Critique: Oceans & Continents

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Critique: Oceans & Continents

Postby Granger » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:51 pm

SaltyCrate wrote:
Yorla wrote:But about those walled island villages - aren't they still siegeble from beneath?

They are not if they have no beneath.

Why wouldn't they have an underground?
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby SaltyCrate » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:57 pm

Granger wrote:Why wouldn't they have an underground?

If its meant as a place to store whatever is valuable (for example, kingdom stone, kingdom statues, criminal hearthfires, top q industry stuff) then the village does not have to have minehole. Anyway, on second thought it is irrelevant, because even if there are mineholes then simply enclosing them with palisade, as is usual already, doesn't add any more weak points to the village.
SaltyCrate

Postby abt79 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:14 pm

SaltyCrate wrote:
Granger wrote:I would expect islands/continents to have rivers, so there shouldn't be any issue with walling them in.

While continents most certainly will have rivers, I expect there would also be a number of small/medium size islands (lets say about 1 minimap sized) which would not have. It can lead to rebirth of legacy-style island vaults/villages which are siegeable only in theory. This is somewhat related concern of mine.

This seems like more of an issue with seige itself. Walled-in island vaults were still clearly possible even in world 10's mapgen
abt79

Postby SaltyCrate » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:21 pm

abt79 wrote:This seems like more of an issue with seige itself. Walled-in island vaults were still clearly possible even in world 10's mapgen

Actually and maybe surprisingly not so much. There were almost no suitable islands in the entire w10 map. But yes this problem isnt the fault of map generator per se. Still it is something to consider.
SaltyCrate

Postby bmjclark » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:24 am

With the changes jorb mentioned to siege on the stream (the owner of a claim gets notified if a ram is built on his claim) it doesn't seem like sieging is going to be really feasible anyways so I don't know why you guys are acting like islands are really the issue here. Bearing in mind that you can't even build walls on an enemy claim so if they extend their v claim 40 tiles past their wall, you literally would just have to camp a ram/catapult for 24 hours just to get into an outer wall of a village, then you'd have to do the same for every plot or wall you wanted to break beyond that.

Small islands may very well be the easiest thing to siege because you won't have layers and layers of walls to break through.
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby DDDsDD999 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:57 am

I just realized we're gonna have no way of transferring horses to other continents besides rafts, if those even work. And that'll take forever. It basically guarantees you can't leave your continent until you have a base set up to breed and hold them on the new continent, otherwise you'll get absolutely rekt if you get ganked (until people have enough exp to freely spam raw hide, which is quite a bit off).

bmjclark wrote:With the changes jorb mentioned to siege on the stream (the owner of a claim gets notified if a ram is built on his claim) it doesn't seem like sieging is going to be really feasible anyways so I don't know why you guys are acting like islands are really the issue here.

I didn't really listen to the details of the stream. It was way too quiet and jorb mostly just rambled a lot, makes it way too hard to follow along. Interesting to note, but I still see plenty of scenarios where islands are problematic.
DDDsDD999

Postby abt79 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:03 am

DDDsDD999 wrote:I just realized we're gonna have no way of transferring horses to other continents besides rafts, if those even work. And that'll take forever. It basically guarantees you can't leave your continent until you have a base set up to breed and hold them on the new continent, otherwise you'll get absolutely rekt if you get ganked (until people have enough exp to freely spam raw hide, which is quite a bit off) .

Charterstone.jpg

Islands are going be either small enough that horses aren’t really needed or large enough that they’ll spwn wild to be tamed anyways so idk
abt79

Postby bmjclark » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:04 am

We should be able to hearth animals to other continents and stuff still, but ya, that part is pretty retarded. I hope to see a new boat that can transport livestock.
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby DDDsDD999 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:22 am

abt79 wrote:
DDDsDD999 wrote:I just realized we're gonna have no way of transferring horses to other continents besides rafts, if those even work. And that'll take forever. It basically guarantees you can't leave your continent until you have a base set up to breed and hold them on the new continent, otherwise you'll get absolutely rekt if you get ganked (until people have enough exp to freely spam raw hide, which is quite a bit off) .

Charterstone.jpg

DDDsDD999 wrote:charterstones and roads won't let you get to new continents.
DDDsDD999

Postby SaltyCrate » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:29 am

DDDsDD999 wrote:charterstones and roads won't let you get to new continents.

I think it is worth noting that devs mentioned that inability to use chartestones across the sea was an ambition, but has not already been implemented. I imagine that it might be not so trivial to make clearly distinction on what counts as "across the sea", and there may be workarounds found if the restriction is not made strict enough. So, I think that there is not insignificant chance that charterstone would still work, despite attempts to the contrary. Which is not to say that there shouldn't be simpler way to transfer animals.
SaltyCrate

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas