Critique: Oceans & Continents

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Critique: Oceans & Continents

Postby Hrenli » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:24 am

azrid wrote:Animals will fit on knarrs like jorb said.

When he said that? During the stream he only answered to such question without giving an ultimate decision if it's gonna be a thing or not...
Too old to rock-n-roll, too young to die.
Hrenli

Postby azrid » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:29 am

I trust he will make it happen.
Sounds like a logical step that has no downsides.
azrid

Postby Hrenli » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:39 am

azrid wrote:I trust he will make it happen.

Well, as someone else mentioned already, Loftar did not look very excited of the prospect https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tekV3IR ... .be&t=6175

But jokes aside I agree it sounds very reasonable, I even thought I maybe missed some info that it's already decided therefore asked you.
Too old to rock-n-roll, too young to die.
Hrenli

Postby Yorla » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:48 pm

Back to the knarr combat issue. Can't the point 1 be solved by making a KOed helmsman immediatly and automaticly a "crew member" and freeing the seat for another member to take? Though in this case all of the crew members have to have a key from the knarr.
And here I should apologize for my spelling... But I won't! Deal with it :P
Yorla

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:53 pm

shubla wrote:Combat sucks anyway so does it really matter if it happens in a knarr or somewhere else?

its not too bad tbh.. i doubt youve ever even pvpd anyways heh....
ChildhoodObesity

Postby Jackwolf » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:14 am

Hrenli wrote:
azrid wrote:I trust he will make it happen.

Well, as someone else mentioned already, Loftar did not look very excited of the prospect https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tekV3IR ... .be&t=6175

But jokes aside I agree it sounds very reasonable, I even thought I maybe missed some info that it's already decided therefore asked you.

Credit where it is due, twas me. :twisted: :lol:

I was just about to post that exact link i have saved.
Beezer12Washingbeard: If poo mechanics were implemented, mercury could cure constipation wounds
magisticus: Most of us avoid making jokes like this because there is always a risk Loftar might think it's a good idea and we all have to re-design our villages for sewerage. -6/29/17
Jackwolf

Postby Potjeh » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:16 pm

Remove melee attacking from boats, it makes no sense. Bows only. Also, make it possible to mount catapults on knarrs so you can move them without damage and building all the way up to coast will be a disadvantage rather than advantage.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby NewCydathria » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:21 am

Ysh wrote:
DDDsDD999 wrote:1. Knarrs
Having to interact with knarrs in a pvp scenario is completely stupid. What happens is everyone on the knarrs target the other knarr's driver, and have attacks queued on him. The instant the knarrs get close enough, the drivers take about 10 hits instantly, typically getting ko'd/killed. The drivers won't be able to port out of the driver's spot for around 40 seconds, leaving their riders as sitting ducks in the middle of who knows how huge of a body of water. Everyone is forced to grab boats out of the knarr or swim, and if the other knarr driver is still up then that entire group is just fucked as they slowly take their turns getting hit by 10 people.

Seems like a problem. Also regarding, ''the drivers won't be able to port out of the driver's spot for around 40 seconds,'' I think on stream they mention not be able to teleport over ocean potentially. I am not sure if this include hearth teleport. It seem to me that current mechanic is not conducive to this kind of ship to ship combats.
DDDsDD999 wrote:2. Pvp implications
If it takes 30 minutes or something crazy to go from one continent to another, the pvpers probably won't bother going to another continent, just for the opportunity to camp outside other pvpers spots and fight them on their home turf. Not only because of the inconvenience, but safe palis will be even more necessary. Not being on your home continent could be a death sentence. The people whose turf you're on likely have their entire fleet of knarrs all over the place, ready to dunk you in knarr combat (point 1) if you try to boat away. Which means you need to maintain safe palis on any continent you plan on going to. It just makes actual fights between people who want to pvp seem more and more unfeasible, and instead those people will just run around terrorizing anyone on their continent with no fear on account of the massive home turf advantage.

It seem expected to me that you will require some beachhead to attack foreign settlement. I think I am not sympathetic to this point. Terrorizing people on his own continent is current state of the game, except whole world is single continent. Every one else on your own continent have the same home turf advantage that you do, because it is also their own home turf. This seem to only be problem if it is too easy to totally embargo entire continent with powerful navy, which seem to be issue of balance of naval combat as in point 1.
DDDsDD999 wrote:3. Island defence
...ee factions deciding to just wall of an entire continent... Attempting to defend a siege camp when you're severely limited on land space...the enemy has a huge fleet of knarrs, basically requiring naval combat,...

... Only real issue here seem to me to be balance of naval combat again. If it is possible to wall in island and patrol with knarr such that it is impossible to siege island, this seems like problem to me...
Until Object-controlled-objects is released and Catas can be set up on knarrs. ;)
NewCydathria

Postby DDDsDD999 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:11 am

NewCydathria wrote:
Ysh wrote:
DDDsDD999 wrote:3. Island defence
...ee factions deciding to just wall of an entire continent... Attempting to defend a siege camp when you're severely limited on land space...the enemy has a huge fleet of knarrs, basically requiring naval combat,...

... Only real issue here seem to me to be balance of naval combat again. If it is possible to wall in island and patrol with knarr such that it is impossible to siege island, this seems like problem to me...
Until Object-controlled-objects is released and Catas can be set up on knarrs. ;)

Why would they change coastal bases from being the strongest in the game to the weakest months into the world. What's even the point of this world reset if they're just gonna fuck the balance of the game anyway.
DDDsDD999

Postby Embers » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:50 am

"object controlled objects" will most probably take a lot of time, enough for the next world. As for knarr combat, maybe give the helmsman some defensive buff so just attacking him is not that effective, or even make him unable to attack and be untargetable while he has crewmembers.
Embers

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas