

Postby Potjeh » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:32 pm

CaddoPuma wrote:instead of taking the first animal he finds, the way a true hunter would.

LOL no. Hunters don't wanna waste their tag on a 4 point buck.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby CaddoPuma » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:47 pm

Potjeh wrote:
CaddoPuma wrote:instead of taking the first animal he finds, the way a true hunter would.

LOL no. Hunters don't wanna waste their tag on a 4 point buck.
That's where the stats caps come in. If he lacks the perception to count the points or the intelligence to realize deer dont roar, then he deserves whatever he gets...or whatever gets him.
CaddoPuma

Postby Aceb » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:55 pm

If highQ node is claimed, nothing spawns. Nothing spawns on claimed area. Also, isn't that another resource jorb would wanted us to fight over, kek.
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby pppp » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:36 pm

CaddoPuma wrote: claiming off a known highq animal node

CaddoPuma wrote:And with all that complication, it's still node based.

Isn't it that your real problem is nodes can be claimed and you are denied access to them ?
I suggested a simple way to make purity animals show up in random areas so there is no one high Q place one can claim but still places with temporarily higher purity can be found, which would be another incentive to travel further away.

Mario_Demorez wrote:At one point there was a rumor going around that animals spawn less when heartfires exist in an area. So bears would not spawn near big villages.

IIRC there was such a thing in legacy.

Aceb wrote:If highQ node is claimed, nothing spawns. Nothing spawns on claimed area. Also, isn't that another resource jorb would wanted us to fight over, kek.

Node can not be claimed but can be donuted with a village claim.
pppp

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:54 pm

CaddoPuma wrote:So starving to death waiting for 1 animal to q up an unknown amount over an unknown space of time would be abuse, but claiming off a known highq animal node isnt? I think if a Hearthling is hungry or needing leather, curios, bones, etc; he's going to take that animal when he needs it, regardless of its q or age. But if he knows where a node is, he'll go to that place first instead of taking the first animal he finds, the way a true hunter would.

No, claiming that area would not be abuse even were it possible, it would be a historically accurate way of managing important hunting areas. Ever heard of a 'King's Forest'? Ever watched Robin Hood? Sure instead of magical claims, they had sheriff's who investigated the crimes and patrolled the forest, but we have magical claims and people can choose to leave criminal scents if they want to hunt there so badly. Then the Sheriff of Rottingham can come run them down. ;)
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas