A better way to handle animal quality?

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: A better way to handle animal quality?

Postby CaddoPuma » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:49 pm

pppp wrote:
CaddoPuma wrote: claiming off a known highq animal node

CaddoPuma wrote:And with all that complication, it's still node based.

Isn't it that your real problem is nodes can be claimed and you are denied access to them ?
No. My real issue is I find it very unrealistic that you can only find ...to borrow an analogy used by someone else earlier... a 16 point buck in a specific region of the world. In the real world, the same forest which "spawns" 16 point bucks also "spawn" what hunters call "points".

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:
CaddoPuma wrote:So starving to death waiting for 1 animal to q up an unknown amount over an unknown space of time would be abuse, but claiming off a known highq animal node isnt? I think if a Hearthling is hungry or needing leather, curios, bones, etc; he's going to take that animal when he needs it, regardless of its q or age. But if he knows where a node is, he'll go to that place first instead of taking the first animal he finds, the way a true hunter would.

No, claiming that area would not be abuse even were it possible, it would be a historically accurate way of managing important hunting areas.
Good point. I never looked at it that way. But claiming them off or donuting them or w/e isnt really my issue. As stated above, it isnt realistic to me to have "trophy animals" only spawn in a specific area when lesser animals of the same species spawn all over.

But at the end of the day, all of this is pointless, seeing how the mechanics dont work the way I thought they did and the very thing I do have an issue with...nodes...is part and parcel of what H&H has always been. I still think it's a good idea, but it isnt a good idea for this game. Maybe when I learn coding, I'll make my game that doesnt have nodes. But until that happens, I'll continue enjoying H&H.
CaddoPuma

Re: A better way to handle animal quality?

Postby shubla » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:29 pm

I like the idea of animals spawning less in areas with people around.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas