Critique: Oceans & Continents

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Critique: Oceans & Continents

Postby abt79 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:32 am

DDDsDD999 wrote:charterstones and roads won't let you get to new continents.

hearths, then
make an alt and give it a HF on the mainland, use it as a porter for your loyal steed
Im really curious how “no charters across ocean” will work though, just a simple range limit on charter travel?
abt79

Postby Ants » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:46 am

I hope charter stones will keep working across continents, at least for now. Otherwise, people who settle on small islands will be completely cut off from the rest of the world.

If charterstones don't work across continents but the whole world is connected by the underground, I imagine people will just build underground roads to get from one place to another.
Last edited by Ants on Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Postby Bauta » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:47 am

I am not sure what to make of their comments on cavern layers below the ocean.
world 5: sprucecap
world 6: hermit
world 7: sprucecap
----
world 10: hermit
Bauta

Postby 2d0x » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:28 am

abt79 wrote:Im really curious how “no charters across ocean” will work though, just a simple range limit on charter travel?

I suppose that is similar to interference between two columns of the usual path. This is the simplest option. More accurate is the "fill" (a la obstacle bypass when moving from point to point). Another option - the formation of a database of charters. When a charter stone is "attributed" to the island. Moving is possible if another charter stone has the same registry.
Excuse me, I don't speak English.
2d0x

Postby Granger » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:53 am

Ants wrote:I hope charter stones will keep working across continents, at least for now.
I hope charterstones are returned to their original function (allow newbies to spawn on them) and the teleportation between them being removed.
Otherwise, people who settle on small islands will be completely cut off from the rest of the world.

Isn't that the whole point of settling somewhere remote?

If charterstones don't work across continents but the whole world is connected by the underground, I imagine people will just build underground roads to get from one place to another.
I also hope that continents are not connectable through underground roads, the ability to fold down the map dimensions to the distance to the next milestone is bad for gameplay (like resulting in only one wallmart style market).
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby uudon » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:19 am

DDDsDD999 wrote: Now you are in the middle of a huge body of water, where the enemy has a huge fleet of knarrs, basically requiring naval combat, which goes back to point 1, where naval combat is stupid.

Naval artillery when?
:^)
uudon

Postby ricky » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:33 am

re: island vaults

if these islands were anything like real islands, they would have quite the coast line (you cant build walls on beaches, right? it's been awhile) to prevent total denial of siege equipment/landing
Have a question? Need help? Tired of people asking questions? Haven and Hearth Wiki.
jorb wrote:Ideally the game should play itself.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
ricky

Postby abt79 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:52 am

ricky wrote:re: island vaults

if these islands were anything like real islands, they would have quite the coast line (you cant build walls on beaches, right? it's been awhile) to prevent total denial of siege equipment/landing

On that note I hope jorbtar force a geyser on at least most islands to prevent those being seiged from being completely fucked by raids
abt79

Postby azrid » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:39 am

Animals will fit on knarrs like jorb said.
About knarr dunk combat I think they need to rework it.
Add grappling hooks to tie knarrs together and make them walkable.
azrid

Postby shubla » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:58 am

We dont know how many continents there will be or how large they willl be, I'd say its a bit too early to make conclusions.

Combat sucks anyway so does it really matter if it happens in a knarr or somewhere else?
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas