More boats

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

More boats

Postby Zentetsuken » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:02 am

Okay so jorb said he was thinking to add a very early game boat like a hollowed out log, here are some more boat suggestions to stretch our the spectrum of the boat tiering.

Viking Longboat - This could be a faster rowboat with a small sail, maybe takes a few moer people than what a rowboat does, everybody rows. Maybe that can make it across oceans but can sustain very little damage? Also small inventory, maybe not much more, or maybe no more than rowboat.

Corbita - Basically your standard water wagon. This would be the new "water hunting boat." Maybe this has the same inventory as a wagon, can take a good 4 or so people, is slow, expensive, but can travel through shallows and hold a lot of crap. Basically your answer to midgame rafts? Maybe this can cross oceans but sustain very little damage?

Knarr - Since this is basically just a water wagon meant to be for transport only, AND it's a huge ass boat, maybe they should no longer be ale to cross shallows? Make it for transporting livestock and mass goods across oceans only.

Galley - This should be like on the same tier as Knarr, maybe more expensive I duno. Should be the same size more or less but with very little inventory space. Later I figure the slots that are used for inventory on this boat could also be used to input spear launchers or w/e boat siege type things we will have. This should have higher soak that a knarr, maybe be faster and more specialized for combat. Also maybe not for shallows.

Also we need docks that are for small boats just because.
Zentetsuken

Re: More boats

Postby blinx » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:16 am

And trireremes.
blinx

Postby Adder1234 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:19 am

I think it would be fair just to have a smaller version of the Knarr, a sailing ship that's a bit slower, and can carry roughly 40% as much cargo and people. I'm not saying that we shouldn't have lots of new ships, it's just that we need a smaller, cheaper alternative to Knarrs first.
Adder1234

Postby Hrenli » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:31 am

Adder1234 wrote:we need a smaller, cheaper alternative to Knarrs first.

Exactly. And we should keep in mind that new mapgen will not magically turn HnH into a naval-oriented game.
Too old to rock-n-roll, too young to die.
Hrenli

Postby vatas » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:33 am

Problem with Viking longboats and Triremes is that they'd kind of require oarsmen. And if they would require them, people would just fill them with alts.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Ants » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:21 am

How about boats with rooms in them? Being able to play as a nomadic sea merchant would be pretty cute.

Image Image

vatas wrote:Problem with Viking longboats and Triremes is that they'd kind of require oarsmen. And if they would require them, people would just fill them with alts.

Maybe we could enslave cave goblins.
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Return to Critique & Ideas